Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-04-2014, 03:42 AM

Mein Auto: 316i 2001
Cold start up problems

Hi guys. My check engine light has just come on 2002 BMW 318iand coincides with very sluggish almost stalling on engine start up. Runs fine after around 5 mins of warming up. Would clean mass airflow sensor help or should I be looking elsewhere.
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
Can't hurt cleaning the MAF, but since the light is on just pull the codes.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 316i 2001
Cheers will check that first and how do I get the codes. I'm not to sure as it's my first BMW
Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Re: Cold start up problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmlk View Post
Cheers will check that first and how do I get the codes. I'm not to sure as it's my first BMW
It could could be your Vanos. Since it's your first BMW check out the E46 wiki. Lots of great information on these cars. To check the codes... Erm... Are there any Autozones in tbe Uk? Or anything similar? You csn get them checked there.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

TIAG 328I ZPP

DIYs: Vanos Oil line, Water Pump w/ Pulley, Radiator Hoses, Valve Cover Gasket, Belts, FSU/FSR, Rear Wheel Bearings, Sway Bar Links, NGK BKR6EQUP Spark Plugs, M1 0W-40 oil changes

Mods: V2.5 Angel Eyes
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
You need to get an OBDII scanner tool. The e46 wiki has more info:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=8014505

Or take to garage and pay their diagnostic fee, unless there are parts shops that will do for free like autozone in US as mentioned above.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 01-04-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 318i E46
Have you found what the issue was? I have the same proiblem. In the morning, if I drive the car without warm up it does not speed up even though I pushed the acceleration pedal.
I suspected the Crank Angle Sensor or dirty transmission oil and replaced them with new ones. But the issue hasn't disappeared.
My OBDII scanner does not generate any faulty codes. Does it relate to dying fuel pump? Amazingly, after 5mins of warm-up I have never had this problem.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze1 View Post
Have you found what the issue was? I have the same proiblem. In the morning, if I drive the car without warm up it does not speed up even though I pushed the acceleration pedal.
I suspected the Crank Angle Sensor or dirty transmission oil and replaced them with new ones. But the issue hasn't disappeared.
My OBDII scanner does not generate any faulty codes. Does it relate to dying fuel pump? Amazingly, after 5mins of warm-up I have never had this problem.
Fuel pumps can soft fail to generate these symptoms without throwing a code. Fuel pressure gauge will be able to tell you. About 50 psi when the pump primes and when running.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:29 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
How many miles on the car?. Have you ever replaced your vanos seals?.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 AM

Thank you for your kind response.
My Bimmer is 318i (1999) with outdated 1.9L M43 engine which I believe does not have VANOS.
The current mileage is 160,000 (about 100,000 miles) and the fuel pump has never been replaced though the fuel filter was replaced not long ago.
I have just bought a fuel pump and will replace this weekend. I will give you update.
By the way, I cannot see the fuel pressure gauge in my instrument cluster.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your kind response.
My Bimmer is 318i (1999) with outdated 1.9L M43 engine which I believe does not have VANOS.
The current mileage is 160,000 (about 100,000 miles) and the fuel pump has never been replaced though the fuel filter was replaced not long ago.
I have just bought a fuel pump and will replace this weekend. I will give you update.
By the way, I cannot see the fuel pressure gauge in my instrument cluster.
There is no fuel pressure gauge on the car, just like there's no tire pressure gauge on the car. You have to attach it to the injector rail on the engine. It looks like a tire valve - Shrader valve. Parts stores may loan the gauge or a mechanic should have one.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Vacuum leak? When was the last time the valve cover gasket was replaced? have you been "missing" any oil?

03' 325i ZSP ZPP
Old 01-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Timing cover and valve cover gaskets need to be replaced as they are leaking as well as oil sump gasket.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:47 AM

Oki-Doki. I have now replaced the fuel pump and also used Liqi-Moly Fuel Injection Cleaner just in case of any clogged injectors.
However, the problem is still there even though I replaced crank position and cam position sensors as well.
On top of that, my bimmer has a new transmission filter and synthetic oil.
If I let the car idle for 3-5 minutes, I don't see any hesitation.
If I start the car and drive right away, then it won't speed up for half a mile and kicks in.
I really wish I could pin-point the problem
Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
fix known issues ie vacuum leaks through gaskets. VCG isnt hard or expensive start there. the gasket is hard and cold and doesnt seal = leaks and rough idle studdering, once the engine bay warms up gasket may expand and mold into place sealing leak and hiding the issue.

03' 325i ZSP ZPP
Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Oki-Doki. I have now replaced the fuel pump and also used Liqi-Moly Fuel Injection Cleaner just in case of any clogged injectors.
However, the problem is still there even though I replaced crank position and cam position sensors as well.
On top of that, my bimmer has a new transmission filter and synthetic oil.
If I let the car idle for 3-5 minutes, I don't see any hesitation.
If I start the car and drive right away, then it won't speed up for half a mile and kicks in.
I really wish I could pin-point the problem
No error codes makes this difficult. Can you try to read codes multiple times - right at startup and then several times as you drive this first half mile or so? Could be it sets a code but then clears after a bit of driving. That can happen if it's not a persistent problem.

Last edited by ahull; 01-30-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toona79 View Post
fix known issues ie vacuum leaks through gaskets. VCG isnt hard or expensive start there. the gasket is hard and cold and doesnt seal = leaks and rough idle studdering, once the engine bay warms up gasket may expand and mold into place sealing leak and hiding the issue.
Exactly. Cold tends to make vac leaks worse and they may clear once the car warms.

Also, if it's an automatic, I wonder if fluid viscosity is dragging in the transmission, causing the computer to limit engine torque until it's warm. I have a stick.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
I'm having bit similar issues with my M43 as well. Poured in bottle of fuel injector cleaner and if that doesn't help then i will see into some vacuum leaks. It has been very cold lately so it probably made things worst, but after warming up car works fine.

I never actually replaced any hoses in engine bay and had this car almost two years already, so might be time to put some new.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:50 AM

It has been a long journey to rectify this hesistation issue.
I went through a major overhaul in June such as renewing
1. sump gasket
2. VCG as well as the bolt seals, Upper Timing Case Gasket
3. Water Pump
4. Tensioner Pulley, Idler & A/c Pulley
5. Oil Filter Housing Gasket
6. All the heater and coolant hoses with outlet or inlet pipes
7. New Oil & filter
8. AT oil again

However, hesistaion in the morning or after sitting more than 4 hours still existed.
In August, I decided to go ahead with a new DISA (U$260) but sadly the problem does not go away.
I have spent over $3000 for the last three years which is only for new parts because I did everything by myself.
I am now so frustrated.

I have sprayed brake cleaner to see any vaccum leak but no fluctuation in idle.
One last time I will take on
1. Checking vaccum leak around the intake manifold (I have only checked the intake boot)
2. Swap the MAF sensor

I now have a code P0170, Fuel Trim Bank, which lead me either MAF or vaccum leak.
I have gone through youtube to find out how to test MAF and to find vaccum leak.
For the vaccum leak,
1. Brake Cleaner or Carb Cleaner
2. Soapy water
3. Cigar Smoke
For the MAF,
After engine starts, unplug the MAF

What method would you recommend?
Thanks