Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Put in my order for an i8 today

Called my dealer today. I work directly with the owner (he gives a salesperson a commission from the sale). He told me he had orders for his entire supply of i8's for this year and for calendar year 2015. He put me first on the list for 2016. That's just about when I will be ready to give up my 2011 550i xDrive. Perfect timing.

I usually keep my cars for 5-6 years because I always buy and never lease. Should give BMW about a year to work out some of the bugs in a new model and an entirely new technology. I'll also have a chance to test drive one. No discount however. Strictly MSRP. But I'm happy he won't be charging me anything more than list.

Now I just have to think about color and whatever cool new options might be available. For me the must haves are active cruise and surround cameras. I doubt that those will not be available or even standard equipment. In car Wi-Fi would be cool.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Ads by Google
Old 01-06-2014, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X6M
Congrats!!!

There will not be any options on the i8 - it will be fully optioned as standard. You will choose the color and interior; this may change for 2016.

I think given the rarity of this car MSRP is a deal

Yes in-car WiFi would be pretty trick!

You have an even longer wait than I do, buddy - it's going to be a tough couple of years.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: SLS, E39 M5, E30 M3
To the OP, I think we're in for a treat with this car. Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
You have an even longer wait than I do, buddy - it's going to be a tough couple of years.
It could be worse, the entire country of India is getting 8.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
Wow i am so happy for you, post a pic when you get it! Congrads!
Dear God, protect my ride."
Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
where can i order mine?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
Ask your dealership?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Dear God, protect my ride."
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 320i
Congrats. Curious -- did they require anything from you in the manner of commitment? Deposit, paperwork, etc?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattograph View Post
Congrats. Curious -- did they require anything from you in the manner of commitment? Deposit, paperwork, etc?
Don't know about the OP but mine required $1000 down (refundable) and agreed on MSRP. He had an agreement written up and signed by the general manager and myself.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattograph View Post
Mine told me that he wouldn't want a deposit until he was able to order my car. He said that would be approximately two months before estimated delivery. Since I am sixth on his list that wouldn't be for at least another year. But he said people on these list frequently cancel their order so it is likely to be sooner than he currently estimates.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Don't know about the OP but mine required $1000 down (refundable) and agreed on MSRP. He had an agreement written up and signed by the general manager and myself.
Mine was the same as Carac's: $1K deposit and MSRP.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
congrats
Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
I was thinking of putting one in for an i8 incase I hate the m4 after a few months and just having it on backup until z06/c63 but I'm dead worried these cars will be worthless like the active x6 hybrids.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I was thinking of putting one in for an i8 incase I hate the m4 after a few months and just having it on backup until z06/c63 but I'm dead worried these cars will be worthless like the active x6 hybrids.
X6 hybrids are worthless because you paid $20k more for 2-3mpg more than the regular V8 in the city and 1 less on the highway...and worse mpg than the 6-cylinder in both places...plus it's a non-M X6...a X5 with less room and worse visibility. There will be no comparison in value. In fact, with the lack of supply I would expect the i8 to appreciate in the short term with people paying over sticker for second-hand examples. But I'm keeping mine, so resale isn't really a factor.

Last edited by Carac; 03-20-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
X6 hybrids are worthless because you paid $20k more for 2-3mpg more than the regular V8 in the city and 1 less on the highway...and worse mpg than the 6-cylinder in both places...plus it's a non-M X6...a X5 with less room and worse visibility. There will be no comparison in value. In fact, with the lack of supply I would expect the i8 to appreciate in the short term with people paying over sticker for second-hand examples. But I'm keeping mine, so resale isn't really a factor.
I mean I'm not concerned with resale to an extent but if it drops 40%+ I'd be pissed. All their hybrids in fact have insanely depreciated 2 year old 130k 7 series are like in the 50s.

Do we know who designed the car like did the engineering come out of the M division or is this some new i division that did it... M division is about the only one I trust anymore lol.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I mean I'm not concerned with resale to an extent but if it drops 40%+ I'd be pissed. All their hybrids in fact have insanely depreciated 2 year old 130k 7 series are like in the 50s.

Do we know who designed the car like did the engineering come out of the M division or is this some new i division that did it... M division is about the only one I trust anymore lol.
There has been palpable animosity between BMW i and M when their respective executives talk. Someone mentioned that money for projects like a new M1 and other projects was diverted with the establishment of the i brand. There have also been mentions that i absorbed engineers from all parts of the company.

Based on the hands-on drives I've read, I have no trepidation about the handing and performance of the i8. Everyone seems to be saying "they have a winner." It weighs around 3300lbs and has the lowest center of gravity of any BMW ever.

I would be SHOCKED if it loses more than 10% a year for the first 2-3 years and more likely, with the limited supply, you will see it going for over sticker during the first year or two. High end german sports cars that are not based on a production series car tend to hold up fairly well. I know my SLS only lost about 10% the first two years when prices started to level out and recently have been appreciating. There's a guy on MBworld that kept saying he "can't wait until they drop below $100k"...he'll be waiting a long time on a salvage title and maybe forever for a good low-mileage example. Time will tell but I think the market will be kind to the i8.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Vert

My dealer called today, and I have been playing phone tag. Can I order the convertible if they are only getting 1 or 2 in given the production / engineering concerns I've read bout?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherm View Post
My dealer called today, and I have been playing phone tag. Can I order the convertible if they are only getting 1 or 2 in given the production / engineering concerns I've read bout?
The most you could do at this point would be to get your name on a list at the dealer, maybe a refundable deposit. A convertible probably wouldn't hit until late 2015 at the earliest and with the way the coupe was pushed back/delayed you're probably looking at late 2016, realistically.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
I'm on their list with a deposit, that's why they called. But by time I got around to calling back the GSM I got his VM. He's called me a couple times and I have him, just bad timing yesterday.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X6M
There have been some articles where BMW stated the i8 Spyder is experiencing engineering challenges. Don't expect it out anytime soon.

Your deposit is for the i8, or the i8 Spyder?