Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645ci convertible 2004
New error codes

Well i finally got my DIS software works great,now i have theses errors

2737 ews3.3 anti tampering
dme engine electronics me 922
afs motor position angle not initialized

Any Help Please

btw the car turns over strong it just feels like its not getting any gas
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2014, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Here is some help I could find. It sounds complicated as for the fix. It sounds like a few modules will have to be reconnected, thus major damage if done wrong!

There could be few reasons for this fault. The most likely cause is the loss alignment between the DME (engine management) and the EWS control unit.

This would be the first place I would start by carrying out an EWS/DME alignment. I'm not sure which scanner tool you're using or even if it will be possible to carry this out on the tool you have but it's certainly possible on a BMW GT1 or DIS if you can get access to one.
If this does not rectify the problem start by troubleshooting the power supply to the EWS control unit eg fuse, power and earth to ecu.

But, taking a step back, the fault code in the majority of cases refers to a problem with the signal from the EWS (immobilization system) to the DME (engine management). Upon engine start the EWS will read a code from the key and then send an authorization code to the DME to enable engine start.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:09 PM

Digital Motor Electronics (DME).

The comprehensive management system for your engine: Digital Motor Electronics (DME) controls all key aspects of the engine's operation, ensuring optimum reliability, maximum performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions.

By managing key engine functions, Digital Motor Electronics (DME) guarantees optimum reliability, maximum performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions. Its sensors continually all factors affecting the operation of the engine. The data is then evaluated by a microprocessor and translated into commands for the fuel injection and ignition systems.
The DME system receives up to 1,000 separate items of data input per second, including engine speed, air intake volume, air temperature and density, coolant temperature, throttle position, accelerator position and vehicle speed.
DME verifies all incoming data by comparing it with the reaction of the rest of the system. If a defective sensor delivers unrealistic data, DME replaces this with preset standard values. If a spark plug fails, DME immediately cuts fuel flow to this cylinder in order to prevent engine damage.
DME looks after the electrical power system too, with sensors measuring the charge and condition of the battery as well as current electrical power consumption. By maintaining optimum battery charge levels and thus avoiding flat batteries, it prevents damage to the battery and guarantees maximum battery life, thereby helping to ensure the engine always starts readily.
BMW introduced the world's first Digital Motor Electronics system in the BMW 732i in 1979.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 PM

In INPA ---
- Make sure your car is parked with your wheels perfectly straight
- Clear all errors in memory related to both SZL and AFS modules
- Calibrate SZL (invalidate, and then initialize SZL -- make sure your steering wheel is perfectly straight!)
- Initialize AFS (invalidate, and then reinitialize motorposition)
- Drive around for a bit until everything clears up
- Clear all errors in memory for SZL/AFS again (might have some errors saying that SZL angle measurement isn't matching AFS)
- Double-check SZL calibration (invalidate, and then initialize SZL -- make sure your steering wheel is perfectly straight!)
- Initialize AFS (invalidate, and then reinitalize motorposition)
- Drive around for a bit
- Clear all errors in memory for SZL/AFS again
- Drive around for another bit
- Read SZL/AFS looking for any errors. -- At this point everything seemed to be meshing
Old 01-24-2014, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the info i have dis gt1 inpa and sss all came with the kit i will try what you said i post results thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
In INPA ---
- Clear all errors in memory related to both SZL and AFS modules
- Calibrate SZL (invalidate, and then initialize SZL -- make sure your steering wheel is perfectly straight!)
- Initialize AFS (invalidate, and then reinitialize motorposition)
- Drive around for a bit until everything clears up
- Clear all errors in memory for SZL/AFS again (might have some errors saying that SZL angle measurement isn't matching AFS)
- Double-check SZL calibration (invalidate, and then initialize SZL -- make sure your steering wheel is perfectly straight!)
- Initialize AFS (invalidate, and then reinitalize motorposition)
- Drive around for a bit
- Clear all errors in memory for SZL/AFS again
- Drive around for another bit
- Read SZL/AFS looking for any errors. -- At this point everything seemed to be meshing
Well i'm kinda stuck there car in garage for winter i might just take it to a mechanic in the spring i found a garage that works on bimmers close buy
thanks for the input
Old 01-24-2014, 06:22 PM

My last question will be, did you get any water damage to the trunk area. Water could have damaged a module, causing all of the problems. I will glad to hook up to my car tomorrow, & play around with DIS, to help you to the correct place. I feel more comfortable with DIS, do to the path it provides. Make sure to check all fuses to make sure it is not a fuse causing all of the problems. This will be an interesting fix. PM me if you do not know where to find the WDS drawings. Troubleshoot each module that has a "!" mark on the quicktest. This can be done at the top of the 2nd page after the quick test.

Good Luck!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 PM

that would be great thanks,no water damage car is clean no signs of water,btw is the a fuel filter besides the one in the gas tank??

Last edited by sentrex; 01-24-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 PM

all this started since i had the car jacked up and the car was on fumes,that was when i found the loose positive boosting terminal terminal under the hood i filled it to almost half full,unless its just a coincidence
i will wait for your info on the dis
Thanks
Old 01-25-2014, 12:44 AM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Does DIS say that the errors are "Fault currently present" or not present? Did you try to delete them & the re-appeared?
Just remember these cars store errors until they are cleared, even if the problem no longer exists.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:08 AM

i cleared them all,and when i go back they still re appear,i will spend more time today i just got the dis software yesterday,its kinda neat that you can test module like i tested the fuel pump and i could hear it running
i will try to test the eroors again,i will post back results
Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentrex View Post
all this started since i had the car jacked up and the car was on fumes,that was when i found the loose positive boosting terminal terminal under the hood i filled it to almost half full,unless its just a coincidence
i will wait for your info on the dis
Thanks
Thought about this a lot last night? You said that you jacked the car up? This could have put the car in protect mode from theft. I would go to the 2nd screen in DIS, got to the bottom, & click on the fault. This will put you in the test mode. Run the test plan for each fault to the end. Either take pics of the screen, or copy the screens for reference.

