Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
my 2011 heater-- works quick --great in 10 degrees,, very happy. The seat gets hot quicker than any veh i've owned.

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods
Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 AM
xDriver

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
You are getting a low tire warning for a reason. There is a drop of roughly one psi with each 10 degree drop of temperature, plus typically about a psi loss of pressure each month.

For example, 32 psi on October 1 at 60 degrees is low 20's now at zero degrees. Put air in the tires, guys.
The tire gauge disagrees. All four tires were yellow on the vehicle info, all four tires were spot on by manual gauge.

The x-drive is fantastic in the winter - handles the snow at least as well as my wife's small SUV. But the fact that the electronics can't seem to handle the cold is somewhat distressing. I never had any of these issues in sub-zero temps in my Audi, yet now I've got the TPMS that can't read pressure, the battery that can't keep itself charged, and for some reason I can't put the car in sport mode...apparently spirited driving is verboten in the cold (even though it would be nice to get some higher revs with the "weak" battery).

Hopefully this isn't a pattern for the whole winter, but if it is, at least I'm glad this is a lease...

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
The electrical load on these cars while parked is ridiculous and has been a BMW weak point for a number of years. A week of short trips only, cold weather, etc. and the battery will be down a bit. I suspect the warning comes on earlier with the newer cars to make certain owners keep an eye on the battery state of charge.
Yes, these cars suck a lot of current even when parked. This said, I remember that with comfort access there were problems with car never going to complete shutdown. There was a procedure for E9x cars (something with pushing Start/Stop button twice) but I don't have comfort access so I can't remember the exact story. I know for sure that if I don't close the car with the keyfob, it will shut itself down after 15-20 minutes and you can hear it priming the fuel pump if you are close to the car.

I would check your manuals and see what the procedure for complete shutdown is and use that at least when temps are so brutal as they are now.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post
The tire gauge disagrees. All four tires were yellow on the vehicle info, all four tires were spot on by manual gauge.

The x-drive is fantastic in the winter - handles the snow at least as well as my wife's small SUV. But the fact that the electronics can't seem to handle the cold is somewhat distressing. I never had any of these issues in sub-zero temps in my Audi, yet now I've got the TPMS that can't read pressure, the battery that can't keep itself charged, and for some reason I can't put the car in sport mode...apparently spirited driving is verboten in the cold (even though it would be nice to get some higher revs with the "weak" battery).

Hopefully this isn't a pattern for the whole winter, but if it is, at least I'm glad this is a lease...

Big Brother watching out for you
Old 01-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Current pressures are only half of the equation. What was the temperature and pressure in the tires the last time the TPMS was reset? If they were over-inflated then, they are "under-inflated" now, as far as TPMS knows. The alert pressure is relative--a percentage of the set-point pressure--not absolute.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: Black 2013 BMW 335xi
i know it appears to be the custom here that BMW enthusiasts periodically threaten to leave the brand, but I am genuinely angry about this experience. This morning I am now receiving the dreaded alert that all 4 tires are low on air. I presume this is why the car now refuses to be put in Sport mode. To top it off, the battery low signal also came on. I am a lawyer with long distances to drive to get the court, and I can't afford this sort of nonsense at subzero temperatures. It would appear - ironically - that I paid twice more for this car for twice less the reliability. I have no brand loyalty to BMW; this is my first. If luxury does not encompass reliability, then it isn't worth it. I will go for a Lexus next, more than likely, depending on how this issue resolves itself.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barredbard View Post
This morning I am now receiving the dreaded alert that all 4 tires are low on air. I presume this is why the car now refuses to be put in Sport mode.
Does this issue occur with F30 cars equipped with the indirect 'FTM' tire pressure monitoring system, as opposed to the direct, wheel sensor based 'TPI' system?

Calling any Canadian Bimmerfest members for feedback...
Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Does this issue occur with F30 cars equipped with the indirect 'FTM' tire pressure monitoring system, as opposed to the direct, wheel sensor based 'TPI' system?

Calling any Canadian Bimmerfest members for feedback...
I am really not sure what mine came equipped with. I drive a 2013 335 xdrive, purchased from a dealership. Whatever it is, I presume, is standard.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
I am really not sure what mine came equipped with. I drive a 2013 335 xdrive, purchased from a dealership. Whatever it is, I presume, is standard.
Gotcha Barredbard; my understanding is that all U.S. specification F30 cars for MY 2013 use the direct TPI system. Canadian spec cars, on the other hand, use the indirect FTM system (AFAIK).
Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
This battery issue is exactly why the F30 is not a luxury vehicle or a true sport sedan.

Kidding.

