Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 3rd gen Dodge Ram QuadCab
Exclamation 2006 BMW 330i e90 purchase?

Hey there guys,
New to this forum, bare with me.
Well to start off I'm sure I'll be writing a pretty long thread, practically
an unpublished novel.
So I'm familiar with BMWs, I'm definitely not an expert.
I've been recently looking to purchase a car, and one I've been looking at was a 06 330i. I've been doing some research on it, browsing around the interweb, forums and all. And been coming across that there's a couple specific problems, which are that the thermostat and pump go out fairly easy.
I'd like to know what you guys think, any feed on pros and cons and anything I should look out for. I live in CA and came across this 2006 330i 6spd manual Alpine white sedan, with black interior. Has around 107,9XXk. Priced for: 13,000. Interior leather and trim look great, the back seats look like they've never been sat on, passengers seat is in great condition and best is the drivers, looks like it was barely put in straight from the factory floor. Carpet looks like it's never been stepped on.
Exterior looks amazing, not the OM wheels, has aftermarket matte black wheels. Not sure the name of or style, but have a spiderweb/ mesh deal. Almost like the Viper our SRT Ram rims in a way, only these have a deeper lip. And I do believe they're aftermarket, correct ne if I'm wrong, could have been factory upgraded. Which for me, it's hard to find rims that for and look good for the car, but these look great on it. I can't tell if it's been lowered or stock due to the rims it kinda has a stance to it.
The car seems completely stock other then the rims, smoked backlights and dark tint all around. Oh and the 330i emblem seems to be missing in the back. From how the car is shown, it looks like someone in their 20s previously owned the car. Which I'm fine with but at the same time scared, some really love and care for their cars, while others well really don't show as much. And by te looks of it, they really cared. But I'm a bit nervous cause I'm not sure if it has any previous maintenance/ect history from the previous owber(s), so I can't tell from the pictures. I'd like to go check it out rn but it's about 3hrs away. But anywho once I go I'll definitely be asking for previous history, and do a thorough pre-purchase examination.
So would you guys recommend going for it, or?
If so what would be maintenance be like? Take it to the dealer, or are there DIYs y'all would recommend?
And any mods that can be done?
I'm a college a college student gonna be 20 and currently driving a 3rd gen Dodge Ram quadcab, which I love. But I'm commuting about 100mils from/to school, work, different schedules, errands, and all that.
So I'm lookingfor an efficient/economic car, that's still badass of course. I grew up with trucks and muscle cars and some Euros. I love all /cars/makes, Ford, Chevy,GMC, but I'm a Dodge guy. And I also wanted to add that I seen a same year Dodge Charger RT, same price w/102,XXX.
I know if I had to rebuilt tge engine, I'd have no problem doin it in the barn with a scrwdriver and a wrench (figure of speech) while on the 330i I feel like I'd need a surgical room with scrubs and a scalpel, I'd have no idea what I'd be doing, and be too scared to touch it.
Q is, should I go for the 330i or don't bother with headaches and pains and just go with the RT?
I really love the RT, and I'd go for it, but there's two things I dislike, the foot brake, I really wish they had a hand brake, I know they tried to stay old school, but still would prefer the hand brake. And 2, it's an auto, I know they had a kit for a conversion, but still can't fully have it cus of the burning of the clutch, and gear ratio issue. And I mean how much funner is a manual right? I've always liked the BMW scene, and I wanna try it out.
Sorry for the long obstruct headache of my post. I did it off my phone, had my laptop in the truck.
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Personal stories, info, anything.

Thank you guys!
Ads by Google
Old 01-20-2014, 01:38 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
I just spent a couple of months scouring for a 2006 - 2008 3 series.

The short version is you can get a 2007 328i for the same or a little more $ with way less miles.

Mostly I'd go for < 60k miles to minimize the inevitable maintenance issues.

Just my thoughts!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 01-20-2014, 01:52 PM

Hey Laser, thanks for your feedback.
Are there any significant amount of differences to these two vehicles?
I've seen a couple of 07 328i's got fairly the same price with WAY Less miles.
"Oh and to reply, do I reply to "Quick reply" or "Post reply"?
Old 01-20-2014, 02:05 PM

You can search up a lot on both but in 2007 the 325 was upgraded to 328 and the 330 went to the turbo 335i.

