Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-10-2014, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i 3.5
325i Starter Subwoofer Problems?

So I bought an 06 bmw 325i from my friends dealership and he said there were no problems with it and there really wasnt only little detail things but the car did have 113k miles..

2 weeks go by and i decide to get 2 12inch subwoofers installed in my car, and i get it from the shop drive it around show off my beat to my friends and 4 hours go by driving around, and decided to stop to get some beer come back to my car try to turn it on and it wouldnt, i thought it was the battery maybe, tried to jump it still didnt work all the lights and electric in the car was working but the car wasnt starting.

took it to the shop and they said the starter was done, so they replaced it with a new one but what im trying to figure out, was it bcuz of the subwoofers that my starter fried or was it maybe set to happen and my friend (dealer) didnt tell me , maybe he knew about it ..

help, i want to puts subs in my car, but i dont want to mess up my starter again
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 e91
unrelated items....

the starters may or may not give warning when they go....some just up and quit...113,000 miles its not out of the question that this could happen. I hope you have replaced the water pump or are thinking about it soon.... (sorry, they tend to get tired after 80,000)

Has the battery been tested?...load tested?...be sure its healthy...(Im assuming the shop that replaced the starter tested the battery)

Im just assuming a scenario: showing off the stereo to your buds and had the car turned off but accessories on...that will kill the battery pretty quickly. (you said 4 hours went by...)

let me know if Im off base on that assumption....(should never assume anyway!)

JP
Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliAhmadi325i View Post
So I bought an 06 bmw 325i from my friends dealership and he said there were no problems with it and there really wasnt only little detail things but the car did have 113k miles..

2 weeks go by and i decide to get 2 12inch subwoofers installed in my car, and i get it from the shop drive it around show off my beat to my friends and 4 hours go by driving around, and decided to stop to get some beer come back to my car try to turn it on and it wouldnt, i thought it was the battery maybe, tried to jump it still didnt work all the lights and electric in the car was working but the car wasnt starting.

took it to the shop and they said the starter was done, so they replaced it with a new one but what im trying to figure out, was it bcuz of the subwoofers that my starter fried or was it maybe set to happen and my friend (dealer) didnt tell me , maybe he knew about it ..

help, i want to puts subs in my car, but i dont want to mess up my starter again

This stuff must come in waves....view:

HERE

HERE
Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 PM

Not sure they said they smogged it and test drove it for 50 miles to make sure there weren't any other problems . They fixed two oil leaks but there is another leak that i noticed its coming from the front left tire.any ideas on what that could be? And as far as the water pumps go and everything else that u listed, i'm not too sure man im a noob when it comes to bmw's or cars in general haha, I'm more experienced when it comes to stereo and electrical components of a car but mechanical im not too great. Youtube comes in handy tho hahah.. what should i get checked and whatshould i do to keep the car in shape
Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
unrelated items....

the starters may or may not give warning when they go....some just up and quit...113,000 miles its not out of the question that this could happen. I hope you have replaced the water pump or are thinking about it soon.... (sorry, they tend to get tired after 80,000)

Has the battery been tested?...load tested?...be sure its healthy...(Im assuming the shop that replaced the starter tested the battery)

Im just assuming a scenario: showing off the stereo to your buds and had the car turned off but accessories on...that will kill the battery pretty quickly. (you said 4 hours went by...)

JP

Not sure they said they smogged it and test drove it for 50 miles to make sure there weren't any other problems . They fixed two oil leaks but there is another leak that i noticed its coming from the front left tire.any ideas on what that could be? And as far as the water pumps go and everything else that u listed, i'm not too sure man im a noob when it comes to bmw's or cars in general haha, I'm more experienced when it comes to stereo and electrical components of a car but mechanical im not too great. Youtube comes in handy tho hahah.. what should i get checked and whatshould i do to keep the car in shape
Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
This stuff must come in waves....view:

HERE

HERE

Its not the battery, it was the starter but i was just trying to see if my subwoofers had some type of effect on the starter for it go bad like that.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
unrelated items....

JP
but to answer your other question , i wasnt really playing it while the car was off more or so just driving u know. But i heard that the batter stays on in a bmw when u turn it off for like 1 minute. the battery is good tho, they have the sameone in there, it said the battery died as well when my starter went bad but i think they recharged it bcuz its perfectly fine now..

I had a yellow water pump sign show up on my dashboard once a few weeks ago but i haven't seen it since, ill see it here and there.. is that the water pump u were talking about ?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliAhmadi325i View Post
Its not the battery, it was the starter but i was just trying to see if my subwoofers had some type of effect on the starter for it go bad like that.

Well, how did the starter fail? Shorted windings, what? Or, maybe it was R&R'd w/o going deep and is now gone.

You should do the tests in the first videos....