Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 01-12-2014, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M5
Simple Tips and Tricks?!

I bought the m5 back in early november 2013, and it started snowing shortly after that. So i have only driven it a hand full of times since november. Last night I took it out, and I kept finding new questions...maily on the SMG. So im here asking you guys if you have any tips on how to use the SMG properly, and how to use the car generally overall. A few of my questions below...

1. Do you let off the gas when shifting?
* I heard you can burn the clutch.

2. When is a good rmp to shift in city driving?
* I heard mid shifting is bad for the Tranny.

3. When leaving a traffic light, I notice as i let off the breaks, it takes a second for the car to be released, is this normal, and do i wait before accelerating?

I just don't want to destroy the expensive engine, I really can't afford the use the ol' trail and error method. Any other tips or tricks on how to drive this car would be great. I know im going overboard, but everyone says you can't drive this car like a normal car...and no one explains what they are talking about!

THANKS
Ads by Google
Old 01-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M6
I own an 08' m6 e63 smg...I've read that you do not need to let off of the gas when shifting. The car will work with you once you get used to driving smg. That delay you feel when coming to a stop is normal. Once u've mastered the smg you rarely will feel that extra push feeling when coming to a full stop. It's a pretty tough engine so don't worry about messing it up..though I would recommend an extended warranty. My m6 isn't a daily driver and only driven on nice days..so I know the feeling of wanting to get used to it and drive it more lol. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1389579801.781767.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	416724

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the advice! Do you have any tips on city driving? Currently I will keep from shifting often, and just keep the car in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, when driving city. I'm just curious if its okay to cruise with the RPM around 3-5,000?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M6
I'll be honest I'm not sure. Hopefully another member can weigh in that knows more..

Old 01-15-2014, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
1. Do you let off the gas when shifting?
* I heard you can burn the clutch.

Yes, a lot of M5 owners let of slightly during the shift, this tends to result in smoother shifts. It's not bad on the clutch at all, it's a good habit to have if you're concerned about smooth shifts.

2. When is a good rmp to shift in city driving?
* I heard mid shifting is bad for the Tranny.

If I'm just cruising around in traffic I shift between 3,500 and 4,000. Shifting around there combined with a slight lift-off during the shift makes it about as smooth as possible for the SMG. In stop and go traffic, there's just no good method, it sucks. I have a road I hit on my way home from work that is 10 minutes of stop and go, completely unavoidable (any alternate routes are 10+ minutes further and also have traffic) and it sucks. I typically never get out of first gear.

3. When leaving a traffic light, I notice as i let off the breaks, it takes a second for the car to be released, is this normal, and do i wait before accelerating?

That is the hill-assist and is very helpful with these cars since there is no tourque converter to keep you from moving. The hill assist engages for about a second, or until you hit the gas. It'll keep you from rolling forwards/backwards until you can get on the gas and move. Helpful since you can't regulate with a clutch pedal.

I've had my car for almost 2 months now and am still learning things. I get to drive my car to work every day though. It truly is an incredible machine.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 PM

Thank you so much! This really helped. I guess once spring gets here I'll be a little more prepaid. It's been frustrating buying this car in November, and basically putting in the garage for the winter. I've only driven it 7 or 8 days since I owned it. So I have the idea on how it operates and how to get smooth correct shifts, but still need more seat time before I truly learn the car and everything becomes like clockwork.