Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 AM
BMW bike whore

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
First REAL hiccup, no washer fluid spraying!

Ok, so we got hit with some heavy snow and super cold temps yeterday in the northeast. I live in NYC and anything greater than 4 or 5 inches of snow is a real nightmare. To top it off, yesterdays LOW was 6 degrees! When I drove home, it was "warmer" at 16 degrees! So my windshield is all messed up and I pulled back on the stalk to get my windshield juice and all I get are my wipers going back and forth, no juice! I get home and check the windshield washer fluid bottle and start adding some fluid and all I can get in is about a cup or two of fluid! It seems the fluid was frozen in the reservoir and in the lines! I have been driving cars since I was 16 years old and I have NEVER seen windshield fluid freeze here in NYC. I have never had the lines freeze up on me either. After letting the car idle for a few moments and turning up the heat I got the fluid to flow better and added the rest of the bottle to the car. But I still have no fluid on the windows. I don't hear a pump making noise either. So, my question, has this happened to any of you yet or ever?
Do you think the washer fluid pump is toast already on a 2013 X1 with less than 6k on it? Not the end of the world, but bummed out about this hiccup.

Last edited by luvmybeemerbike; 01-04-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
The nozzles are probably frozen.
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xdrive28i 2012
I suggest that you get back to your dealer ASAP because frozen windshield fluid may have damaged the plastic lines....

As for the nozzles, they are heated automatically while the engine is running.

At least have it checked, this is still under warranty!

Last edited by x1-2012; 01-04-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:59 AM
BMW bike whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1-2012 View Post
I suggest that you get back to your dealer ASAP because frozen windshield fluid may have damaged the plastic lines....
At least have it checked, this is still under warranty!
I made a couple of calls yesterday thinking it might be the pump (I don't hear it making any noise period) I have an appt for Wednesday. Again, I'm 48 years old and driving since 16, I have never seen this happen before in any of my cars or even my fathers cars when I was learning to drive. I would love to just drive into a warm service dept and the lines thaw out and drive right out, but frozen windshield washer fluid? We have used the Walmart and other blue fluids from reputable auto parts places, never an issue.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 128i
This happened in my 128i a few weeks ago during a trip to Vermont and below 0 temps. It didn't spray for me for a couple of days. They started working again after that trip. My first experience with this as well.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 AM
BMW bike whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commad View Post
This happened in my 128i a few weeks ago during a trip to Vermont and below 0 temps. It didn't spray for me for a couple of days. They started working again after that trip. My first experience with this as well.
Thanks commad, I'm hoping its like what happened to you. My appt is for this Wednesday, hopefully by then they would have thawed out. I forgot to mention with windchills and what not yesterday we had to be below 0 as well.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 AM
BMW bike whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrz View Post
The nozzles are probably frozen.
Hoping this is all it is.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i 2013
@luvmybeemerbike
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago when we had our first snow storm in NJ. I have a 2013 X1 28i. Driving through heavy snow fall and tried to use the windshield washer. Nothing happened. The temperature was about 28F. I was really surprised since this was a new car and I could not believe that the car was not prepared for this modest type of temperature.I thought that the nozzles were frozen, but that was not the case. If you open the hood, you can see wires going to the nozzle as well. My guess is that it might be heated.
I could not find anything helpful on the internet and decided to siphon of the washer fluid. That was not a fun job considering the temperature and took a while. I drained about a gallon and replaced it with a a gallon washer fluid that was rated for -20F.
My car is always parked outside. That did not help the cause and I had to ask a friend to park my car in her garage over night. Next day everything was working again. The temperature dropped to -2F since then I have no problems with it anymore.
I guess you can't trust if you buy a new car that there is the correct fluid in the washer.
I hope it will work out for you.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35
This year I've been noticing that the washer fluids for sale in my area are crap. I saw one typical blue container at a local gas station rated for 30 degrees. The best I've found so far is rated to 0. This is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff rated to -20 is actually not. I've had that as well. So, this may be more related to the fluid than the vehicle.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 AM

@zznalg I got mine at Pepboys. The fluid had an orange color and was rated -20F. Getting rid of the old fluid did the trick for me.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: TSX
First, let me say that wrong washer fluid is bad screwed up on BMW's part and I would be pissed off if it happened to me. That said, if it did happen, a temporary fix I would try if possible, is to let the car idle for an hour or so in the hopes that engine heat build up under the hood would defrosted the lines.

