Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Kid in Queen City

Mein Auto: 1993 325is Coupe

Yeah the Angel Eyes look nice but gives a slight "modded" appearance which I'd prefer to stay away from. I think the non-AE ones look real slick.

Can I get your guys' thoughts on getting the black kidney grills as opposed to the oem chrome??

Adam ///My E36 Adventure /// Xbox Live gamertag - aerodigy

Last edited by Mr. Crimson; 03-16-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudeam Fahren View Post
Unfortunately my dude I dont really have a photo taking mechanism (my phone has broken screen) but I can 300% garuntee you they will look better that angel eyes. When I installed them on friday all my buddies on the racing team (Formula SAE) were like, "Oh my god they look sooo good!" and this is coming from the muscle head southerners at Louisiana State who rarely appreciate old euro cars. Angel eyes look a bit tacky imo. These just look classicaly european. I would really like to know where to buy some laminex though. Also they look far better in person than in google pics where it just looks like yellow lenses on the dippers
Here"s what my Depo's looked like with the city lights and LED bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CityLights.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	428491   Click image for larger version

Name:	CityLights2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	428492   Click image for larger version

Name:	CitylightsLEDbulbs.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	428493  
Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
NICE!!! I've been talking about this for a while, I had no idea they actually made LED headlight bulbs... However looking at them I'm not totally convinced they will be as bright as say Silverstar Halogen bulbs, but they sure look nice and white. Don't the city Depo's have a place for small running light bulbs?

When I do my headlights, I want them bright as possible, I consider it a safety issue. When looking at LED headlights I am finding ones like the one you just posted a picture of, and others that look like they actually require a ballast, and they also have a heat sink on them. I wonder how those compare to standard H.I.D. lights as far as lumens goes.

1996 328iS - OK FINE! It isn't really original now, Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit Sport Suspension
Old 03-16-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
NICE!!! I've been talking about this for a while, I had no idea they actually made LED headlight bulbs... However looking at them I'm not totally convinced they will be as bright as say Silverstar Halogen bulbs, but they sure look nice and white. Don't the city Depo's have a place for small running light bulbs?

When I do my headlights, I want them bright as possible, I consider it a safety issue. When looking at LED headlights I am finding ones like the one you just posted a picture of, and others that look like they actually require a ballast, and they also have a heat sink on them. I wonder how those compare to standard H.I.D. lights as far as lumens goes.
Sorry for the confusion, but I had the LEDs in the city light socket in my Depos, not the main beam light. The incandescent city light bulbs are 10 watt bulbs that put out about the same light as a good flash light. In an area where you're driving low speed and there's street lights they're more than adequate to see with and to be seen. The LED replacement for the city lights were noticeably brighter than the incandescent bulbs but I couldn't find any specs for what the lumens were. Definitely nowhere near the brightness of the main beam head lights (outside light pair, city lights are in the high beam light cavity which is the inside light pair).

Last edited by dc_wright; 03-16-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Ah I see I see, so what were you using for your main low beam and high bulbs? Still though, after looking online they DO make replacement LED bulbs for your low and high beams... When I do this I'm going to have to figure out how to get rid of my daytime running lights, which are my high beam bulbs but only half the wattage. Since mine is Canadian, this is why I have it. There is no possible way for me to turn them off, if my engine is running, my high beams are running (but half the wattage). Which I don't really like, I like to be sneaky if I have to by turning off ALL my lights. I'm assuming when you switch to your low beams, your city lights turn off correct?

1996 328iS - OK FINE! It isn't really original now, Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit Sport Suspension
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Freeway Prince

Mein Auto: E36 328is
The city lights turn off when you turn all your lights off, they stay on if you have any of your lights on. It looks pretty slick, and if you run a 5watt for your cities it'll be pretty low key and very classy(that's what I run) I've never heard of led city lights???

Last edited by Freudeam Fahren; 03-16-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:40 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Yes, I kind of like the idea of a real low key 5 watt city light as well, cause I do think that could look classy, would remind me more of the E30 euro smileys. I think though that I would like to figure out how to make the city lights turn off when I turn on the headlights, there really is no point in the city lights being on at the same time.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Kid in Queen City

So since we're on the topic, here's what's left to do cosmetically (in order of importance/sooner-to-later):
-New Depo Headlights
-Black Kidney Grills???
-Install paint-matched trunk lip spoiler???
-Remove fog lights
-New paint-matched center front license plate trim piece (this one)
-Lower the car & New lower-profile tires (this is both cosmetic and mechanical i guess )
-Paint rims Anthracite/Gun Metal/Dark Silver??? (Plasti-dip)
-Remove hail dents. I counted 15, i'll get some pics for you guys.
-Repaint sunroof panel. Fairly large imperfection in the paint. It's not a physical scratch, rather something in the paint. I'll get a pic of that too.

But yeah after this the car will be be very clean, pretty much near mint, and sitting right where I want it. Sporty but still classy. Please feel free to speculate on the ones listed with question marks.
Now, mechanically and performance-wise?? That's a whole 'nother list So much to do! And this list doesn't even include interior cosmetics (or under-the-hood cosmetics).

As for now, just received the new tweeters that I will install in the doors. If the weather gets nice today (it's sucky and rainy right now) I will attempt to get them in and take some pics.

