Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-10-2014, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 323i 2007
overheating problem

Hi,

I have a BMW 323I 2007. I was driving on the highway and a yellow sign of overheating turned on and it quickly turned into the red overheating sign. I lost power and couldn't accelerate. I parked the car and checked the coolant.there was coolant already. I waited a little bit and turned my car on. drove back to my work(wasn't far) and when i parked, heard the engine or the fan was making alot of noise. after work, i only turned the car on to see if there's a strange noise, but everything seems to be fine, the engine had no sound. i towed the car but i'm waiting till monday because everything was already closed. Also, i tried the heater and it wasnt working...did someone had the same thing? did my car had alot of damage?

Thanks for the feedback

ED
Ads by Google
Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 e91
Its never good when the coolant light comes on, especially when it goes to red. good that you pulled over and stopped. I hope it was within a few seconds of the red light. the potential for damage to the motor rises as the seconds tick by....

The fans come on like that when the car is in stop and go traffic to keep the motor cool....or when its overheating.

2 things: it was very very cold when you started your car and you got on the highway soon therafter.....your coolant may have been near frozen and was not circulating properly causing the engine to overheat....once the warmth got to the rest of the cooling system, it was able to circulate again...relieving the problem.

the other thing it could be is the water pump. ....The fact that the heater is not working properly is due to the fact that the coolant is now low (or was low to begin with) and there is not enough fluid to reach the heater core.

If it was towed, Im assuming its at a mechanic or dealer?

JP
Old 01-10-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
Its never good when the coolant light comes on, especially when it goes to red. good that you pulled over and stopped. I hope it was within a few seconds of the red light. the potential for damage to the motor rises as the seconds tick by....

The fans come on like that when the car is in stop and go traffic to keep the motor cool....or when its overheating.

2 things: it was very very cold when you started your car and you got on the highway soon therafter.....your coolant may have been near frozen and was not circulating properly causing the engine to overheat....once the warmth got to the rest of the cooling system, it was able to circulate again...relieving the problem.

the other thing it could be is the water pump. ....The fact that the heater is not working properly is due to the fact that the coolant is now low (or was low to begin with) and there is not enough fluid to reach the heater core.

If it was towed, Im assuming its at a mechanic or dealer?

JP
Thank you for the reply, it took almost 3 minutes to get out of the highway with the red sign on. i towed it to the mechanic but not opened till monday. Im a llittle nurvous about it because i drove with the red sign on(hope i did not break the engine). when i started the car after everything hapened, the engine wasnt making any weird noise...hope i did not break something. when the red sign was on, i could not accelerate. i was going 70 km and then it dropped to 20 km once the red sign was on.

ED
Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasdaou View Post
Hi,

I have a BMW 323I 2007. I was driving on the highway and a yellow sign of overheating turned on and it quickly turned into the red overheating sign. I lost power and couldn't accelerate. I parked the car and checked the coolant.there was coolant already. I waited a little bit and turned my car on. drove back to my work(wasn't far) and when i parked, heard the engine or the fan was making alot of noise. after work, i only turned the car on to see if there's a strange noise, but everything seems to be fine, the engine had no sound. i towed the car but i'm waiting till monday because everything was already closed. Also, i tried the heater and it wasnt working...did someone had the same thing? did my car had alot of damage?

Why does this sound familiar? Ummmm....was the weather cold?

Hard to say if damaged, from the other end of an Internet post.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Why does this sound familiar? Ummmm....was the weather cold?

Hard to say if damaged, from the other end of an Internet post.
yes, the weatger is cold
Old 01-11-2014, 03:05 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=745899

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 01-11-2014, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto:
I have a 2007 335i. Same problem a month ago. Towed to a very good local BMW mechanic. Turns out it was the water pump. They typically quit around 60k miles. And, they are electric, not belt driven. Cost me about $1200 to get it replaced. Good luck.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-11-2014, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540
You need a water pump. Guaranteed.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
You need a water pump. Guaranteed.
yes!i got it checked and i need a water pump. He said it should cost me a total of 1000$ .

Thanks for the reply