Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
E36 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race car build

So, hi everyone, I'm Wil.

I started racing motorcycles several years ago, and while I wasn't particularly 'great' at it I managed to win some races and even an overall first-place regional class championship. In 2011 I got an Aprilia SXV 450, and shortly afterwards got turned on to Pikes Peak. I ended up racing in 2012, and had a heck of a hard time - but I finished! (If you'd like to read about that whole experience, the thread is available here: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...imb-experience Mods, if it's not allowed to post links to other forums I apologize, I looked over the rules and didn't see anything about it)

So, anyways, I learned a LOT my first year on the mountain...but the biggest thing I gained was the urge, or the NEED rather, to race a car up that sucker! While in the bar at the host hotel for the 2013 Hill Climb, I found a beat-up worn-out E36 M3 on Craigslist back in Houston, and immediately made arrangements for my friend that owns a wrecker to go pick it up. I don't remember how much exactly I paid for it, I believe the seller was asking $600 for it, so I gave Eric $600 and told him to haggle the guy down as low as he could and he could keep the difference - pretty sure he ended up getting it for $400. Either way, decent deal on a car that, while stripped, came with a (salvage) title.

(note: I haven't done a very good job of taking progress photos thus far, so some of these are pulled from my Instagram - I realize they're crappy low-res photos with cheesy effects on them. Good photos from here on out though, promise!)

We didn't waste any time stripping it and getting rid of all the 'extra' crap...

...and as luck would have it, the local European salvage yard took in an IDENTICAL M3 that same week, which we salvaged a door and fender from, as well as the engine/trans/rear end and every nut/bolt/fastener/bracket/etc that we were missing. It's only an S52, but it'll work for now!

This was in July of 2013, as the months have gone on and my budget has allowed, I've bought parts here and there. A few goodies:

Right now, the car is running and driving, and just waiting on a few more parts. We're receiving sponsorship backing from Sarto Racing, an aerodynamic manufacturer in Japan; as well as Ground Control suspension, and we hope to have the widebody fenders and suspension in by Valentine's Day. By then, we should also receive the weld-in cage (Kirk Racing cage from Bimmerworld) and the composite window kit from ACW Plastics in the UK should be here around the same time. Once we get the cage here, we'll be tearing the car back down to strip it, seam weld the chassis and install the cage, and install all the bodywork. While the engine's out at that time we'll be doing a full all-stock rebuild, as well as installing bigger injectors and a Porsche MAF.

We've got member access to two tracks here in Texas that we'll be doing testing at, and I've got hours and hours and hours of footage from the hillclimb; I religiously spend several hours a day reviewing course notes and footage, as well as driving the course in a PS3-powered 'simulator' that we've put together (which has been my first foray in to videogaming, I've never owned a console prior). My hopes are that my previous race experience on a motorcycle (which was TERRIFYING, by the way) along with my ability at what I do (I fix & build fancy/expensive cars for a living - see disclaimer below), that we'll be able to perform competitively at the race. I'm not going to have a huge, powerful motor or $15-20k in suspension, but it should be fun either way.

Since, after all, that's what it's all about - having fun!

I'll post more photos and updates as the build progresses! Thanks for reading

Disclaimer: I'm a professional, and I do this stuff for a living; I'm new here, but my intent is to share information, knowledge, and sweet pictures of BMW stuff here and there, as well as to chronicle my attempt to race my E36 up Pike's Peak. I am not here to promote myself or the facility which I work for, I am not here to acquire business, and I am not here to detract business from any of the forum sponsors. Under no circumstances should anyone PM me and ask tech questions, ask for pricing, etc - start a thread in an open forum and/or ask one of the site sponsors. I'm on this site for fun, not for business. Mods, if this isn't cool, let me know and I'll refrain from anything that isn't appropriate.
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2014, 04:32 PM

Just got back from the shipping terminal at the airport from picking up the widebody fender set from Sarto Racing in Japan. Sarto has graciously agreed to hook us up with some of their new bodywork, which has AMAZING fit and finish - I've done Lamborghini front end retrofits with crazy high dollar aftermarket bodywork that hasn't been this high quality.