Seriously, kind of annoying though. Never had this issue in my Audi...
In Phoenix the heat is brutal on batteries. In my one foray into MB, I was very impressed that when the battery died and we called MB roadside assistance, our dealer sent out a guy with a brand new battery. Changed it on the spot and good to go. With the BMW's they just tow us in and change it out in the shop.

The tow will be an interesting experience if we're in the garage when the car dies and you can't get the transmission into neutral.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
i know it appears to be the custom here that BMW enthusiasts periodically threaten to leave the brand, but I am genuinely angry about this experience. This morning I am now receiving the dreaded alert that all 4 tires are low on air. I presume this is why the car now refuses to be put in Sport mode. To top it off, the battery low signal also came on. I am a lawyer with long distances to drive to get the court, and I can't afford this sort of nonsense at subzero temperatures. It would appear - ironically - that I paid twice more for this car for twice less the reliability. I have no brand loyalty to BMW; this is my first. If luxury does not encompass reliability, then it isn't worth it. I will go for a Lexus next, more than likely, depending on how this issue resolves itself.

The warning is a feature to let you know your tires are low and to slow down. All you have to do is a push a button in iDrive to clear the tire warning. Your tires will still be low though.

Last edited by chiefneil; 01-07-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 AM
xDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Current pressures are only half of the equation. What was the temperature and pressure in the tires the last time the TPMS was reset? If they were over-inflated then, they are "under-inflated" now, as far as TPMS knows. The alert pressure is relative--a percentage of the set-point pressure--not absolute.
Well, I remember back in driver's ed, checking tire pressures was part of the "pre-driving checklist" but I can't say I do that on a daily basis.

However, thus far, every time the temperature has changed, the TPMS goes yellow x 4 tires, and every time, each tire has been spot on by a manual gauge. This is both in the heat in the summer, the first "big" drop in temps in the fall, and now this "polar vortex" thing.

Seems more like this car just has too many electronic gadgets that are too sensitive and fragile.

I'm certainly not about jump ship to a lexus like the post above, but Audi is definitely back on the table when this lease is up. I might be willing to deal with their less-than-stellar dealer experience to go back to better vehicle experience. I only have to deal with the dealer once or twice a year, but I'm in the car every day...might be a fair trade...

Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd
So has anyone seen the battery light go off with their driving?

mine is still on. SIGH!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Low tire warning this morning at 6F. Reset and drove. Worked fine. Let's see if something else comes up when I leave for home in an hour or so

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
In Phoenix the heat is brutal on batteries. In my one foray into MB, I was very impressed that when the battery died and we called MB roadside assistance, our dealer sent out a guy with a brand new battery. Changed it on the spot and good to go. With the BMW's they just tow us in and change it out in the shop.

The tow will be an interesting experience if we're in the garage when the car dies and you can't get the transmission into neutral.

Good observation about the battery dying and not being able to get it into neutral normally. Have to look in the manual and see if there is an emergency manual override. The tow guy can always drag it or hook up a jumper battery to get power to the car or start it that way. But not having a manual override would be a pretty major oversight on their part.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 PM
xDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFM View Post
So has anyone seen the battery light go off with their driving?

mine is still on. SIGH!
Mine only goes on when I turn off the car. Never comes back on when I restart. So far, the last three times I've been out, it's come on each time I kill the engine.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd
Quote:
Mine only goes on when I turn off the car. Never comes back on when I restart. So far, the last three times I've been out, it's come on each time I kill the engine.
Pretty much the same here although I keep seeing the warning flag in the instrument display and pulling up an iDrive vehicle status tells me that the battery needs charging.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
The warning is a feature to let you know your tires are low and to slow down. All you have to do is a push a button in iDrive to clear the tire warning. Your tires will still be low though.
Would doing that also reenable my Sport mode function? And how is it that my battery is still low when I have driven for almost 2 hours today?

Last edited by Barredbard; 01-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 435 MSport/MPPK/M Exhaust
Just out of curiousity.. how may are using ASS on those low temp bitterly cold days? Starter Crank amps can be up to 300, which for a 120Ah battery is significant, especially if the runs are short, and there is little time to recover. Add to that the fact that the available battery capacity is much lower at -30F than at 60F, and you can deplete it with extra load, especially if you are in slow moving traffic with all the goodies and heaters running flat out..

Not to let BMW off the hook, they still should have a big enough alternator to look after it all.. but cold, cold temps and batteries don't mix well.. although the AGM batteries will recover from freezing better than the old Lead Acid types, but only if they warm up enough to look normal. And, because they are more efficient with less internal resistive drop, they produce less internal heat to warm them up on a very cold day sitting in the trunk..

Last edited by Lost Horizon; 01-07-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
I'd keep playing!