The 2006 330i and 2007 328i are actually pretty similar in power, both toward the last of the great 6 cyl NA engines. 3 series are all turbo now.

Each car has many different build options.

PPI and knowing the maintenance history is key.

Make friends with your local BMW dealer service adviser and they can show you the repair / maintenance history from a potential VIN.

You sound like a great DIY candidate and you will soon meet CAL ....... this board's great resource for all things to be done in your driveway!

Old 01-20-2014, 04:35 PM

Thanks for all your help, and input Laser
I'll definitely keep on doing some more research on the vehicles. And try to look at some ither local cars.

I'll be stopping by the auto mall tomorrow after class.

And thanks, hopefully soon I'll be doing some DIYs to the BMW I choose.
I'll definitely be on here more often, keeping my mind set on a BMW.
And hopefully be seeing you here more often as well.

Cheers!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM

Launch autotrader.com ..... Input your specs ...... See what comes up ....

Old 01-20-2014, 04:51 PM

Heard of autotraders.com, never tried it. Always used carsforsale.com it's okay. I'll definitely try autotrader.
Thanks for everything!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 Z-3 '06 325ixT
www.autotrader.com
www.cars.com
BMW web site
Craigslist if you dare....lots of junk
www.bmwcca.com

Get a PPI and make friends with the local indy
www.getbmwparts.com www.pelicanparts.com or www.ecstuning.com for parts

All things considered, you're buying the maintenance & service record. I'd rather buy a higher mileage car that has been over-maintained that a lower mileage one that's received minimal service.

Good luck
Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 PM

Hey Westech things for your info.
Haven't tried any websites other than Carsorsale.com and autotraders.com . Doesn't really show any near by, just others from different states.
And well CL is a hassle.

I'll definitely duo a PPI, take my brother-in-law and cousin as well since they're both certified mechanics.

I'll be looking into those parts websites once I get home.

And yy definitely have a point there. I'll have to agree on you with than lt.
I'll check everything I possibly can on the 330i.
I just happened to pass by a local car sales lot here where I live.
And the dealership barely got a 2006 3 series black coupe today cus everyday I pass by there and it hasn't been there.previously.
It looks real nice, but this guy has a bad rep for unreliable cars and bad prices
Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 PM

Haven't tried any websites other than Carsorsale.com and autotraders.com . Doesn't really show any near by, just others from different states.
And well CL is a hassle.

I'll definitely duo a PPI, take my brother-in-law and cousin as well since they're both certified mechanics.

And the dealership barely got a 2006 3 series black coupe today cus everyday I pass by there and it hasn't been there.previously.
It looks real nice, but this guy has a bad rep for unreliable cars and bad prices
Old 01-22-2014, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
2006 330i was only made for one year. It has an upgraded intake and produces 255 horsepower. It is kinda unique but a great car. I would take it over the 328 personally. I have one and a 335i also. They both are great cars but the 330i is more reliable. Check for the oil filter housing leak...easy DIY but $800 from BMW dealer. Check Valve Cover Gasket. Check for whistling around oil filler cap signaling a clogged evaporator. Oil pan gasket can leak which requires removal of the axle and raising the engine to repair unless you are clever enough to cut the gasket and fish it in to place. Normally oil filter housing leaking looks like all the other problems mentioned. Start by replacing that and cleaning engine. Overall it's a very good car.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390453536.538959.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	418473

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 PM

Hey Wjjjlj, thanks for your comment.
Yea I was reading, doing some research, and it wasmanufactured for one year, known as the "special" car, which it is, and it's known to be very reliable.
I'll definitely be looking for all those, thanks for the pointers.
Sounds like fairly easy DIYs, but I'll still check in here before doing anything.
Those are beautiful cars you have there.
The rims I was speaking of when I posted the post. Are exactly like the ones
You have on the silver BMW you have. After blowing up the photo I seen that they had the BMW logo in them. So they are factory rims. Couldn't really tell on my phone until I checked through my laptop. They're painted matte black, with some scuff marks, I'll be blasting them and leave them brushed afterwards.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefrawnkford View Post
And well CL is a hassle.

Sometimes you have to travel for the right car. Last March we bought a 325xi Touring. Car was in Cincinnati & we live in Florida. Bought the car over the phone based on the sellers reputation. Drove there, traded a 525i and drove home. Could not be more pleased with the deal but it was a big chance.