The kit is for a non-M, so I'll have do to some minor trimming on the front bumper panel to make it line up - but nothing too terribly complicated. The kit is also for a coupe, so I'm losing rear door function (who cares), we'll most likely weld panels in over the rear door handles, and we'll have to modify the fronts a bit to clear the doors...but, for the most part, I has widebody!!

We also got one of the carbon fiber wings that we'll be testing, shown here on my '72 Benzo:

More updates to come soon! The window set is scheduled to arrive on Monday, and our cage should be here shortly afterwards - and as soon as that's here, we get to start seam welding!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Those solid guibos don't exactly have a good reputation. Any experience with them?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 PM

I don't have any experience with them, but I've yet to see someone with an 'actual' bad experience - just "I've heard those things are bad". I've run solid driveshafts/axles on pretty much every other make/model race vehicle in the past, the BMW and Mercedes are the only ones with rubber guibos - I'm going to do plenty of testing prior to the race and I'll report my real-world first-person account of the solid guibo.

Worth noting that we haven't installed that one yet, and the stock rubber unit is currently installed on the vehicle.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by idbracing View Post
I don't have any experience with them, but I've yet to see someone with an 'actual' bad experience - just "I've heard those things are bad". I've run solid driveshafts/axles on pretty much every other make/model race vehicle in the past, the BMW and Mercedes are the only ones with rubber guibos - I'm going to do plenty of testing prior to the race and I'll report my real-world first-person account of the solid guibo.

Worth noting that we haven't installed that one yet, and the stock rubber unit is currently installed on the vehicle.

Right on, yeah I don't have first hand experience either. Same as you I have just seen people say they can be problematic. Lets face it. BMW didn't always use rubber because it was the best at everything. Only because it is the best at insulating noise and absorbing vibration and shock.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 AM

Yep, my thoughts exactly. If it don't work, it comes off and gets reported here as 'verified no bueno'.

A few more pics of mounting up the bodywork, we picked up this super ricey 'Bomex style' rear bumper on eBay - it's essentially a cheeseball version of what we're actually going for, so we're going to cut the lower 'diffuser' off and mount our REAL diffuser in place of it...AND it was cheaper than an OEM style aftermarket bumper!

I got composite front & rear bumper supports, and on the front I'm going to have the splitter hardmounted to the bumper and the bumper support, with a fitting on the lower subframe that the splitter will attach to under the car. I then put hood pins through the front support, so I'll be able to pop the hood pins out and slide off the whole front clip as one assembly - for easier loading on the trailer and quicker disassembly. Yay!

We also just received the window set from ACW Motorsport Plastics, they're located in the UK and make a REALLY nice set of lexan windows for the E36 sedan. We got all four door windows, both quarter windows, and the rear window (for Pikes Peak, we're required to run an OEM windshield). I got sliders put in both front windows, not sure why I got one on the passenger side since this is a one-seater...but, for something this minor I figured it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:08 PM

Got the fenders cut & welded up for the widebody today. I don't have wheel spacers or our suspension in yet (both should be here by the end of the month), but I have an extra set of Gallardo wheels kicking around the shop - so we stuck one in the back to see how she sits.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:18 AM

More work done today, think I've decided to keep a rear diffuser to the same design as I'd originally planned, except with no rear bumper at all. Mostly, because this:

What's that rule about "Watch what the fast guys do" ?

Anyways, regardless of what I ultimately decide to do with the rear bumper, the spare tire well has to go. I'm going to keep the battery in the back passenger corner, so I'll have to reinforce that a bit beyond the sheetmetal that's getting put in today.

...and, of course, some Instagram pics with the Gallardo wheels mocked up:

This afternoon I'll be cutting a template from the spare tire well to weld in place, then boxing in the right rear corner where the battery will be mounted. Stay tuned!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 AM

More updates from today - this week has been minimally productive but maximally awesome...haven't made much progress to the car, but we've got a buncha cool stuff in!

