Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 10-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jeff330i
Mein Auto: '02 330i ZJC
question about uploading songs to ipod

i was purchasing songs off itunes, and they seem to only be offered at 128 bites/sec, and they are called "high quality" on the site. When ripping CD's using itunes, 128 bites/sec is also the default setting. However all the songs my friends have are 192 and higher, and they told me that 128 is crap. Should i rip the CD's at a higher quality? another friend told me that 128 is high enough?!?!
please help this is so confusing to me, i have 3/4 of my 4 gig ipod filled with 128 and i'm reconsidering ripping the rest of my CD's with 192 instead of 128.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: '03 330i ZHP
When I starting becoming interested in MP3 I did some sound quality comparisons of music at various bit rates, and found on many types of music 128kbs leaves audbile artifacts. I'm a bit of sound quality nut so I rip all mine at 256kbs, but 192kbs is good too. On a portable boom box it might not make any difference but on a high quality stereo it does. I noticed the difference mostly on vocals and higher frequencies.

Because itunes only offers 128kbs, I stayed away from itunes AND the ipod. I figured if they can't offer truely high quality songs on their download site why should I support the player? I bought an iRiver IHP-120.

The bottom line is...do they sound good to you at 128kbs? If so don't change.
BMW Aluminum Pedals
PIAA Bulbs
Bimmerfreak Black-out Grill
Valentine V1

Old 10-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor

Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster, 1998 M3
Purchased music for the iPod uses the ACC format. ACC, as I understand at a non-technical level, is a variable bit rate compression scheme that sounds better than MP3 at the same bit rate.

On the other hand, I avoid buying on the Apple music site for primarily this reason -- and get CDs instead.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to nickeltong
Mein Auto: 2004 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff330i
i was purchasing songs off itunes, and they seem to only be offered at 128 bites/sec, and they are called "high quality" on the site. When ripping CD's using itunes, 128 bites/sec is also the default setting. However all the songs my friends have are 192 and higher, and they told me that 128 is crap. Should i rip the CD's at a higher quality? another friend told me that 128 is high enough?!?!
please help this is so confusing to me, i have 3/4 of my 4 gig ipod filled with 128 and i'm reconsidering ripping the rest of my CD's with 192 instead of 128.
Jeff, here is a little info on AAC

Apple's purchased songs are AAC encoded with Digital Rights Management (DRM) called Fairplay. When you rip songs from CD in iTunes into AAC, those songs will be free of DRM. AAC is supposed to be much better than MP3 but then I can not tell the difference between 128 and 192 bit encoded songs on any system played back from an iPod. You can only tell the difference when you burn such songs on CD and play them back on higher end sound systems.

2004 330ci Cab, Ti Silver, Montana Grey, Auto, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Alarm, & Aux-in Kit.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to jeff330i
Mein Auto: '02 330i ZJC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeltong
Jeff, here is a little info on AAC

Apple's purchased songs are AAC encoded with Digital Rights Management (DRM) called Fairplay. When you rip songs from CD in iTunes into AAC, those songs will be free of DRM. AAC is supposed to be much better than MP3 but then I can not tell the difference between 128 and 192 bit encoded songs on any system played back from an iPod. You can only tell the difference when you burn such songs on CD and play them back on higher end sound systems.

wow, great this is exactly the kind of information i was looking for.
so apparently AAC's are nothing like MP3's. I guess i'll keep the 128 bit encoding