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi 2002 Z3 3.0
You guys do know that major temperature changes does change the psi in your tires, don't you? This happened in the Infiniti I just traded in too. If you measure the psi when the car has been driven and the tires heat up, the pressure will change (drop) once it cools down.

In areas where the temperature fluctuates a bunch (like this year in NJ) you will need to add some air in the winter and you may need to drop some in the summer. It can vary by 5-7 psi which might be enough to turn on the indicator.

My indicator has not come on, but I bought the car in December.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Does the Cold Weather Package get you a beefed up battery?

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Would doing that also reenable my Sport mode function? And how is it that my battery is still low when I have driven for almost 2 hours today?
Yes it will reenable the sport mode function. But as you're a lawyer I feel like I should point out again that your tires will still be low; you're basically choosing to ignore the warning and telling the car to ignore the warning as well.

I have no idea on the battery other than the fact that cold weather reduces the effectiveness of batteries. It's just physics and chemistry. It's possible BMW has the warning threshold set too low. Or maybe you have a bad battery or alternator, who knows? Google battery blanket and you'll see that lots of people in cold weather climates take special care with their batteries regardless of whether or not the battery is installed in a BMW or Lexus.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
i became a victim...before i get a charger and plug it in
il get another car and it wont be bmw

most cars today are loaded up with electronics,is this an industry wide problem or a bmw problem.
bmw attempts to shift responsibilty by informing drivers they dont drive often or long enough.

it seems like a weak link. it should be bumper to bumper 4 years ,no questions asked.
yet i continually hear stories of the battery not being covered under warranty. shifting responsibilty to driver,charging driver for a new battery and programming,and good will replacements ,suggesting they are doing us a favor.
they seem to forget we did them a favor buying their car.

they clearly have a problem. thats acceptable, it sometimes happens.
whats not accpetable is how they deal with it. policy varies from dealer to dealer,and from dealer to customer.
anything less then 4 year full coverage should not be tolerated or accepted.

im going in thursday morning for service,and im not happy.
if they dont tell me what i want to hear i will be even more unhappy,and then someone is gonna get a headache, and some letters will be written.
i resent dropping big money only have to have my car taken off the road for of all things a battery or a tire.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 435 MSport/MPPK/M Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3RIFFRAFF View Post
You guys do know that major temperature changes does change the psi in your tires, don't you? This happened in the Infiniti I just traded in too. If you measure the psi when the car has been driven and the tires heat up, the pressure will change (drop) once it cools down.

In areas where the temperature fluctuates a bunch (like this year in NJ) you will need to add some air in the winter and you may need to drop some in the summer. It can vary by 5-7 psi which might be enough to turn on the indicator.

My indicator has not come on, but I bought the car in December.
This: Tire pressure drops about 1 psi for every 10 degrees F drop in ambient temperature. Additionally, tires lose as much as 1.5 psi per month as air escapes the tire and rim naturally.

So if you haven't checked your tires since August @ 75F and today its -25F, you will be down 5 months * -1.5psi + (-1psi)*(75F-(-25F))/10 = 1.5 + 10 = -11.5 +/- psi.. which will definitely be out of spec for the runflat that still 'looks' OK.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 PM
xDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal joey View Post
i became a victim...before i get a charger and plug it in
il get another car and it wont be bmw

most cars today are loaded up with electronics,is this an industry wide problem or a bmw problem.
bmw attempts to shift responsibilty by informing drivers they dont drive often or long enough.

it seems like a weak link. it should be bumper to bumper 4 years ,no questions asked.
yet i continually hear stories of the battery not being covered under warranty. shifting responsibilty to driver,charging driver for a new battery and programming,and good will replacements ,suggesting they are doing us a favor.
they seem to forget we did them a favor buying their car.

they clearly have a problem. thats acceptable, it sometimes happens.
whats not accpetable is how they deal with it. policy varies from dealer to dealer,and from dealer to customer.
anything less then 4 year full coverage should not be tolerated or accepted.

im going in thursday morning for service,and im not happy.
if they dont tell me what i want to hear i will be even more unhappy,and then someone is gonna get a headache, and some letters will be written.
i resent dropping big money only have to have my car taken off the road for of all things a battery or a tire.
For me, it's not a huge deal. I have no real BMW loyalty...I've only had the car for 6 months, and it's a lease. As I've said before, the lease is like a 3-year test drive. If it fails to perform to my standards, I'll go back to Audi. As long as it keeps starting, I guess I don't really care about all the stupid "warnings" that turn out meaningless. I'm a sixth of the way through the lease, it's not super expensive, and I can walk away when it's over. No harm, no foul. As far as I'm concerned, with a lease, they own the car...anything they don't want to pay to fix won't get fixed...