First to arrive was a package from one of our sponsors, Liquid Image Co., who's providing us with some of their wicked little HD cameras to use! Much appreciation to them for supporting the sport! This is great, because the budget was only going to allow for one or two cameras with which to film everything, and we probably weren't going to have much (if any) video prior to the actual race week...now we'll be able to have FIVE angles to film from practice & testing in the months leading up to the race!

And then, yesterday we got two big ol' heavy boxes from Ground Control, full of even more awesomeness!

You'll notice that there are rear trailing arm bearings in there, as well as two different front control arm bushings (not sure yet which ones I wanted to use, so they sent me both!). I'd already purchased some solid front LCA bushings from Bimmerworld that I hadn't installed, and we'd already installed the rear control arm bushings that I got from Turner.

Now, a word about Turner Motorsports. I'm not going to sit here and bad mouth their products, because they're top notch; I will, however, complain about their customer service. I contacted them early on asking for information on their suspension and some various other parts, and couldn't get a response from them for the life of me. I spent a grand or so on the bushings that I ordered with hopes that I'd get a response back once I'd purchased something, yet again - not a peep from 'em though. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the products that I purchased from them and that have been installed thus far, as they're top notch - but their unwillingness to offer any support dissuaded me from doing any further purchases. So, enter Jay Morris and Donovan at Ground Control, who were generous enough to hook us up with the above pictured suspension setup - pretty much everything they make for the car! They included their rear trailing arm bearings as well, so it was out with the units from Turner and in with the GC's!

Yaaaaay!

The wheel spacers/adapters from Motorsport-Tech are scheduled to show up on Friday, and the current plan is to spend Saturday and Sunday getting the suspension on the car and, with the exception of the fuel cell, finishing up the underside of the car. More updates to come!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 PM

Wheel spacers showed up today! Shown here next to a can of water for size comparison

It's going to be a productive weekend
Old 01-31-2014, 10:09 AM

So I decided that I wanted to run a hood vent from a GT500, and picked one up from some Mustang parts site for around $100 or so. Turns out it's a bit too wide, so it's going to need to be refabricated a bit...

Whoops, sawzall got away from me a bit...no worries, I've got a file

I use an epoxy called 'Plastic Welder' by VersaChem on all my plastic repairs and glue-ings, I've used this stuff for years and I love it. It's great on older cars that are getting restorations that have cracked trim or trim that's missing chunks where the plastic has disentigrated...just have to let this stuff sit up for a bit and it'll somewhat melt the plastic together; then sand, primer, and paint, and you can never tell! I doubt I'll be doing this particular piece to 100% show-quality smooth (because racecar), but the untrained eye won't be able to tell even up close when I'm done

Now just gotta let this guy sit overnight, then sand/fill/finish tomorrow!

Meanwhile, John has spent the last few hours cutting, fitting, and welding in reinforcements for the rear subframe. Once these are all boxed in, we'll be going back over and seam-welding the whole thing. We aren't doing any reinforcements for the rear sway bar mounts, since we aren't running a rear sway bar. The rear lower control arms should be finished being welded and boxed in this afternoon as well.

I'll post finished photos once we're done with all the welding.

UPS also showed up with the first set of wheels as I was posting this...they're knockoff BBS LM wheels, but they're GREAT quality - and they weigh about a pound less each than the 'real' LM's (21lbs each). 18x9, et35, and we'll be running 275/35's on all four corners. Would I rather run real BBS wheels? Sure, but given the price, and that I'm confident in the build quality of these wheels, plus the fact that there's a REALLY good chance that I'm gonna tear some wheels up during the hillclimb...yeah, I'll be bueno with these

Old 01-31-2014, 02:50 PM

Got the rear subframe all welded up, we boxed in the two mounting ears and then seam welded the rest of the subframe. Also finished up the rear lower control arms, we ran out of metal scrap that we were using to fill everything in and on top of that the welder started running low on gas towards the end, so forgive the bubblegum boo boo welds. I hit the freshly sanded/welded spots with some primer since we'll be going back over and sandblasting and/or powerwashing the entire underside of the car prior to the final reassembly once the cage is finished, so this is just a temporary coat. I also want to make sure everything bolts up, lines up, fits right, and works properly with everything being welded up - so in case I have to go back and make any additional modifications or adjustments I won't have to ruin a fresh 'good' finish.