Nick

Last edited by Nick250; 01-04-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 AM

Nick, I tried that. Drove 100 miles and let the car idle. Did not help. I was surprised that it did not work. Rear and and front were not working. After it was parked in a garage which was about 50F over night, it worked. I made sure that I used it long enough after that to flush out the remaining fluid from the lines that I was not able to siphon off. By the way I was pissed off. ;-)
Old 01-04-2014, 12:15 PM
BMW bike whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmiBmw View Post
Nick, I tried that. Drove 100 miles and let the car idle. Did not help. I was surprised that it did not work. Rear and and front were not working. After it was parked in a garage which was about 50F over night, it worked. I made sure that I used it long enough after that to flush out the remaining fluid from the lines that I was not able to siphon off. By the way I was pissed off. ;-)
I definitely was annoyed yesterday when trying to use the washers because I was having a hard time seeing out the crusty glass. We haven't added fluid until yesterday and it was the orange kind de icer. I tried it after filling but of course no luck, made me say the lines had frozen fluid in them. I also park in my driveway during the day and at night, it's about 24 degrees right now I don't think that's enough to melt things.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:56 AM
BMW bike whore

Just looked thru the owners manual and in the washer section page 51, it warns NOT to use the washer in below freezing temps. Wtf?? I can't believe something like that is in there! Of course no place in the manual is there a listing of what fuses are in the car and what values to replace a fuse with. This is truly amazing to me that a car company like BMW would omit such things in the owners manual. So does anyone know if there is a fuse behind the glove box (another disappointment)!if there is a fuse that controls the washer system? It's value? It's warmer today but still no fluid on the glass when I pull the stalk.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Up here in Vermont and we've had some temps to 15 below. Washer was just dribbling initially on a trip yesterday down to Rutland, but after the car warmed up everything was fine. That the manual says not to use in freezing temps is insane.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 AM
BMW bike whore

Well good news, the lines unfroze and I'm now getting fluid to the windows and head lights! Very disappointed because I have never experienced this before and worse yet the manual says such a silly comment. I refilled with the orange stuff rated for -30, let's see what happens tonight and the next few days! Btw there is a fuse specifically for the washer pump behind the glove box, it was fine.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybeemerbike View Post
Well good news, the lines unfroze and I'm now getting fluid to the windows and head lights! Very disappointed because I have never experienced this before and worse yet the manual says such a silly comment. I refilled with the orange stuff rated for -30, let's see what happens tonight and the next few days! Btw there is a fuse specifically for the washer pump behind the glove box, it was fine.
What was the trick to getting working? Of was it perhaps just divine intervention?

Nick
Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM
BMW bike whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick250 View Post
What was the trick to getting working? Of was it perhaps just divine intervention?

Nick
Nick
I think it was just a matter of the temps warming up and me getting rid of the old fluid in the lines and reservoir. I used the -30 orange de icer in the reservoir this time. Lets see and hope if things stay this way, they are expecting some real cold nights the next few nights here in NYC.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 28I X-line
BTW.. If you have the package that has the pop up headlight washer feature, you can disable it. Had my dealer disconnect just that pump (separate pump) as per what the deal told me. I had originally asked them to pull the fuse but they said it was the same fuse for the complete washer system so they did what I mentioned instead and it worked
Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Re: First REAL hiccup, no washer fluid spraying!

So far, no problem here in Florida.its 60 degrees.keeping my fingers crossed!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using BimmerApp mobile app
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
BMW bike whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
BTW.. If you have the package that has the pop up headlight washer feature, you can disable it. Had my dealer disconnect just that pump (separate pump) as per what the deal told me. I had originally asked them to pull the fuse but they said it was the same fuse for the complete washer system so they did what I mentioned instead and it worked
dons:
Why disable the headlight washers? I think it's pretty cool to get a squirt here and there.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
We are -16 I did not even try the washers yet. They froze up on Friday morning but worked at lunch time. It's so cold I don't think I need to use for wet roads, there aren't any. But the headlights are covered with ice, need to get that off without scratching the headlights. May pay a visit to dealer. This didn't happen last winter, but we had a mild season. Still, dangerous situation if you get road junk all over and can't clean the windows

2014 X3 28i
2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 01-06-2014, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 28I X-line
It made me cringe every time the over spray of the windshield fluid landed on the painted hood
Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 AM
BMW bike whore

First REAL hiccup, no washer fluid spraying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
It made me cringe every time the over spray of the windshield fluid landed on the painted hood
Ok I can understand that, but you would think the paintwork would be able to tolerate some windshield washer fluid over spray?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMWX1 Xdrive 28i
Unhappy Arrgghh just when you need washer fluid yes...but no

I love my beemer no doubt. I was a long standing Volvo owner..then I "defected) from Sweden to Germany. But at least the Volvos never gave me fits about washer fluid. I took it to the dealership and they told me it's the fluid itself then capped off the reservoir with the orange stuff but didn't remove the blue stuff. It was minus 4 last night, wind chill of -15. Today's high..20. I parked the car in the sun but am glad I brought 2 bottles of water with me so I can throw some water on the glass. should I just dump all the washer fluid (blue stuff the dealership put in back in May 13) and fill it with the orange stuff??