Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Coupe Auto
Auto dimming mirror option

I know that there is no way to turn off the auto dimming mirror function, but has anyone searched out the wires and installed a switch? I did not see anything on the DIY site.

Thanks!

Rob
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
If you don't like the electrical tape solution, the auto-dimming feature can be disabled through coding.

There are forums in both Bimmerfest and E90Post where you can find someone who could do this for you remotely for a small fee.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
The problem is that sometimes it is a useful feature and sometimes it isn't. BMW should have provided a switch that lets the driver decide when he wants autodimming and when he does not - or better yet a three position switch - dim, no dim, auto dim.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 AM

The switch would have been the intelligent thing to do no doubt. Off permanently is not what I would like, having a choice is what I seek. Doing the electrical tape now and very happy. 95% of the time I want the mirrors normal! but once in a while, when the guy with the squirrel hunting headlight is behind me, that's when I would switch it on!

Rob

Last edited by Bigrob126; 01-09-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I came up with a very low tech but effective solution.

I made a device out of the top of a Tic Tac box that I mounted over the sensor. It is usually closed, blocking the sensor, but if I want the autodim feature I can open it.

X

X

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The problem is that sometimes it is a useful feature and sometimes it isn't. BMW should have provided a switch that lets the driver decide when he wants autodimming and when he does not - or better yet a three position switch - dim, no dim, auto dim.
I have had my car for 3 years and can't say I have ever come across a situation where I wanted to shut if off. When is it a problem?

The only time I can think of might be in my parking garage on a sunny day. The front sensor is in the dark but the rear grabs the sunlight so the mirrors dim and I can't use the mirrors to back up. That happens a couple times a year for a few seconds. I can't say it's every bothered me enough to be concerned.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
I have had my car for 3 years and can't say I have ever come across a situation where I wanted to shut if off. When is it a problem?

The only time I can think of might be in my parking garage on a sunny day. The front sensor is in the dark but the rear grabs the sunlight so the mirrors dim and I can't use the mirrors to back up. That happens a couple times a year for a few seconds. I can't say it's every bothered me enough to be concerned.
Have you never had a big truck behind you with the lights blinding you?? Or a wreck of a car with the light aiming wherever?....in your eyes! It's really bothersome, to say the least.....for me anyway!

Rob
Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:

I made a device out of the top of a Tic Tac box that I mounted over the sensor. It is usually closed, blocking the sensor, but if I want the autodim feature I can open it.

X

X
I like it! I thought about using an eyeglass hinge, with something attached to line up with and block the sensor, and glue to top of mirror and swing up and down as needed.

Rob
Old 01-09-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
Have you never had a big truck behind you with the lights blinding you?? Or a wreck of a car with the light aiming wherever?....in your eyes! It's really bothersome, to say the least.....for me anyway!
If you re-read my post you will realize I said I never have had a time when I want to shut it off. I love the auto dim feature and wouldn't want to lose it. Actually I am looking at possible new vehicles and I want the auto dim in the rear view mirror and outside mirrors.

So..... back to my original question, why woud you ever want to shut it off????
Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
If you re-read my post you will realize I said I never have had a time when I want to shut it off. I love the auto dim feature and wouldn't want to lose it. Actually I am looking at possible new vehicles and I want the auto dim in the rear view mirror and outside mirrors.

So..... back to my original question, why woud you ever want to shut it off????
My apologies! My windows are tinted, lightly, but the combo of the dimming and tint is too much for me. Just my preference!

Rob
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
My apologies! My windows are tinted, lightly, but the combo of the dimming and tint is too much for me. Just my preference!
Well that makes sense.

I can see why you would want tinted windows in Vegas. It's not an issue here. Wish we had more sun.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
I've never wanted to turn mine off either. This topic has come up before. A switch would probably be nice, but I doubt I would use it myself.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 PM

The main reason for my wanting my mirrors to be normal in the evenings is because I have my passenger side mirror set for my blind spot. With the tinting on my windows and the dimming, I can't see a car next to me unless I look hard and long, or if I catch his lights. With the mirrors in normal mode, I can see him much easier, lights or not. I guess its a safety issue in my case.

Rob

Last edited by Bigrob126; 01-10-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 335i E93
Quote:

X

X
Like a boss!

"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna
Old 01-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i xDrive
Quote:

Your windows tinted?

You can't see anything out of your mirrors at night other than headlights.

I had a copper right on me for 15 minutes and didn't even know until he changed lanes sped up and passed me.