Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 BMW1600
Timing a '67 1600-2

Hi all,
New to forum and tried searching for good info but just couldn't find anything. Just got my not running 1600-2 and after a day or two got it at least starting. Car sat for 18 years so fuel pump not working, timing off, etc.

I would like to know if my distributor is positioned in the correct position. The mushroom cap (vacuum head??) is hitting the firewall when distributor set at TDC. I cannot advance it further. Is this 180 degrees out? I read that this should be over rear of valve cover.

Timed like it is, with vacuum hose attached, RPM's about 2000, reads about 30 degrees BTDC. If I remove the vacuum the car dies immediately.

My Haynes manual is coming in a few days which should help tremendously.

My car does not have the view port for timing on the bell housing. My vin is 1527753 which puts it early '67 I think. When did the view port appear?

Thanks all!

Paul
Ads by Google
Old 01-04-2014, 06:33 PM

A little wrong info...

I just realized that with the car running at about 2000 RPM's the timing mark, with the timing light set at 30 degrees, is clockwise of the TDC mark. The other side of the 3 degree little marking. So it's not 30 BTDC but 30 ATDC. So, I need to retard the timing by turning the distributor counter clockwise but when I do I feel like the engine is trying to go backwards. I am afraid to try and start it like this... am I reading this all wrong? Thanks for your patience!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Have you discovered or posed your questions here? http://www.bmw2002faq.com/forum/20-n...al-discussion/
Old 01-05-2014, 07:16 PM

Uh, no. Should I have?

These forums are a bit difficult to navigate and know where to post what. I assume I would post a classic BMW question here... Please comment further as to why I should post elsewhere. Thanks! Obviously the best place to post my issues is where I want to post !
Old 01-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by prezucha View Post
Please comment further as to why I should post elsewhere.
I figured you would want your post seen by the most owners with the most experience. Take a look at the forum I mentioned earlier for the number of posts/day vs. here.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Thanks John!

Will do! I already got a response! Thanks for the tip! Paul