Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 82 315 Baur
Gas Tank Issues

I own a 315 Baur with dual gas tanks. However, I have perplexing issues:

- I can only fill one of the two tanks even though I have checked the hose connecting the two tanks; and
- I have to slowly fill the tank. Otherwise, it overflows. And
- occasionally, gas mysteriously backs up and spills out of the neck

I wonder if there is a vacuum problem.

Have been trying to solve this for a couple of years.

PeterCS
OAKVILLE, Ontario
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 83 320i (everyday)
OK I'm not sure what a 315 Baur is.. but if it a BMW E21 sounds like a vent line issue, the drivers side tank has to have a vent line going from the top of the tank over to the filler neck or air will be trapped in the upper part of the tank keeping it from filling.. The vent line I know of can be seen in the trunk first thing I'd do is snake a piece of stiff wire (cloths hanger) down that hose to make sure it's clear... after that I'll bet you there's a vent line going between the top of the two tanks likely above the lower hose.. Good Luck
Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 AM
ZHP Caporegime

Mein Auto: ist Imolarot
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki1120 View Post
OK I'm not sure what a 315 Baur is.. but if it a BMW E21 sounds like a vent line issue, the drivers side tank has to have a vent line going from the top of the tank over to the filler neck or air will be trapped in the upper part of the tank keeping it from filling.. The vent line I know of can be seen in the trunk first thing I'd do is snake a piece of stiff wire (cloths hanger) down that hose to make sure it's clear... after that I'll bet you there's a vent line going between the top of the two tanks likely above the lower hose.. Good Luck
^This actually sounds like a good possibility for the issue/way to solve it.

Loki, an E21 315 was the most base model available in the range. It had a 75hp 1.6L carb'd engine. A 'Baur' refers to the coach builder Karosserie Baur GmbH who produced what you could call a targa top convertible.

This is a Baur E21

---

OP,
You should contact Tom, he loves to know where all the Baur's are. http://baurspotting.blogspot.com

2005 330Ci (ZHP) = Daily Driver 1969 2002 = Project Car
BMW Car Club of America # 427612