Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper
Red face M5...550i.... or 650GC

Hey Guys:

This is my first thread here and pretty excited about my next choice. I have been looking at cars for a while now and I am close to pulling the trigger, I am going tomorrow to the dealer to try out these 3 cars and not really sure what I want yet. I have always been a fan of the M5.. although I have never owned a BMW I have driven them a lot and really do not understand why this will be my first one (32 years old).
Basically my question is which car should I go with. I really like the 650 the most when it comes to looks. I do however feel that if I don't go with the M5 I might regret it.

The other thing, I have always driven manual cars. I bought a Mercedes in automatic transmission and was miserable. I can order my M5 in manual and I feel that will be a game changer, but I would like to see if anybody has driven the 650. The 550 is my last option if the price would be amazing.

Thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335Hybrid;F10 M5
I have driven all of the above an own a 13 M5. You will be bored with the 550. The 650GC is a step above as I felt it was a bit more involving, but honestly none of these cars are super involving, including the M5. the manual is different, however, and I sometime regret not going that route. It is loads of fun. Good luck with your hunt!
2012 Jaguar FXR
2011 M3 (E93)
2011 750li x-drive (F02)2009
2009 Lexus IS-F
2007 M6 coupe
2007 MB E63
2004 Audi S4
2001 Audi S4
Old 01-07-2014, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 M5
Why not throw in the M6 Gran Coupe too, if you're looking at the 550 and 650 it makes sense.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Owned the 550i M Sport............ got bored very quickly.
Driven the 6 series GC............ not a fan huge car.
Own LCI M5 great car....... buy soon.......
Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 AM

M6 is much more expensive than the M5... I would definitely look into in a future purchase but not right now. I have not tried the M5 in DCT and will probably have to drive one today like that. There are not many manual transmission cars anymore, which I think is crazy, but I least I will see how heavy the M5 feels... I am thinking that is the only negative in that car.

I will let you guys know how it went today and see what we do... The only other option I thought of was a short lease of a loaded 335 and then jump to an M3!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM

I just wanted to leave a heads up.

Went out and drove a 650 and then went to the M5.... The M5 is a beast,... what a car, I was trying to not show my emotion as much when I was driving, it was amazing. The 650 is very comfortable and I love the look, but its nothing compared to the M5..

I liked a Black with the Sakhir Orange interior, amazing car.

I tried the DCT and honestly think that it drives awesome like that. I would have to order a Manual Transmission but I am not sure I would want to wait.. I really think that the DCT feels awesome in this car.

Any comments?? they are asking for 1430 plus tax for a sticker price of 109 K no down payment. Would I be able to negotiate it a bit? Should I buy? or lease?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:18 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
M5. There's no comparing non-M cars to M cars.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 01-07-2014, 04:23 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada81 View Post
I just wanted to leave a heads up.

Went out and drove a 650 and then went to the M5.... The M5 is a beast,... what a car, I was trying to not show my emotion as much when I was driving, it was amazing. The 650 is very comfortable and I love the look, but its nothing compared to the M5..

I liked a Black with the Sakhir Orange interior, amazing car.

I tried the DCT and honestly think that it drives awesome like that. I would have to order a Manual Transmission but I am not sure I would want to wait.. I really think that the DCT feels awesome in this car.

