Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive
best lowering options for my 2011 335i xdrive

I have done lots and lots of searching but found nothing specific to what I'm looking for.

Basically I want the gap between the wheels and the wheel well gone. I have the M-Package on my car and just want it to look like a non X-Drive 335i with the M-Package. Is there a way to do this without hurting anything? I'm not gonna track my car so it doesn't have to be super high performance and I still want a fairly nice yet sporty ride.

Any ideas on what to go with?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
Vehicle suspension is something that Iím extremely passionate about. I wouldn't suggest pairing up an after market spring with an OEM shock. Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride (what youíre experiencing). This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $700-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more mone5y doing it right the first time around. With that being said, I would most definitely recommend that you go with a coilover system and do it right the first time.

The answer is simple; you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

I'd recommend that you check out the the KW V1 xi coilovers. It will give you the ability to fine tune the car and adjust the ride height to your preference. It's also perfect for an everyday street driven car and will be comfortable for street driving. Below are a couple installed pics for you to check out.

Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!

Last edited by ModBargains.com; 01-02-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
Vehicle suspension is something that Iím extremely passionate about. I wouldn't suggest pairing up an after market spring with an OEM shock. Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride (what youíre experiencing). This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $700-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more mone5y doing it right the first time around. With that being said, I would most definitely recommend that you go with a coilover system and do it right the first time.

The answer is simple; you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

I'd recommend that you check out the the KW V1 xi coilovers. It will give you the ability to fine tune the car and adjust the ride height to your preference. It's also perfect for an everyday street driven car and will be comfortable for street driving.
Thanks for the reply. I definitely wasn't trying to just go the cheap route. I spent a lot of money on the car so I wanna do it right. I guess that was the point I was trying to get across in the post. I will check out the link to the coilovers you posted. Most important thing for me is not to hurt anything when I lower the car and like I said, all i want to do is close that big wheel well gap on the xdrive and give it the standard 335i look.