Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: -
Extended Warranty help

Option A covers up to $10,000 and option B covers anything. Is option B worth twice option A ?:thumb up:

Went for option A as repairs rarely exceed 5,000 let alone 10,000

Last edited by 4800cc; 01-25-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: -
(This is for a 2008 650i )
Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Sounds like we need to solve for X, Y, and Z.
X is the cost of either option A or B and you did not disclose it.
Y is what is covered and not covered in the contract (the fine print)
Z is what is likely to go wrong with your car

You know X so really it would have been nice to disclose that.
You also know Y. Do either options cover everything (they never ever do). You also know although you may have to dig a little but regardless you want to know what is excluded.
Z is impossible to tell, although knowing time, miles, and maintenance (prior and planned) would help.

This math problem is impossible to solve given lack of info.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4800cc View Post
Option A covers up to $10,000 and option B covers anything. Is option B worth twice option A ?
First of all, what company are you purchasing the warranty from? What are the prices of the policies?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
i have auto pom check them. worth every penny for me, more info would be nice btw
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksquad View Post
i have auto pom check them. worth every penny for me, more info would be nice btw
+1 I have them and so far they have been very good to deal with.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksquad View Post
I have Auto POM as well. So far so good, but I haven't had to use them yet.

Freedom Isn't Free
Old 01-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Coupe 6MT
AutoPOM here too, they are pretty good. So far they covered almost $10,000 in repairs in one year.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by euhysh View Post
AutoPOM here too, they are pretty good. So far they covered almost $10,000 in repairs in one year.

Hey Euhysi:

What policy did you get from Autopom, Gold, Platimum? And could you give us an idea what type of repairs did they cover for you? Several repairs that added up to 10K, or one big one?
Just trying to get an idea which one I need. If I don't get a good policy that pays off most claims, I will probably have to sell my 2005 645ci. 64K miles. I love this car & have only 15 months more to pay it off. I would like to keep it but I have come to realize that if I face 7K, 8K dollar repair bills, the car will have to be sold. Please advise. I will call them tomorrow but would like some advise. Did you have to have an inspection? Mine will pass fine for now, I am just waiting for future nightmares.

Maybellineo

Last edited by maybellineo; 01-22-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEBosworth View Post
I have Auto POM as well. So far so good, but I haven't had to use them yet.
Wow! When did you get your car? Just recently? Did you have an extended warranty with the dealer & then bought this policy?

Maybellineo

Last edited by maybellineo; 01-22-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybellineo View Post
Hey Euhysi:

What policy did you get from Autopom, Gold, Platimum? And could you give us an idea what type of repairs did they cover for you? Several repairs that added up to 10K, or one big one?
Just trying to get an idea which one I need. If I don't get a good policy that pays off most claims, I will probably have to sell my 2005 645ci. 64K miles. I love this car & have only 15 months more to pay it off. I would like to keep it but I have come to realize that if I face 7K, 8K dollar repair bills, the car will have to be sold. Please advise. I will call them tomorrow but would like some advise. Did you have to have an inspection? Mine will pass fine for now, I am just waiting for future nightmares.

Maybellineo
I only qualify for the gold policy. So it looks like the policies are the same except they don't cover:

The major difference between the two levels would be the sensors and switches along with the CPU's (central processing units or computer chips-they provide diagnostic codes). Here are the components covered on Platinum but not on Gold: cooling fan sensor and cooling fan relay, coolant level sensor, oil pressure switch, oil level sensor, oil sending unit, engine oil life monitoring system, oil cooler, intake intercooler, engine oil reservoir, transmission vacuum switches (excluding for emission components), low fuel sensor, roll-over fuel shut off valve, full wiring harness, speed sensitive steering controls and sensors, shift interlock solenoid, wiper motor control module, thermometer, defrost timer/relay, headlight timer, automatic headlamp sensor and controller, electric heater door motors, blower motor speed control resistor, air conditioner condenser fan/motor, air conditioner cleaner assembly (excluding filters),door tracks slides/guides, sunroof slides/guides, cup holders, console mechanical items, keyless entry number pad, and factory installed garage door transmitter.

So, since these cars have so many sensors & they won't cover this for me, is this policy worth it for the major ones like transmissions, etc. What type of repairs were the 10,000 repairs bills for you

Maybelline
Old 01-27-2014, 03:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 650I
I have the Autopom Extended Warranty, I haven't used it yet. If you do a search In the 6 series forum on bimmerfest about warranties there's a bunch information on your warranty question. Read my post from this link http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...175&highlight= on my warranty shopping experience and a copy of Autopom contract.

My quote from Autopom was 84 months, 100,000 miles bumper to bumper platinum with the electronic package, 0 deductible for $2,468. They also offered 0% financing for 18 months with 10% down payment.