Any comments?? they are asking for 1430 plus tax for a sticker price of 109 K no down payment. Would I be able to negotiate it a bit? Should I buy? or lease?
You are in Miami. Town full of straight roads and 45 limits. Where are you gonna enjoy this beast? Shoot, they will lock your a$$ up if you go over a hundred. If you are going to take it out of Florida, hit some curves and hills ( and by "hills" I don't mean upward sloping ramps to a highway), then that is one thing. Otherwise, too much car means too many cops.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
You are in Miami. Town full of straight roads and 45 limits. Where are you gonna enjoy this beast? Shoot, they will lock your a$$ up if you go over a hundred. If you are going to take it out of Florida, hit some curves and hills ( and by "hills" I don't mean upward sloping ramps to a highway), then that is one thing. Otherwise, too much car means too many cops.
Very true, Not that fun to drive here. I do go to the track however once in a while. I have a good friend who drives in IndyCar series so I will take cars with him and try to learn how to drive better. I would probably try to take this car around but you are right not much to do but just know that you have that amount of power. Still its an amazing car and looking forward to maybe a ticket or two I guess. I also believe that if you want a fun car for curves or hills the M5 is not the best option, definitely an M3 or something like the new CLA 45 maybe?? this is definitely a heavy car... but was an awesome car it is!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:50 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Very true, Not that fun to drive here. I do go to the track however once in a while. I have a good friend who drives in IndyCar series so I will take cars with him and try to learn how to drive better. I would probably try to take this car around but you are right not much to do but just know that you have that amount of power. Still its an amazing car and looking forward to maybe a ticket or two I guess. I also believe that if you want a fun car for curves or hills the M5 is not the best option, definitely an M3 or something like the new CLA 45 maybe?? this is definitely a heavy car... but was an awesome car it is!
Take it on a track. But take it out of Florida and get some twisties and elevation changes. Nothing shows off an engine like taking it uphill.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
M3s are great canyon carvers but M5s do NOT drive as heavy as they are. Don't underestimate their fun factor!

Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Range Rover SC
Last time I checked I-95 in South Florida was like a race track...

Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Go for the M. M's are beasts
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC-M3 View Post
Go for the M. M's are beasts
+1

Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 PM

I think Im going with the M... tomorrow I will start negotiating a bit more and see what we can do. There is actually more than a dozen around south florida in stock so maybe I can manage to save some money.

The M5 was amazing. I can definitely say its a fun car, just saying that the new M3 should be amazing to carve some turns. I hope I can close this deal and enjoy the car.. I have 2 young kids. I love the fact I can pull off the good and responsible dad when I drop them off at school and then go enjoy some me time in this beast!

I will keep you guys posted!!! Thanks for the help
Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Slower Traffic Move Right

Mein Auto: 2009 750i (F01)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
M3s are great canyon carvers but M5s do NOT drive as heavy as they are. Don't underestimate their fun factor!
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but you MUST be talking about the E60.

The F10 definitely makes it's weight known. That said, it does a fantastic job of disguising it, and is still a phenomenal car.

1/4 Mile: 13.370 @ 102.44 mph on A/S RFTs
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B.V. View Post
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but you MUST be talking about the E60.

The F10 definitely makes it's weight known. That said, it does a fantastic job of disguising it, and is still a phenomenal car.
The F10 most certainly did not feel like a heavy car, unlike the S63 AMG.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Slower Traffic Move Right

Mein Auto: 2009 750i (F01)
Quote:
I'm assuming you're talking about the W221 (Pre-2014 S63).

In that case, I'm not suprised, as it doesn't really go up against the S63.

The S63 (4,916lbs) weighs almost 700lbs more than the F10 M5 (4,288lbs). That, and the S63 is considerably longer (over 1ft!) and less nimble.

Pit it against the E63, and you've got a proper comparison.

1/4 Mile: 13.370 @ 102.44 mph on A/S RFTs
Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/335
Quote:
I think Im going with the M... tomorrow I will start negotiating a bit more and see what we can do. There is actually more than a dozen around south florida in stock so maybe I can manage to save some money.

The M5 was amazing. I can definitely say its a fun car, just saying that the new M3 should be amazing to carve some turns. I hope I can close this deal and enjoy the car.. I have 2 young kids. I love the fact I can pull off the good and responsible dad when I drop them off at school and then go enjoy some me time in this beast!