Seller was Enthusiast Auto Group www.enthusiastauto.com His stuff isn't cheap but it's the best. He specializes in M cars but occasionally has other BMWs.

Every time I see a desirable BMW on a shady used car lot I wonder how it got there. I'd get the VIN and have it checked for maintenance........a reasonable dealer or independent shop will do it for you. Don't be in a hurry. Try cars.com and the BMW official web site. I don't know where in Cal you live but the Golden State is the epicenter for every BMW that ever lived. If it exists, it's in Cal. You should have your pick of the litter. Just don't buy a SULEV.
Good Luck

Last edited by Westech; 01-23-2014 at 02:00 AM. Reason: addition to message
Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Hey Wjjjlj, thanks for your comment.
Yea I was reading, doing some research, and it wasmanufactured for one year, known as the "special" car, which it is, and it's known to be very reliable.
I'll definitely be looking for all those, thanks for the pointers.
Sounds like fairly easy DIYs, but I'll still check in here before doing anything.
Those are beautiful cars you have there.
The rims I was speaking of when I posted the post. Are exactly like the ones
You have on the silver BMW you have. After blowing up the photo I seen that they had the BMW logo in them. So they are factory rims. Couldn't really tell on my phone until I checked through my laptop. They're painted matte black, with some scuff marks, I'll be blasting them and leave them brushed afterwards.
Those wheels are actually CSL replicas. Only paid about $575 and the factory center caps fit. Nice wheels for the money and have held up well. Just sell yours and buy new. Ebay....

Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330i
FWIW, I bought a 2006 330i last may with 64k miles for $15k in Chicago from a private seller. The guy had immaculate maintenance records, which was a major deciding factor for me. As it was a city car, there's quite a few chips and some dingers in both bumpers, but as it's my daily driver I don't mind.

The car has an awesome ride and is pretty flippin fast when you get up in gears!

I'd say pull the trigger on a 330 if you can deal with it. So far I've had no issues (until today...my passenger side front speaker(s?) just up and stopped working...) and finding info on these vehicles is pretty easy. As many of the above posters have mentioned, try to find a good indy mechanic because any of the big box mechanics and the dealerships will absolutely rail you with maintenance fees!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
The car seems completely stock other then the rims, smoked backlights and dark tint all around. Oh and the 330i emblem seems to be missing in the back. From how the car is shown, it looks like someone in their 20s previously owned the car. Which I'm fine with but at the same time scared, some really love and care for their cars, while others well really don't show as much. And by te looks of it, they really cared. But I'm a bit nervous cause I'm not sure if it has any previous maintenance/ect history from the previous owber(s), so I can't tell from the pictures. I'd like to go check it out rn but it's about 3hrs away. But anywho once I go I'll definitely be asking for previous history, and do a thorough pre-purchase examination.
So would you guys recommend going for it, or?
These are two warning signs to me. Someone in their 20's might not have sufficient money to properly maintain the car. The fact the BMW emblem is missing indicates this may be the case.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 PM

Hey Westech:

You're definitely right, I wouldn't mind driving for the right car, even if it's out of state.
And like you said it is a risk, but with the right play, you can hit the jackpot.

Okay I'll definitely check his website out. There's a guy ib San Diego, has great cars, BMWs, Audi,Benz, Ferrari, Lambs
All those with low low miles and great prices for them. I'd go but hasn't had any manual beamers. And it's 3 hrs away.

Oh yea, not to judge the guy or anything, but having a bad rep then finding a car like that
I mean I think we'd have the right to be curious how it got there.

I hope you're enjoying your 325xi!
Old 01-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Hey Wjjklj:

Oh really? I didn't know that, then I'm sure he'll have the same replicas on the 330i.
That find for that price, I think in my opinion that's a great steal.
Are they light?
Think I might just do that, or possibly have them for a track set
Old 01-25-2014, 05:42 PM

Hey Tsantsa, thanks for your comment.

I'm not familiar with that acronym "FWIW"?
But that was a great deal you got there for that price & miles. Not to mention all those maintenance records from a private seller.
Chips aren't that bad, would you consider plasti dip/wrapping your bumper for extra protection?

I heard the ride dude Ob the 330i is amazing, they pick up quick? The more I hear the more I fall in love for the car.

