Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:51 AM
D Woolley

Mein Auto: 05-645 / 14 435I
Coolant pipe

I had a little green fluid under my car yesturday , have any of you all had to replace ?if so what kind of cost is this?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
More information...
Where ie front, back, right-side, left-side...

Is it green or actually got a little blue tint to it and seems oily?

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi! you need to find the source of the leak before you can ask the question!! I say this because if it is a simple leak ie one of the hoses, expansion tank fine !!!! The true coolant pipe leak is where the fluid leaks out of a weep hole at the front of the engine block, this is the tell-tale sign that the internal coolant pipe seal has corroded....If you look at the TIS you will see the location.
In the UK this will cost between 7k-9k to repair the one problem...... The threat of this leak is why I sold my 645 (N62 engine). I will never have a BMW with the N62 engine, I personally feel this problem totally undermines one of the best cars BMW have ever put on the road!!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !

Last edited by 645/333; 01-14-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:50 PM
D Woolley

Left side as you're facing the car, green with a little blue to it and oily.

I haven't found the source yet was just asking a question.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Michael

Hi! hopefully you can find the source and it is an easy fix, one of the pipes that does go is across the top of the radiator the small pipe. As you know a picture always helps many of the guys to help you ........ At least you have an idea of the implications of the coolant pipe leak. there are a number of kits on the market to fix it, the problem is not the fix that is very easy, the issue is the amount of work dismantling everything to get to the pipe in question, there are some excellent threads on the issue....

Old 01-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
You could have several sources. Here are the common things to look for:

1. Expansion tank leak, left side of engine as you are looking at it.
2. Small plastic pipe that runs across the top of the radiator. Some folks have replaced this with copper tube like is used under your sink or to the back of your fridge.
3. Valley Pipe, this is the worst one obviously, it comes out of the weep hole in the front of the engine. Yorgi recently put a picture in for someone else so search "weep hole".
4. Leaky temperature sensor on the lower radiator hose. You would need to jack the car up and remove the bottom shroud, then you can get a good look at it. If this is it then you can DIY with a new O-Ring from Home Depot made by Danko (#31 I think???).
Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Check sensor on radiator hose left side, front towards bottom
Check sensor and area around expansion tank. There is actually a seam there you can barley see, but will leak under pressure.

Also when you say coolant pipe. There is one internal to the engine (intake manifold area I believe), it leaks sometimes and when it does you'll have a different set of observations then a little puddle under the car..
So when you say coolant pipe most will think your talking about that one.

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 AM
Michael

Hi ! Been thinking about your leak, do you know the colour of your power steering fluid?? Some of them are green, you may have a leak on the power steering rack if it was oily!!!!!!

Last edited by 645/333; 01-15-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
BTW - that $7k to $9k price tag on the coolant pipe is if you have a dealer do it. They pull the engine to do the replacement.

An indy will use one of the kits and it will cost MUCH LESS. I've heard 3 to 5K. If you do the work, it's less than a grand. I plan to do it myself if I ever come to the problem.

Get a flashlight in there. It should be easy to find because of the white trace the coolant will leave.
HUD, Comfort Access

Last edited by Mulchman; 01-15-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 PM
D Woolley

Ok I drove my car for 30 min today but I haven't driven it for a week so when I left this morning the car left a trail of fluid it looks like green with light blue tint. I locked under hood before I left and found some fluid around that sensor in the front left where you all told me to look. I let the car cool down jacked it up and took off under carriage it was a mess. It's been jacked up sitting for about 2 hrs and I get a drip from this area. Any thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390692613.940240.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	418897

Old 01-25-2014, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I would look at the sensor 1st. Press the 2 tab on sensor in, & pull the sensor straight up. Make sure to have some ready to catch the coolant. If you have the front of the car jacked up, the coolant might be running down hill.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:47 PM
D Woolley

Ok I will check now, how do I tell if sensor is bad?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:59 PM
D Woolley

Herb there is a lot of pressure on that, am I assuming correct that when I pull it off all the coolant will drain out?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewoolley View Post
Herb there is a lot of pressure on that, am I assuming correct that when I pull it off all the coolant will drain out?

It will run out, but remove the cap on the expansion tank to remove the pressure. This is a quick fix that happens a lot. You can put a catch pan under that hose to catch the coolant. As long as it is clean, you can put it back in. If you crank the engine & build some pressure, you can watch it with a flash light.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:47 PM
D Woolley

Thanks, I will wait till Monday so I will have a replacement sensor.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
BTW - that $7k to $9k price tag on the coolant pipe is if you have a dealer do it. They pull the engine to do the replacement.

