Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-18-2014, 11:46 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
2006 E90 powerfolding mirror issue: reset didn't work.

Hi all,
I recently ran into the issue where the driver's side mirror folds all the way forward upon unlocking the car or unfolding the mirrors. At first I thought someone may have bumped into my mirror and it was just "lost". I looked up how to do the reset, and tried that a few times but there was no joy. The threads on E90 post were less than useful, with most people saying to just "cut the power wire" to the mirror motor.

I'm now beginning to think that the stop inside the mirror body is probably broken and that's why the mirror doesn't stop where it should. I guess now my only other option is to order whichever part i need to replace and go at it one of these days. This is where I'm lost now, I have no clue what I'm looking for or where to order it. I'd really like to not pay the dealer to fix it because it'll be 80 bucks for the part and 200 for labor or something absurd, and something that I am more than capable of repairing myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328xi wagon
Same issue with my 2007 328xiT. Only on passengers side. Goes all the way forward. If put it all the way folded in manually, then start the car and it returns to its correct position. If I use the switch to fold the mirrors in again upon folding out the passenger side goes all the way forward again. So I just stopped using the feature.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spastook View Post
Same issue with my 2007 328xiT. Only on passengers side. Goes all the way forward. If put it all the way folded in manually, then start the car and it returns to its correct position. If I use the switch to fold the mirrors in again upon folding out the passenger side goes all the way forward again. So I just stopped using the feature.
My problem is that, but also, it does it automatically whenever i open the door, when it does the "position check" i tried to slide the selector over to see if that would at least prevent it from moving, but it doesn't.

When i reset mine it "pops" in at the folded position but fails to stop at the normal driving position each time. So i'm guessing something is broken and not in need of resetting. it's rather embarassing to have to catch the mirror every time i get in the car

Quote:
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
I'm now beginning to think that the stop inside the mirror body is probably broken and that's why the mirror doesn't stop where it should. I guess now my only other option is to order whichever part i need to replace and go at it one of these days. This is where I'm lost now, I have no clue what I'm looking for or where to order it. I'd really like to not pay the dealer to fix it because it'll be 80 bucks for the part and 200 for labor or something absurd, and something that I am more than capable of repairing myself.

You are right. This happened on my mother's 325i as well; the mirror would fold too far out when unfolding and sometimes keep trying to fold in even after it was supposed to stop. The plastic stop inside the mechanism was broken. Luckily this was covered under CPO warranty......they replaced the entire mirror mechanism. Not cheap at all if paying on your own.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
You can find part diagrams and part numbers on realoem.com

Take the part number and enter it into the search of a parts site. I like to use ecstuning.com but sometimes, their shipping kills the deal.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 01-19-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
You are right. This happened on my mother's 325i as well; the mirror would fold too far out when unfolding and sometimes keep trying to fold in even after it was supposed to stop. The plastic stop inside the mechanism was broken. Luckily this was covered under CPO warranty......they replaced the entire mirror mechanism. Not cheap at all if paying on your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
You can find part diagrams and part numbers on realoem.com

Take the part number and enter it into the search of a parts site. I like to use ecstuning.com but sometimes, their shipping kills the deal.
alright, i'll go and scour ECS for the part and figure out how it's done. I typically DIY all my stuff because I used to be a dealership tech, but now that i've switched careers and don't have an indoor garage I usually just take the "nice" car to the dealer and save the DIY stuff for my E36. If it's going to cost a monumental amount of money though for something that small I'm just going to suck it up and spend an hour or so in the cold.

Quote:

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 Z-3 '06 325ixT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
Hi all,
I recently ran into the issue where the driver's side mirror folds all the way forward upon unlocking the car or unfolding the mirrors. At first I thought someone may have bumped into my mirror and it was just "lost". I looked up how to do the reset, and tried that a few times but there was no joy. The threads on E90 post were less than useful, with most people saying to just "cut the power wire" to the mirror motor.

Try www.realoem.com or www.pelicanparts.com fdriller9 is correct, ecs tuning shipping can ruff up your wallet. I like their products and their delivery time is fast but $$$$. Google search will give you instructions.