I will keep you guys posted!!! Thanks for the help
If you want to get a good deal on an M5 buy from a fest sponsor. I recommend Adrian Avila in Atlanta, Greg Poland in California or John Weltzien in West Palm Beach. PM me if you want more info. BTW....your quoted price is darn high. I think you can do better.....much better. FYI....no cap reduction and fees plus 1st month payment due at signing you should be around 1300-1320 INCLUDING tax for 36/10 lease. Your quoted payment is ridiculous.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 01-08-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:

Yes it does feel heavy. How hard did you push it? Having driven the m3 and m5 back to back there is no mistaking that extra weight. OTOH the S63 is huge and compares to the Alpina B7 (I have driven the B7 and the S63) and I prefer the B7 over the S63. If we compare E63 AMG to M5 I prefer the M5. If we were talking plain 750li vs the S500 with sport package then the S class is the better car IMHO.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 01-08-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Yes it does feel heavy. How hard did you push it? Having driven the m3 and m5 back to back there is no mistaking that extra weight. OTOH the S63 is huge and compares to the Alpina B7 (I have driven the B7 and the S63) and I prefer the B7 over the S63. If we compare E63 AMG to M5 I prefer the M5. If we were talking plain 750li vs the S500 with sport package then the S class is the better car IMHO.

I didn't push it very hard to be honest. Cousins car and I was being very gently. Probably not even above 3-4/10ths. I'm sure the weight gets more noticeable above that. But for the average every day driver, I think it would be enough car.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ory View Post
I have driven all of the above an own a 13 M5. You will be bored with the 550. The 650GC is a step above as I felt it was a bit more involving, but honestly none of these cars are super involving, including the M5. the manual is different, however, and I sometime regret not going that route. It is loads of fun. Good luck with your hunt!
Exactly you couldn't have described it better... The m5 is monster but with no mods, and being a luxo cruiser its like oh... I'm going 155 and just beat the 650hp GT500 from a roll.

Its not a feeling I like and will be trying the m4 this summer its just not a car I could keep between zero mod options and that lack of any kind of sensation of speed.

The stock brakes are amazing though. I mean top notch I'm amazed daily and so is everyone whose been in the car that have custom BBK's and good quality brembos at the cars ability to stop.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Exactly you couldn't have described it better... The m5 is monster but with no mods, and being a luxo cruiser its like oh... I'm going 155 and just beat the 650hp GT500 from a roll.

Its not a feeling I like and will be trying the m4 this summer its just not a car I could keep between zero mod options and that lack of any kind of sensation of speed.

The stock brakes are amazing though. I mean top notch I'm amazed daily and so is everyone whose been in the car that have custom BBK's and good quality brembos at the cars ability to stop.
I would love to try the m3 and will most likely give it a shot. I do have 2 young kids and thats why for now I need the bigger beast!! It was an awesome car.. I hope I can close my deal soon!!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
I would love to try the m3 and will most likely give it a shot. I do have 2 young kids and thats why for now I need the bigger beast!! It was an awesome car.. I hope I can close my deal soon!!
I hear you. Terp and I both had m3's at the same time and then he went and got the m5. I personally love the m3 and want to get my full 3 years out of it before I give it back. I suspect by the time the m3 lease is up I might be ready for the more luxurious m5. Besides, I have the x5m for those times when the m3 is too small. If you have two kids I doubt the m3 will cut it.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I hear you. Terp and I both had m3's at the same time and then he went and got the m5. I personally love the m3 and want to get my full 3 years out of it before I give it back. I suspect by the time the m3 lease is up I might be ready for the more luxurious m5. Besides, I have the x5m for those times when the m3 is too small. If you have two kids I doubt the m3 will cut it.

I think you'll regret it... I wish I'd kept mine and I wouldn't be eating depriciation like crazy. It's a great car, and its fun being in a removed setting and still being able to whip a$$, but it was not a more fun car then the m3... I was still smiling after 14k miles with the m3, I just got impulsive. This car I was over it by 3,000 with limited mod options and nothing but speculation on the horizon.

Quote:
Its a great car... It really is.