Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Imola Monster

Mein Auto: '06 Imola Red Z4M
Well chaps - thanks for all your help - the diagrams etc came in helpful - the outcome was that although we won the auction, we do not have the hardtop ... allow me to explain ...

The chap advertised it as having a complete fitting kit from BMW - following the advice of some above, I was wary of this, armed with the PDF of the fitting instructions and the parts list - I asked the seller to confirm that he had all parts of the fitting kit - he had already stated it was removed from another car - he was being evasive - eventually on Friday I called him and he admitted that the electrical parts were not there - I therefore disputed his claim of a "complete fitting kit" - he disagreed and said that the heated window did not matter - - uh, it did matter to us.

Long and short of it - he would not discount so that we could get our own complete fitting kit, nor would he supply a complete kit - we agreed amicably to leave the deal there and positive feedback all round.

So although the deal did not work out as we wanted; thanks to you guys, we did not end up with a duff partially complete unit

So where from here ... for the money we would have spent on eBay and a fitting kit - we can get a complete new hardtop from Weismann - this is probably the route we'll take - and hopefully get one each, one Velvet Blue, one Imola Red

Alls well that ends well
Old 10-17-2004, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM
thanks to you guys, we did not end up with a duff partially complete unit
You're welcome.

Glad you didn't waste a bunch of time and money driving 400 miles round trip to purchase a partial installation kit. Good job!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor

Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster, 1998 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM
So where from here ... for the money we would have spent on eBay and a fitting kit - we can get a complete new hardtop from Weismann - this is probably the route we'll take - and hopefully get one each, one Velvet Blue, one Imola Red
Although UK pricing is certainly different than the US, this is not an unusual outcome. A good negotiated deal on a new top with a cooperative dealer often beats eBay plus shipping plus the on-car install kit. If you add repainting, it frequently is cheaper to buy new. But there are occassional eBay bargains.

Now for the new question.... Ever think of a top of a different color? I thought about a sterling gray top for my TiSilver, but decided on the boring conventional matching top.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW Z3
I know this is along time after the original post, but i was wondering how do you get the foam out?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M Roadster S54 - E39 3.0
Force, wiggling and persistence. It helps if it's not freezing cold either.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jortiz96 View Post
I know this is along time after the original post, but i was wondering how do you get the foam out?
It was a real "bugger" getting the foam out of my car. I managed to save the driver's side but the passenger side ended up in two pieces. It was a tug of war to get them out without any damage to the foam. The glue really does not like letting the foam go. I think it was worth sacrificing the foam pieces
Old 12-21-2012, 07:01 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
The first Z3 I looked at had an electric soft top with hard top on a dolly. It was at a used car dealer. The car already had a wet seat and a wet floor, so I assumed the soft top was the problem and a hard top should have been left on.

But after researching, I became afraid of the electric soft top motors, and the hard tops with their hoists, and was glad to find a manual soft top Z3.