Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335 D
335d fuel injector issues

The warranty on my 2009 335d is over. I've got 58K on it. just took to dealer after SEL went off. They said it would cost 10K (outrageous since that's half the value of the car) to replace all fuel injectors (they say they are ALL misfiring), sensor in diesel tank failed (and they say they have to replace the WHOLE tank!) and the diesel particle converter (filter) is clogged. Any advice? I'm worried about having a non expert, non BMW person play with the fuel injectors but there is no way i am paying 10k. What do you think?
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
$10k should be a crime. I'd find an independent mechanic for a comparison, the injectors may just be in need of cleaning and/or a carbon cleaning may be in order (diesels need this too).

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by munashik View Post
The warranty on my 2009 335d is over. I've got 58K on it. just took to dealer after SEL went off. They said it would cost 10K (outrageous since that's half the value of the car) to replace all fuel injectors (they say they are ALL misfiring), sensor in diesel tank failed (and they say they have to replace the WHOLE tank!) and the diesel particle converter (filter) is clogged. Any advice? I'm worried about having a non expert, non BMW person play with the fuel injectors but there is no way i am paying 10k. What do you think?
The problem is there are not too many independent mechanics that have the tools and knowledge to work on diesel. You may have no choice than working with the dealer. You can ask the dealer to contact BMW and ask them to pay for the repair. You are not alone with this problem.

The injectors failure are common, I had four round of injectors replacement. From 30 K miles to 50 K miles, I had 2 visits to the dealer for injector replacement between oil service interval. Last time, 6 months ago, they replaced all 6 injectors. 7K miles later, I am still OK. I am now at 51 K miles, I need to see if I can make it to the next oil change in 6K miles with this set of injectors. BTW, I think the injectors are about $600 each!

Last edited by montr; 01-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 335 d
I do not know if BMW injectors are fail fail, but I do know that with alot of truck injectors they 'fail' as in are weak. A good system flush and new filters with some additives can often bring them back to life.

In the 6.0 world they are known to fail. It is a pretty easy scan to figure which ones are bad. With those trucks it is the crap that builds up in the tank and lack of fuel filter swaps that cause it. With some love they can normally be brought back to life.

I have yet to play with my car on my scanner but if I get a chance this weekend I will plug it in and see what data I can pull out from it. I may be able to help you more after I can see what I can do with the scanner.

That price and dealer are insane. I would at the very least get an opinion from another dealer.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
Too bad about the injectors. I brought my 2011 to the dealer at 49,950 miles for an SEL and am now waiting for replacement injectors to be installed. Is there any discussion regarding a class action suit against BMW regarding this. Possible remedies would be a factor retrofitted secondary fuel filter or a revised injector design. Is this happening to Mercedes and Audi diesels as well?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by munashik View Post
Aren't the items you were told failed covered by the emission warranty?? http://www.carcarepeople.com/a/feder...y-how-it-works

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates

Last edited by luigi524td; 01-17-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
Aren't the items you were told failed covered by the emission warranty?? http://www.carcarepeople.com/a/feder...y-how-it-works

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
+1. Isn't emission warranty is supposed to be out to like 70K miles/7 years?

If no joy from the emission warranty, then this certainly is the best argument for an extended warranty. Ten large is seven and change less than my extended warranty cost.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92
I don't usually bad mouth manufactures but what is BMW thinking here?

Are they trying to lose customers cause call me crazy no matter how this pans out you'll prob never buy a bmw again and I wouldn't blame you.

10K for replacing diesel injectors? Are they made of gold?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller335 View Post
I don't usually bad mouth manufactures but what is BMW thinking here?

Are they trying to lose customers cause call me crazy no matter how this pans out you'll prob never buy a bmw again and I wouldn't blame you.

10K for replacing diesel injectors? Are they made of gold?
Kind of. The injector is way more sophisticated (multiple pulses per combustion cycle, higher injection pressure, and, and, and) than the gasser injectors.

Just one more reason to get an extended warranty if you plan on owning one of these cars after the factory warranty is over.