Yea I'm definitely gonna go for it, I'm gonna go take a trip and take a look at it on Monday, if
Everything's good, I'm taking her home.
I'll be looking for Assn Indy mechanic around here. I pulled out my Ram and put her back together myself, working like a champ.
And my Dad and I are working in a project rn too. So I'll definitely try to do all the DIYs I can myself our with a mechanic, cus those dealership fees aren't pretty.

How's your speaker problem going? Found out the problem?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:50 PM

Hey Sunny5280:
Thanks for your comment.
You're right, And definitely big warning lights to me too.
Not sure of the exact condition of it until Monday when I go take a look at it do a
PPI.
If it's not looking good, I'll might have to pass. If it's good I'll definitely be taking her with me
Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330i
Quote:
Hey Tsantsa, thanks for your comment.

I'm not familiar with that acronym "FWIW"?
But that was a great deal you got there for that price & miles. Not to mention all those maintenance records from a private seller.
Chips aren't that bad, would you consider plasti dip/wrapping your bumper for extra protection?

I heard the ride dude Ob the 330i is amazing, they pick up quick? The more I hear the more I fall in love for the car.

Yea I'm definitely gonna go for it, I'm gonna go take a trip and take a look at it on Monday, if
Everything's good, I'm taking her home.
I'll be looking for Assn Indy mechanic around here. I pulled out my Ram and put her back together myself, working like a champ.
And my Dad and I are working in a project rn too. So I'll definitely try to do all the DIYs I can myself our with a mechanic, cus those dealership fees aren't pretty.

How's your speaker problem going? Found out the problem?
FWIW = for what it's worth

My wife has on 05 e46. I have to say her car takes off quicker from stop, but once mine gets moving, there's no comparison. I haven't figured out the speaker problem and put a thread in the audio forum (probably amp...gah).

I bought it with 64k and the owner replaced: Valve cover gasket, battery, actuator gasket and some sort of electrical gasket (I'm looking at the records and that's what it says). He also changed the water pump and the thermostat. From what I understand the water pump and the valve cover gasket are known major maintenance issues. He also had the brake fluid flushed twice during his ownership (stewarship??) and kept the records from the dealership when he bought it as a CPO.

When you go to look at the car (or any of them, for that matter) check for those kinds of records. If they don't have them and the price doesn't reflect what you'll have to put into it immediately, just walk. Negotiate some of the repairs if you'd like, but in my experience they aren't going to to them.

Also, do yourself a favor and look at vids and pics on here and youtube on what to actually look for when looking. These cars are a quite a bit different from Chrysler!

Good luck bro.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Hey Westech:

You're definitely right, I wouldn't mind driving for the right car, even if it's out of state.
And like you said it is a risk, but with the right play, you can hit the jackpot.

Okay I'll definitely check his website out. There's a guy ib San Diego, has great cars, BMWs, Audi,Benz, Ferrari, Lambs
All those with low low miles and great prices for them. I'd go but hasn't had any manual beamers. And it's 3 hrs away.

Oh yea, not to judge the guy or anything, but having a bad rep then finding a car like that
I mean I think we'd have the right to be curious how it got there.

I hope you're enjoying your 325xi!
Try www.autotrader.com You can set various search criterion (Example: 2006-2012 BMW 330i, manual) and it will notify you when a car meeting those exact specs comes up for sale. Even allows you to set car color and distance from your zip code parameters. Autotrader even allows you to set 10 separate searches for 10 different cars.
Nicew tool.

Problem out here is finding any BMW that isn't black, white or some shade of silver.

Occasionally you find a car lot "orphan" through Autotrader. I once found a 2003 525i on a Ford truck lot specializing in pick-up and utility trucks in the center of Florida's orange groves. The dealership didn't really want the car and were willing to bargain. Paid wholesale for it, drove it 20,000 miles then got more on trade than I paid for the puppy.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 bmw 328i
2006 BMW e90 purchase

I was an owner of 330 I trade in for a ford taurus honestly regret it. That was the best bmw made. I now own a 09 328i both cars ar excellent just 20hp difference. If you choose the 06 330 get the premium pkg. good luck
Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Hey Wjjklj:

Oh really? I didn't know that, then I'm sure he'll have the same replicas on the 330i.
That find for that price, I think in my opinion that's a great steal.
Are they light?
Think I might just do that, or possibly have them for a track set
Not sure on the weight but they were lighter than the style 162's I replaced. Can't go wrong for the price.