Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-18-2014, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Pad and Rotor Suggestions

It's time to replace the pads and rotors on the 2007 335i.
I'm not a tuner but I'd like to get something a bit more performance oriented.
Obviously brake dust is always a pain, but it would be nice to increase my braking ability.
Does anyone have any brands they like or items they have had success with?
Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 01-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
At the shop I work at, we install Hawk HPS pads on many BMWs and Minis. All our customers have been happy with the performance.

I can't comment on the dust as I've never personally ran them on my car. I am however going to install a set once my brakes need to be changed.

As for rotors, any Brembo, Centric, Powerslot, etc are fine

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Akebono Euro Ceramic pads = zero dust

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
like wii said

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
At the shop I work at, we install Hawk HPS pads on many BMWs and Minis. All our customers have been happy with the performance.

I can't comment on the dust as I've never personally ran them on my car.
I use Hawk HPS for track weekends and in that application I quite like them. Performance and feel seemed pretty consistent on the track (at high temperatures) and on the street (ice cold), at least for a track novice. (More advanced track rats think they're not enough pad--who am I to argue?--but I'm not there yet.) They are considerably dustier than OE and the dust has a much higher iron content (read: they're a bit harder on rotors than OE). A heavy accumulation will rust quickly and may be a bear to clean off, but weekly cleaning should be fine unless dust just drives you mad.

On the street, in normal driving: I hate them. In case anyone missed that I'll repeat it: I hate them. Compared to OE pads, I found the Hawk HPS to have less initial bite, produce more dust and require slightly more pedal effort for equal braking in day-to-day, leisurely driving.

On the street I just didn't find them superior in any way to the OE pads, either before or after they'd been thrashed at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sterling View Post
I'm not a tuner but I'd like to get something a bit more performance oriented.
Obviously brake dust is always a pain, but it would be nice to increase my braking ability.
Why, exactly? Let me rephrase that: How, exactly?

The stock brakes are powerful enough to get you into full ABS braking, even with hot tires on dry pavement, even dead cold. Stopping distances with high-performance summer tires are equal or shorter than most sports cars. (If you really know how to brake, you will be forever more worried about the traffic behind your BMW than most anything in front of you.) They have more than enough fade resistance for any sane driving you'll do outside of a racetrack. Best of all, they have superb cold "bite"--meaning when some idiot cuts you off and you need all the braking you can muster, right now, they'll deliver. Many high performance pads will not, because their design favors high-temperature stability and fade resistance over maximum cold stopping power.

Shorter stopping distances? Longer pad/rotor life? Less dust? A firmer or softer pedal feel? A less "touchy" feel on initial braking--or more so? All of the same when hot vs. cold? Do you want more fade resistance? More stable braking on wet rotors? On and on.

BMW brakes are among the best in the business, right from the factory. Before making changes, have a clear idea of the characteristics you want to improve, and what trade-offs you are willing to make to achieve those goals. Then you can make smart choices.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 01-19-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
I would go with the latest pads from BMW. Seems they changed in '10 or '11, and now they have almost no dust, great initial bite, and good fade resistance.

They're not race pads, but they're the right tool for the job on the street.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
Akebono Euro Ceramic pads = zero dust
My life quality improved since I have been using them.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: Z3,X5d,750Li,E93,1200RT&C
What rotors do you use with ceramic pads? Carbon or steel?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
You can't afford carbon....

Steel is fine. If you tend to warp them, try cryo-treated.