Marc

Old 01-27-2014, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by msa9167 View Post
I have the Autopom Extended Warranty, I haven't used it yet. If you do a search In the 6 series forum on bimmerfest about warranties there's a bunch information on your warranty question. Read my post from this link http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...175&highlight= on my warranty shopping experience and a copy of Autopom contract.

My quote from Autopom was 84 months, 100,000 miles bumper to bumper platinum with the electronic package, 0 deductible for $2,468. They also offered 0% financing for 18 months with 10% down payment.

Marc

+1

I went with them. Some small claims (under $1k) and smooth processing so far.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Convertible
Quote:

Marc

I believe the amount you pay is highly dependant on whether or not the car is still under warrranty when you get the quote. I got mine right as my factory warranty was running out and got a very similar quote. If I had waited until after the warranty was out, it would have gone up considerably.

Freedom Isn't Free
Old 01-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:
I believe the amount you pay is highly dependant on whether or not the car is still under warrranty when you get the quote. I got mine right as my factory warranty was running out and got a very similar quote. If I had waited until after the warranty was out, it would have gone up considerably.
You got that right!

I paid $3.3k for the platinum quote(includes special electronics package) from AutoPOM when my CPO warranty was almost up. I have coverage for 4 years or up until 106k miles.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
You got that right!

I paid $3.3k for the platinum quote(includes special electronics package) from AutoPOM when my CPO warranty was almost up. I have coverage for 4 years or up until 106k miles.

I was told you can't have over 60K. for the Platinum package unless you get the 24,000 mile Platinum with the electric extras. One question I have is if I get the Gold for 48K miles or 4 years, what if close to the end of the policy, I have a 2005, I get a huge repair bill that is more than the car is worth at that point. How do they determine what is is worth? Retail, or wholesale? It seems you never get retail no matter what.

Maybellineo
Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:
I was told you can't have over 60K. for the Platinum package unless you get the 24,000 mile Platinum with the electric extras. One question I have is if I get the Gold for 48K miles or 4 years, what if close to the end of the policy, I have a 2005, I get a huge repair bill that is more than the car is worth at that point. How do they determine what is is worth? Retail, or wholesale? It seems you never get retail no matter what.

Maybellineo
I purchased my warranty around 58k miles. I guess that if your car is older with a higher mileage, the cost for the policies increase.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
I only qualify for the gold policy. So it looks like the policies are the same except they don't cover:

So, since these cars have so many sensors & they won't cover this for me, is this policy worth it for the major ones like transmissions, etc. What type of repairs were the 10,000 repairs bills for you

Maybelline
I got a quote today from Autopom, they also told me I only qualified for the Gold. However, they were leading with a 4 year contract, once I told them I only wanted a 2 year they informed me that this would qualify me for the Platinum coverage.

Perhaps you should ask them for a 2 year if you want Platinum. I may very well go with this, after all it can't hurt, even if I don't keep my car for the next two years I simply cancel and after the 30 day notice would receive a prorated refund minus somewhere around 10%. So I would get something back, even if there were claims. it is a typical convoluted refund policy but easy to discern net effect.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Yea your right on that. I got mine with 2 days left before my factory warranty expired. Also the miles on your car play a big role. I only had 6,000 miles on my 2009 650i and if I remember, I tried the quote with 15,000 miles and the price went up about $650 to $850 more.

Marc

Old 01-28-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
I got a quote today from Autopom, they also told me I only qualified for the Gold. However, they were leading with a 4 year contract, once I told them I only wanted a 2 year they informed me that this would qualify me for the Platinum coverage.

Perhaps you should ask them for a 2 year if you want Platinum. I may very well go with this, after all it can't hurt, even if I don't keep my car for the next two years I simply cancel and after the 30 day notice would receive a prorated refund minus somewhere around 10%. So I would get something back, even if there were claims. it is a typical convoluted refund policy but easy to discern net effect.
Did they tell you why your BMW can't be covered on the platinum for 4 years? What about 3 years? Buying an extended warranty is a lot like buying a car. You can try to say something like you don't want to shop around and see if you can get into the platinum if you buy today. That may or may not work, but it's worth a try.

Here's a link to Autopom's instant quote if anyone wants to check prices.

http://mechanical-breakdown-protecti...et/RC1/public/

Marc

Last edited by msa9167; 01-28-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Did they tell you why your BMW can't be covered on the platinum for 4 years? What about 3 years? Buying an extended warranty is a lot like buying a car. You can try to say something like you don't want to shop around and see if you can get into the platinum if you buy today. That may or may not work, but it's worth a try.

Here's a link to Autopom's instant quote if anyone wants to check prices.

http://mechanical-breakdown-protecti...et/RC1/public/

Marc
I didn't ask since I didn't want 3 years. They immediately lead with the 4 year plan, but I know that I will not have this car that long. So I asked for a 2 year cost and even a 1 if they had it.