An indy will use one of the kits and it will cost MUCH LESS. I've heard 3 to 5K. If you do the work, it's less than a grand. I plan to do it myself if I ever come to the problem.

Get a flashlight in there. It should be easy to find because of the white trace the coolant will leave.
Gee Mulch:

If you think 3-5K is not a lot of money, you can be my SugarDaddy!!!!! I am female by BTW.

Maybellineo
Old 01-26-2014, 03:44 AM
Michael

Quote:
Ok I drove my car for 30 min today but I haven't driven it for a week so when I left this morning the car left a trail of fluid it looks like green with light blue tint. I locked under hood before I left and found some fluid around that sensor in the front left where you all told me to look. I let the car cool down jacked it up and took off under carriage it was a mess. It's been jacked up sitting for about 2 hrs and I get a drip from this area. Any thoughts?Attachment 418897

That is clearly at the back of the engine, (provided it has not come from blow back when you have been driving). I know the coolant pipe weep hole is at the front of the engine, but unless anyone can add, it could be the rear seal on the coolant pipe at the back of the engine. I do not know if there is a weep hole there??? What you could do is look at the DIY's that guys have done, so you can see it stripped down it may give you more of an idea ???
IT is so hard to believe that BMW could design an engine with such an inherent weakness, that causes so much cost and distress to its car owners. 2 shabby little rubber seals costing no more than $10 can be the source of all of this......disgraceful really !!! What has made it worse is BMW's attitude to customers when this first started to happen across a range of cars. They never even fixed it in later models using the same engine N62.... You can understand failures occurring but this was going on for years on the V8 N62 engines. No wonder they have gone back to mostly 6 cylinders. one has to say that glorious straight 6>>>>>>>

Last edited by 645/333; 01-26-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 AM
D Woolley

Y'all are not going to believe this....
I took my car to bmw SA ( I'm in Port Saint Lucie and can't find a good Indy) they changed the oil and told me coolant sensor was leaking so I bought another one but they called and said the flat tire sign came up and they filled the tire but because I don't have the original rims they can't re set????? I told him he was full of it. So I went there and I guess the dumb ass didn't know you had to move the car for it to re set!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Y'all are not going to believe this....
I took my car to bmw SA ( I'm in Port Saint Lucie and can't find a good Indy) they changed the oil and told me coolant sensor was leaking so I bought another one but they called and said the flat tire sign came up and they filled the tire but because I don't have the original rims they can't re set????? I told him he was full of it. So I went there and I guess the dumb ass didn't know you had to move the car for it to re set!!!

Hey Dave:

I believe it. The dealer here in New Orleans hires high school dropouts to work on these expensive cars. By the way, how much was the coolant sensor. Do you know where it was leaking, I mean was it leaking on your garage floor. I have so far spent $1800 & my car is still linking on the passenger side right behind the tire. It stopped for a couple of days when I picked up the car & thought it was fixed, nope. I think I am looking at another $2000.

Maybellineo
Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
I recently had a coolant leak on the front passenger side... took it to my indy and he replaced the expansion tank, sensor (and I think the hose(s)) for under $300. Assuming its not the infamous weep hole leak, it shouldn't be very expensive.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
I recently had a coolant leak on the front passenger side... took it to my indy and he replaced the expansion tank, sensor (and I think the hose(s)) for under $300. Assuming its not the infamous weep hole leak, it shouldn't be very expensive.
I already had that repair done but it wasn't leaking out @ the bottom though. I kept getting the add coolant. I know they changed the expansion tank & the hoses. Not sure about the
sensor though. I can check on the repair invoice though. With this leak I have checked the coolant tank & the stick is way high up so I think it is ok. What was the color of the leak. Mine looked kinda orange-yellow.

Maybellineo
Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i Conv
i live in miami and some shop did the coolant pipe replacement in my 650i for $1800

of course if you go to the dealer gonna cost way more

good luck
Old 02-04-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2 View Post
i live in miami and some shop did the coolant pipe replacement in my 650i for $1800

of course if you go to the dealer gonna cost way more

good luck
Would an after market extended warranty like Autopom pay for the cool any pipe replacement?

Maybellineo
Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM
D Woolley

Maybellineo
They replaced the coolant sensor and the hose that is under it, for 375.00
Also they replaced an oil pressure switch for 150.00
The coolant was leaking from the coolant sensor but when I parked the car over night there would be coolant on the floor underneath the sensor which was in line with the tire and about 12 inches from the tire, there was also some leaking on the floor about the middle of the car, I believe ( hope) that is just blow back from it leaking as I was driving, I will know for sure Tommorow morning.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:01 PM
D Woolley

Angel2
What is the name of your shop in Miami.