Last edited by Mr. Crimson; 03-19-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Ah I see I see, so what were you using for your main low beam and high bulbs? Still though, after looking online they DO make replacement LED bulbs for your low and high beams... When I do this I'm going to have to figure out how to get rid of my daytime running lights, which are my high beam bulbs but only half the wattage. Since mine is Canadian, this is why I have it. There is no possible way for me to turn them off, if my engine is running, my high beams are running (but half the wattage). Which I don't really like, I like to be sneaky if I have to by turning off ALL my lights. I'm assuming when you switch to your low beams, your city lights turn off correct?
I wired the city lights to the parking light circuit in the corner lights so when I turned the HL knob the first click I had the corner lights and the city lights only. When I turned on the low beams they were bright enough you didn't really notice the city lights on in the high beam position.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Freeway Prince

I have same set up as DC wright. It actually looks quite nice when the lows and cities are on at the same time.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Freeway Prince

This is what my set up looks like in the day, the night pictures had hella glare from the projectors and foglamps but it should give you a little idea. I have only the parking lights on in this pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140316_001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	428816  
Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Love it!

Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Kid in Queen City

Very nice! I do like that a lot, I will consider it before I get my new headlights.

Any input on my previous post?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Insane in the membrane!

If you are going to put on a spoiler get something unique, like the BMW one with the LED brake light made for the convertibles, or an M-tech one... I've had E36's with and without a spoiler, and either way it's a good look in my opinion. Right now I'm enjoying the sleek look of no spoiler, I just think if you get one it should have some functional purpose, and I think lots of spoiler's out there serve no functional purpose.

WHY would you want to remove your fog lights??? Personally I can't wait to replace mine with some nice yellow ones, maybe I can make them HID too, I want serious lighting when its dark out... or foggy, they would look sporty too.

Also I don't recommend getting lower profile tires on your current rims, your speedo will be off and it will look silly because your wheel wells will look too big for your wheel/tire. Replace your tires if you must, but your current tire size looks perfect to me.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Kid in Queen City

Thank you dwonda!

Like yourself, I like the "sleek" look, nothing flashy on my car. So it's either that small trunk lip spoiler or none at all I like the way that small spoiler keeps the shape of sleek lines that the E36 is known for. And technically any spoiler is "functional" because our cars are RWD now how functional are they? is another matter entirely

I would like to remove the foglights because it looks more sporty to me. Like this and this . They look good for now but when my car starts to look more sport I would like them gone.

And I need smaller tires because of this. (go back a page or two on this thread)
Long story short, my tires are too large for the E36 and cause severe rubbing on the inner wheel well. My options are new rims/tires altogether or just new tires...so I'm opting to go with the cheaper option for now.

Last edited by Mr. Crimson; 03-19-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Oh right right forgot about that. Ya get the proper size tires the car calls for, for sure. I thought maybe you were just one of those people who want super low profile tires without changing their wheel size. Yaaa I don't know, I think yellow fog lights look pretty damn sporty. I hadn't thought of just having like a stick on lip, that could look nice for sure. I think a lip would give more downforce then a lot of spoilers out there.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Aim small, miss small

Mein Auto: '95 525iT, '97 328is
Quote:
... Yaaa I don't know, I think yellow fog lights look pretty damn sporty...
Agreed. I'm about to put some yellow laminx on my fogs and high beams.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
I love yellow fog lights. I wish I could go with the Euro yellow high beam lights as well, but they are illegal here in the communist republic of MD.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 03-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Ya they are probably illegal in NC too!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Freeway Prince

I don't think yellow highbeams are a Europe thing?? Where the hell does one get laminx?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:19 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudeam Fahren View Post
I don't think yellow highbeams are a Europe thing?? Where the hell does one get laminx?
Actually, they are. At one time they were REQUIRED in France. I guess that was the night time version of a surrender flag. (just KIDDING! CALM DOWN you French folk!)

Laminex protective film:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lami...rotective+film

Take your pick of vendor.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 AM
Kid in Queen City

Not the biggest fan of yellow fogs i have a very particular taste i guess

Old 03-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '95 325ic, '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
I guess that was the night time version of a surrender flag.
2008 Acura MDX
2002 GMC Yukon Denali
1996 Mercedes E320 (gone but not forgotten)
2003 Ford Taurus
1995 325ic "Betty"
1999 323i "Uma"

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...714&highlight=
Old 03-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Another reason why I like yellow fogs is I hear that having light in one colour spectrum refracts in the fog less than say white light.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Kid in Queen City

Okay guys I've been thinking about down the road plans and the turbo route interests me very much. I want to start getting a parts list together. My goal is a mild-budget, safe and reliable turbo kit pushing 350, nothing crazy but fun for a DD and occasional track day. Also I've heard to stay away from the ebay kits, so we'll get that out of the way.

my engine is OBD1 M50 single-VANOS. I know people prefer non-vanos but I'm thinking I'll keep my engine how it is. But I'd love to hear opinions.

New injectors? pink tops?
turbo?
intercooler?
euro maf?
piping?
blowoff valve?
CAI?
headers?

any help/explanations/suggestions/links would be appreciated. I've searched but haven't really found concrete results for what i need. Plus i prefer hearing from you guys.