Also fudged up a bit earlier in the build - I didn't think ahead and pressed the rear trailing arm bearings out before we got ready to weld, and I was concerned about the spot for the bearing warping under heat while welding, so I went ahead and pressed the new Turner bearings in - they seem fine, but I'm most likely going to go ahead and get another set and press them in just to make sure they're A-OK.

Heck yes. I'm super excited, I never imagined the car would be this far along by now. Heck, I didn't think I was going to be able to have suspension or bodywork before March...another shout out to a few of my sponsors - Sarto Racing and Ground Control - for coming through and making stuff happen!! Now that I've got everything here for the suspension, bodywork, and undercar, we'll be spending the day tomorrow getting all the suspension and brakes bolted up and the bodywork final-fitted; from there the bodywork will go off to the paint shop and the car will go to the fab shop to have the cage put in...and then we'll tear it all back down, finish seam welding the chassis, paint the inside and underside of the chassis, and then put her back together!

Woot!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i6, E36 M3/4/5
Hey I really like what you've done with the car so far. Everything from the wheel spacers to the rear diffuser is crazy (in a good way) and really cool. I'm excited to see the finished product. Any updates on the build?

Click HERE or PM me for E36 M3 grey interior parts
Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 AM

Got her all bolted together today!

Keep in mind, she's not clean yet - we've yet to tear it completely back down, strip the bottom, finish seam welding, and paint the chassis. This is just an initial test-fitting, if you will!

We've still got to put her on the scales and adjust the suspension and set the alignment, so none of the suspension bolts are more than finger tight. Plenty enough to roll her outside and give her some air!

Now if only the damn cage would show up!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 AM

Got the suspension finished up, and took her to our friendly neighbors at Houston Z to get a 'preliminary' alignment done. Granted things are going to change a good bit, and we'll be putting it on the scales and doing another 'real' alignment once we have the cage in and the car all together; this is just so we can roll it around while we get the cage in and the chassis finished over the next week

Tomorrow, we start on the cage!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 AM

A few updates, got the bodywork back from paint today and got it fitted up...I decided that I think I WILL go with the rear bumper cover after all, as I initially intended. Makes the car look 'complete'. I'm also concerned about the Pikes Peak rulebook only allowing 932 square inches of additional vertical panels for the Time Attack 1 class, and running the rear 'open' with a huge diffuser as I initially intended is going to blow WAY past the allotted aerodynamic real estate. I'll have it over to paint on Friday, and hopefully have it back early next week. My buddy Nick from Nick's Custom Detailing out of Dallas is coming down next week to do some crazy cool paint cleanup / refreshing / restoration to make the dull, old Cosmos Schwarz look new and shiny like the newly painted stuff! He's done this sort of work on several cars for us in the past, and it's INSANE what someone with the right knowledge and skills combined with proper equipment can do to dull, old paint! Our graphics should be in by then, so as soon as Nick is finished makin' it shiny, we'll get it all stickered up!

