Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-09-2014, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Question Starts then stops in cold weather (with video)

Hello, I am new here. I have been along time reader on the forums when i have issues and look them up. This is usually the place with the answer or at least best next step in troubleshooting. That is why I am here today.

My car will not start.
This past Tuesday, it was -26.5 degrees Celsius (-15.7 Fahrenheit) and my car tried to start a bit, then started and stopped less than a second after.

I tried several times until the battery was not able to spin the starter fast enough anymore. Then I started up my wife's Subaru Forester. It struggled a bit, but fired up.

I hooked booster cables from the Subaru battery to the battery terminals under the hood on my car. I let it sit there for a minute to charge my battery a bit. Then I tried to start my car while still connected. The same issue as the first time happened. It started very very briefly, they died.

I banged my head a few times and tried a few more times with the same result. Made sure the jumper cabled sparked when connected to be sure that there was power going through.

I tried putting in gas line anti-freeze. It did not help.

Then I borrowed a battery charger, pulled the battery out of my truck and charged it over the next ~18 hours until the charger said it was full.

Today it is not as cold (-11 degrees Celsius, 12.2 Fahrenheit), I tried starting it again a few more times. Same result. Here is a video:
(Sorry, links on the forum are not working right)
youtube.com /watch?v=Ny-sLRYVH-o

Here is a video from Tuesday night (two days ago) when I was trying as well before charging the battery, while it was connected to my wife's running Subaru's battery:
(Sorry, links on the forum are not working right)
youtube.com /watch?v=Lzu19rvU2-8
(Sorry about the distortion, some issue with my phone's software)

Since it does start, I do not think it is the starter. I assume it is some kind of safety or sensor, maybe something that kicks in after the engine starts.

I have read many threads with related issues and I have not found anybody with the same issue. I would like to figure it out while it is still cold so that I can get it fixed before the cold goes away and I cannot find the cause till I am stranded somewhere.

I just had an oil change last week. There were no issues at that time. I did not drive it from Monday around noon till I found the issue Tuesday morning.
2007 (E90) 328xi, 80,000km on it.

Last edited by dege13; 01-10-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Trying to fix youtube links...
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Got the car towed (flat bed) to my mechanic (my brother in law's shop) today.

These codes came up on their Snap On scanner:
VANOS Inlet
Valvetronic Eccentric Shaft Sensor Power Supply
Cam sensor something
Immobilizer something
Starter something

Many of these were likely related to the low battery a few times.
They cleared the codes and tried to start the car again. No codes came up when trying to start it.

Hooked up a second battery and it still did not start (as I expected).
Tried to work out any possible flooding and it still didn't start.
Tried ether in the air intake to try to point to a fuel delivery issue, and that also did not work.

Parts to be replaced so far:
Spark plugs - They were not clean.
Valve cover gasket - There was lots of oil on the spark plug boots.
Battery - Likely original and getting weak from trying to start so much.

I expect there to be more on Monday when the parts are all installed. I will keep the thread updated in case anyone else sees these issues in the future.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 e91
well, a low battery will throw some weird codes....maybe its just so cold that the car cannot adjust properly or something is frozen shut....

JP
Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dege13 View Post
Got the car towed (flat bed) to my mechanic (my brother in law's shop) today.

A....heated shop?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:09 AM

Yes, it is a heated shop. It is a normal consumer mechanic shop with all the amenities.

Just remembered these things that we tried in the shop;
- all fuses in glove box fuse box were checked and work.
- hooked another battery up to the battery with jumper cables to run the started for a bit with the throttle open to make sure the engine was not flooded.

While in the shop, it would no longer even start for a part of a second anymore. So the issue seemed to have worsened. Still waiting for an update from the shop on the status. They had to wait till today for a new battery. Not that the battery was a real issue, but it was likely getting old.

Last edited by dege13; 01-13-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 PM

Issue is fixed. All the work listed above was done, plus there was a crack in what looked like a vacuum line to the valve cover.