Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe
Projector ball inside Headlights E92..

I need some help.....Look at the photo I attached to this post. The projector ball inside my headlight looks like its turned side ways. It looks the same way on both the driver and passenger side headlights. my AFS lights work however they are pointed to high in the air. I tired adjusting them and it didn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	417515  
Ads by Google
Old 01-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
What you described doesn't make sense. If the projector shrouds are pointed to the side, that is a function of the adaptive lighting system.

If they are pointing to the sky, that is a function of the self-leveling system.

It's very common for the projector assembly to pop off the self leveling stepper motor ball joint. This causes the projectors to point to the sky and bounce around. All you need to do is pull the projector assembly back on to the ball joint, granted that the mount is not broken. Just pull on the carrier and it will pop back on.

If both projectors are pointed to the side, you probably have an issue with your FRM module or possible the SAS sensor in your steering wheel....do you turn signals turn off when coming out of a turn? If only one side is pointed to the side, it's most likely the SMC II module on that side.

Fix the self leveling issue first, then worry about the adaptive system.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 01-17-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
What you described doesn't make sense. If the projector shrouds are pointed to the side, that is a function of the adaptive lighting system.

If they are pointing to the sky, that is a function of the self-leveling system.

It's very common for the projector assembly to pop off the self leveling stepper motor ball joint. This causes the projectors to point to the sky and bounce around. All you need to do is pull the projector assembly back on to the ball joint, granted that the mount is not broken. Just pull on the carrier and it will pop back on.

If both projectors are pointed to the side, you probably have an issue with your FRM module or possible the SAS sensor in your steering wheel....do you turn signals turn off when coming out of a turn? If only one side is pointed to the side, it's most likely the SMC II module on that side.

Fix the self leveling issue first, then worry about the adaptive system.
Quick history on the issue. Last week I hit a massive pot hole which blew out my Driver's front Run flat tire I think the impact must have loosened something in my headlights or whatever holds the actual ball. I'm well aware of AFS lighting system all my vehicles were equipped with that figure. However while i'm driving straight my headlights are lighting the tops of trees and are not pointing straight ahead like they are suppose too on the road. I will look into your suggestions. But your the pictures its clear that that ball inside the headlight are turned. I'm taking my vehicle to the shop on Monday.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 PM

Yes after hitting a pothole is when this is most common. Your carrier just popped out of the ball joint.

Most shops will replace the headlight because they don't know how to fix it. It is extremely easy to fix, again granted that the mount is not broken.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yes after hitting a pothole is when this is most common. Your carrier just popped out of the ball joint.

Most shops will replace the headlight because they don't know how to fix it. It is extremely easy to fix, again granted that the mount is not broken.
Do you have any steps, or DIY vids on fixing the carrier? I'm not sure what it looks like
Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 PM

When you open the back cover, look at where the D1S xenon bulb is mounted. You will be able to move this bulb, along with the carrier, if the ball joint is loose/broken. However, do NOT pull on the bulb to reposition the carrier. Pull on the carrier itself. Any lip that you can grab below the bulb will be fine.

You will be able to pull the assembly toward you and with a considerable amount of force, you will feel/hear the assembly pop back onto the joint.

Last edited by fdriller9; 01-17-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
When you open the back cover, look at where the D1S xenon bulb is mounted. You will be able to move this bulb, along with the carrier, if the ball joint is loose/broken. However, do NOT pull on the bulb to reposition the carrier. Pull on the carrier itself. Any lip that you can grab below the bulb will be fine.

You will be able to pull the assembly toward you and with a considerable amount of force, you will feel/hear the assembly pop back onto the joint.
Great I will try that this weekend and see what happens. Thanks
Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Do I have to take the wheel off and fix this through the wheel well or do I fix this under the hood where the halo lights are at? just curious
Old 01-18-2014, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
The other thing that can go wrong is the auto leveling switch is on the drivers side front wheel. If you take the wheel off, there is a small arm connected to the lower part of the strut and then to a small box mounted behind the strut on the inner fender - that sometimes will also break, come apart or over extend.

Usually the difference is that if the auto leveling sensor arm is damaged both lights have the issue and if it is an issue with the light itself, usually it only happens to one light.

Here is a thread with a pic of the auto leveling on the strut http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416917
Here are some pics if the issue is inside the headlight http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494479
Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
please let us know the outcome after.