In the meantime, the 'main' part of the cage is finished, and we've finished most of the seam welding spare a few spots on the front of the cabin; when I say 'main' part, I mean the 'basic cage that we need per the rule book to pass tech.' We've still got to add a fuel cell, so I'm holding off on finishing all the additional rear supports and such on the cage until we have the fuel cell in, to make sure that'll fit snugly. We should have the seam welding finished this week, then we've got to clean/prep/prime/paint the inside of the car (going to just go with black). I'll pop some of those photos up as they become available

For now, here's a few quick snaps of the bodywork - still needs some adjusting, and I'm going to have to go a bit lower and wider on the front splitter...but, for the most part, I think it's coming along nicely!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 AM

Bit more progress today, got the diffuser built and mounted up, and got the bodywork all fitted up and clearanced for the tires. I'm dropping the rear bumper off at paint tomorrow, so hopefully it'll be done in the next few days. I've still gotta make finishing panels for the rear bumper, so pardon the haggardness at the moment - waiting until the bumper is painted to fit them on. Also was able to get the hood cut and get the GT500 scoop mounted, and got the front clip all fastened and tightened and such - it's set up so that it vents from the space between the radiator and the engine, and with the ducting we're building tomorrow it should route just enough air through the main lower opening of the bumper, up through the radiator, and then out of the vent in the hood. Hopefully it works!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 AM

Couplea updated photos...got the lexan in and some decals on!

It's finally back to being 'nice' outside, so we should have the rear bumper back in the next few days...spoiler should be in sometime next week, too!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Busted ass the last few days to get the car done, had to get up at 5am for a photo shoot with some magazine photogs! Didn't get any photos of the last bits of the assembly process; but here she is!

We've got a few more odds and ends to patch up and get taken care of...but, for the most part, I'm pretty happy with how she came out

Stay tuned for video footage of our upcoming on-track shakedown runs!

- - - Updated - - -

A few more photos of the Brooks Motorsport wing

Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 PM

Wow that's an amazing transformation. The car looks great. Out of curiosity, how did you determine the angle and dimensions for the diffuser? And have you done any testing of the aerodynamic components yet? I see that you swapped the rear wing out for a different one. It looks like the newer wing is mounted higher and further off the back of the trunk, was this the main reason for switching? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the straight vs curved profile of the two wings?
One more thing; it looks like you have porsche calipers in the front and stock rear calipers. If this is the case, how are you controlling brake bias? What vehicle are the porsche calipers from? And did you fabricate the carrier/adapter bracket or is that something that is commercially available?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
Wow that's an amazing transformation. The car looks great. Out of curiosity, how did you determine the angle and dimensions for the diffuser? And have you done any testing of the aerodynamic components yet? I see that you swapped the rear wing out for a different one. It looks like the newer wing is mounted higher and further off the back of the trunk, was this the main reason for switching? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the straight vs curved profile of the two wings?
One more thing; it looks like you have porsche calipers in the front and stock rear calipers. If this is the case, how are you controlling brake bias? What vehicle are the porsche calipers from? And did you fabricate the carrier/adapter bracket or is that something that is commercially available?
As far as the angles for the diffuser and wing, those are guesstimates based on extensive research we've done from various sources. We have done some minimal testing on them; we begin doing shakedown runs at a local road course next week and we'll see how they work and what needs to be done from there.

The main reason I swapped the wings was because I wanted a Brooks Pro Carbon from the start, but didn't have the money at first. I'd already ordered a set of their laid back uprights that we were going to use with the old wing, the idea is to get the wing up and into clear/clean air as opposed to that which is coming over the top of the car and down over the deck lid.

They're Porsche 996 turbo calipers with brackets from RallyRoad and CSL rotors. I don't have anything to adjust the bias currently, these really don't offer much better 'braking' than the stock M3 brakes - the reason for going with these calipers is to be able to use the bigger rotors and get more surface area and thus better heat dissipation/cooling. Should I end up having issues with the bias, I'm going to get a Wilwood adjustable prop. valve and throw that on

MOAR PICS!!!!!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 PM

Is that an extinguisher bottle mounted where the passenger seat would go? What system are you using? And where do you have the nozzles mounted/plumbed? Thanks in advance.
-Will

Old 04-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 328i
The car looks great. What about the shakedown testing? Do you have experience on track with an E36 with a rear sway bar compared to without? How about the aluminum guibo?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 95 M3
How much for a set of those flares ?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto:
That looks like a ton of fun! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app