Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 01-08-2014, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 87 535i
E28: 535i Suspension questions?

So I'm new to the older BMWs and picked up an 86 535i. It came with cut springs and blown struts. Just got my new springs and struts in and need a little help with the install.

Springs: Vogtland Sports
Struts: Bilstein Touring

I guess my question is what do i use from the old suspension when i install the new goodies. I've looked everywhere with a write-up with no luck.

Any help would be great!!!

Advertisement
Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 AM

Heres a couple more pics of awesomness lol.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:05 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Go to RealOem.com and enter the pertinent info for your car, then look up the various suspension diagrams that you need. They will provide you with the correct parts and their order of assembly.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
Go to RealOem.com and enter the pertinent info for your car, then look up the various suspension diagrams that you need. They will provide you with the correct parts and their order of assembly.
ADDED: Considering the springs have already been hacked, I wouldnt think I'd need a spring compressor. As soon as I removed the suspension, the spring was already free from the strut. WAS NOT TIGHT AT ALL lol.

I appreciate the link. I have removed the passenger front suspension and moved on to removing the top hat. Then ran into the next problem. As I try to loosen the top hat nut, the strut itself spins. I've tried clamp and vice grips to hold it, but it didnt work.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachmanners View Post
ADDED: Considering the springs have already been hacked, I wouldnt think I'd need a spring compressor. As soon as I removed the suspension, the spring was already free from the strut. WAS NOT TIGHT AT ALL lol.

I appreciate the link. I have removed the passenger front suspension and moved on to removing the top hat. Then ran into the next problem. As I try to loosen the top hat nut, the strut itself spins. I've tried clamp and vice grips to hold it, but it didnt work.
Try using two pairs of curved jaw visegrips on the strut insert shaft, heating the nut, using a penetrant on it, heating it some more, using "CRC Freeze-off", using an impact wrench on it, etc. Try scuffing up the shaft with a file or something to give the visegrips some extra grip. Keep on it and you will eventually get it off. You can also try cutting the top nut off with a Dremel or other such cutoff blade. Don't let a frozen fastener hold up your project.

Last edited by catso; 01-13-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
Try using two pairs of curved jaw visegrips on the strut insert shaft, heating the nut, using a penetrant on it, heating it some more, using "CRC Freeze-off", using an impact wrench on it, etc. Try scuffing up the shaft with a file or something to give the visegrips some extra grip. Keep on it and you will eventually get it off. You can also try cutting the top nut off with a Dremel or other such cutoff blade. Don't let a frozen fastener hold up your project.
I'll definitely go presoak it with some PBlaster and see if that helps. I really appreciate the help man!