When you run the quick test, you can run the module with a fault from that screen also. Just click on the module, & run the test plan.

In the 1st post, you said that you had a problem with the positive lead under the hood. Di you by chance remove the positive lead on the battery? There is a link in that cable that will break if it is pulled on when removing. Use a VOM & test the voltage at the battery & under the hood to make sure that the circuit is not broken. Let us know the voltage at each end. I would also measure the ground wire to the body at the battery, & the ground connection at the wheel well. You could measure from there to a spot on the motor to make sure that the resistance is less than 1 ohm.

Give me an update after checking these items.

Good Luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIS BMW Diagnosis Guide.pdf (640.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 AM

After reviewing the schematics, I suspect that the DME & EWS must be re calibrated. I would test the EWS module 1st, to see if it has been disabled from jacking the car up. I jack mine all of the time, & had never had a problem. If the jack went down very fast, this could have disabled the EWS. The IVM, CAS, DME modules are all tied together. They must be calibrated, to be linked. I am starting to hope that the loose positive cable did not accidentally ground out, damaging the DME module. The directions below are written by BMW, so I have never done this. I would be very careful doing the test, & make sure everything looks good.

Car access system (CAS)

Functional description, see BMW Technology:

TIS --> Document --> SI Technology --> SBT Number 61 03 03 019
Service functions

Replacing control modules

The following points must be borne in mind when the CAS or the engine control module are replaced:
If a CAS control module is replaced, it must be ordered using the vehicle identification number (VIN). Following installation, that starting value must be matched to the engine control module. This starting value match is performed using the service function ”DME/DDE - CAS calibration” in the BMW diagnosis system.
If the engine control module is replaced, the drive-enable code must be transferred from the CAS to the engine control module following installation. This operation is also performed using the service function ”DME/DDE - CAS calibration” in the BMW diagnosis system.
After the calibration of the EWS and engine control module, these are mutually linked. It is not possible to replace one of the two control modules as a test.

DME/DDE - CAS calibration

In the case of a new engine control module, the service function ”DME/DDE - CAS calibration” in the BMW diagnosis system is used to read the EWS drive-enable code from the CAS and transfer it into the engine control module. This means that the engine control module and the CAS control module are mutually linked.

If the engine control module is already linked to the CAS, the service function is used to perform a starting value match. This means that the random code calculation between the CAS and the engine control module is calibrated.

A start match is required if there is a variance in the random codes caused by the influence of faults in the two control modules.

As of EWS4, a start calibration is no longer required.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:11 AM

DME main relay

The relay is driven by the DME control module.

Function of main relay:

Voltage supply to all components in the engine electrical/electronic system

Perceivable effects: - Engine does not run
Diagnosis instruction

Fault codes can be entered in any combination in the fault memory of the engine control module if the system voltage was too low due to battery discharge or due to failure or contact fault of the DME main relay.

If fault code 27C4 main relay is stored in the DME, all fault code entries listed below that were stored at the same km reading (mileage) are to be ignored and deleted. The DME control module should on no account be replaced.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:43 AM

re did dis test,i have DME motor electronics fault,and can/byteflight,when testing these i get a pop up (diagnosis Bus Error)error # 200.100
13.5VDC at Battery and 13.1VDC at front posts,from neg to ground at battery 0 ohm's,and at terminal to frame 0Ohm's
???
Old 01-25-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
re did dis test,i have DME motor electronics fault,and can/byteflight,when testing these i get a pop up (diagnosis Bus Error)error # 200.100
13.5VDC at Battery and 13.1VDC at front posts,from neg to ground at battery 0 ohm's,and at terminal to frame 0Ohm's
???
It sounds like your DIS is not connected properly? Wasn't that the same error you were getting before? I would try & reboot the computer, then load the IFServer & Diaghead. The voltage & ohms look good. Make sure your firewall is shutdown, & reboot the computer.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:14 PM

this is where i'm at now,what next
Old 01-25-2014, 03:15 PM

The DME & EWS will have to be realigned & calibrated. It is possible that since the CAS is tied to both modules, that the antenna to the key is not working? Are you getting any faults for the CAS?

Have you checked all of the fuses in the fuse box under the air vent on the passenger side, to make sure one has not blown. I think the IVM would have been located there. If there is no power to the DME relay, the connection to the DME will not be made.

Last edited by HerbP; 01-25-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:22 PM

no faults to cas all fuses are good,i tried opening wds on 2 machines and i can't get them to work,now i'm stumped
Old 01-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Quote:
no faults to cas all fuses are good,i tried opening wds on 2 machines and i can't get them to work,now i'm stumped
WDS needs a Java version earlier than 7 & it also needs to run on IE. What version of Java are you running?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:27 PM

Check the fuses here on the DME

Last edited by HerbP; 01-25-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:38 PM

are these in the golve box or somewhere in engine bay??
Old 01-25-2014, 03:42 PM

They should be located in the engine bay under the cowl panel on the passenger side.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:48 PM

OMG WTF!!!! i just tested all the fuses in the trunk they all were good get in the car and bang she started right away.
Maybe resetting everything did something but i am so freakin happy,thanks for the great help guys
Old 01-25-2014, 03:54 PM

Well, that sounds like a win situation. I just hope it stays that way! Glad it is working for now, but who knows what might happen?