Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-24-2014, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93
BMW E9x - NBT retrofit

NBT navigation retrofit in all BMW E9x is ready.
Integration is quite easy and requires basic coding skills with esys.
All car functions are fully functional in NBT, including CBS data, Check Control Messages.
There are no limitations in functionality except for E Series cars with HUD where navigation info can not displayed on HUD.
Also, touch controller is fully functional.
I will post later a full DYI but here are some pictures during installs in E71 and E60.

Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2014, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Very nice - is there any special coding required for the touch controller or is it plug and play with existing NBT systems?

Rob
Old 01-25-2014, 06:06 AM

there is no "special" coding required. Touch functions must be enabled in NBT coding and you must use the touch controller and touch ECU. Its quite easy.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 PM

Here are some pictures from E93 install.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
Nice!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 PM

Fitted today the touch controller and connected the rear view camera.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Luxury Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_andersson View Post
Fitted today the touch controller and connected the rear view camera.

Would you be able to tell me how you connected the touch controller? I have a F30 with a retrofitted NBT but I need to reroute the wires for the CIC controller to the NBT to get it work on K-CAN2.

Which pins on the main connector does the touch controller go into?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:28 AM

Goes on CAN pins (9 and 11).

Here are some more pictures from E93 install with ipod plugin activated and video playback from ipod/iphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	421662   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	421663   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	421664  
Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Luxury Line
Quote:
Goes on CAN pins (9 and 11).

Here are some more pictures from E93 install with ipod plugin activated and video playback from ipod/iphone.
Thanks, so once I installed the touch controller, it will show up as ZBE3 on my SVT? Also, did you also connect the TBX to the same two pins via a pins 9 and 11 on the NBT?

Does the iPod video work if you just plug a regular HSD cable into the curry slot on the NBT? I remember I plugged my HSD from the armrest into the curry slot and it showed up as the snap in adapter. Do I need a snap in adapter for the apple plug in/video to work?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:50 AM

Mein Auto: E93 30d
I allready asked the question in another forum, but it was removed: how can I modify the display from a f30 to fit in the e9X? Is it possible to fit just the monitor without f30 housing to the old e9x housing? Are they about the same size? How have you solved this problem?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:26 AM

Yes the admin in the other forum gets paid by a canadian company to remove any refference to succesful retrofits of nbt in e series. They are still waiting for the respective company to come up with a solution to nbt retrofit even though they are struggling for a year now.

Anyway, the bmw enthuasistic comunity and the members on the other forum are the only one who will get a loss out of this.

Now to answer your question about the monitor:
- remove the back housing of the F30 monitor
- cut the lower 2 hinges which are use for fixing the monitor in f30
- assemble the back housing
- the original e90 cic/ccc monitor trim needs a bit of trimming on the back. Just put the f30 monitor and you will see where it requires trimming. The screws which secures the back panel to the monitor needs same space on the sides.
- now you see that the upper 2 holes of the original monitor trim are on the sides and with a small metal bracket can be used to hold the monitor.

All modifications are on the back of the monitor trim and not visible in front. Fiting the monitor to the e9x frame is quite easy, requires some common sense and a bit of plastic trimming.

Last edited by neo_andersson; 02-12-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:01 PM

Thank you for yor answere. At the moment I have the old ccc and first I wanted to upgrade to the cic, but I think updating directly to the NBT is a better solution, because I don't need a combox for all the features. I have another 2 questions:
First: how can i fix The cover from my ccc Business with The favourite Buttons on the nbt and can i just connect them with the new "Computer"
Second: will i Need a Hardware Emulator that is pluged between The nbt and my car or is it just coding.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 PM

Yes, you need a hardware emulator for nbt to work. The emulator not just activates navigation, voice control and camera but also converts some protocols for nbt to understand. The most important ones are pdc and kombi communication which makes cbs,mboard comouter and cc messages to show corectly on nbt. Also emulator converts cic front panel serial comunication to can signal so all the front panel buttons are fully operational.
To answer your other question, cic front panel will be fixed to the trim not to the nbt unit.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM

Can you tell us something about the costs?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by r41n View Post
can you tell us something about the costs?
x2...
Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: M1A1 Abrams
Quote:
Yes, you need a hardware emulator for nbt to work. The emulator not just activates navigation, voice control and camera but also converts some protocols for nbt to understand. The most important ones are pdc and kombi communication which makes cbs,mboard comouter and cc messages to show corectly on nbt. Also emulator converts cic front panel serial comunication to can signal so all the front panel buttons are fully operational.
Is this emulator available now or still in development?

Regarding the new touch controller, what parts comprise the controller? On RealOEM, I found the touch controller itself and then a separate touch controller ECU. Since no photos are provided of the ECU, I'm not sure if this ECU is a replacement board for broken touch controllers or if it is an external interface to the NBT/CAN and must be installed along with the controller. And how would this all be wired to fit into a first gen E90 CCC setup? Finally, would this fit into a CIC controller trim panel with no modifications? I really don't want to cut the trim panel as I'm planning to get the leather wrapped M3 version which has a raised ridge outlining the controller which would be difficult to modify without looking crude.

Regarding the NBT head unit, the "other" forum has a CCC/CIC E90 retrofit thread started and the company offering the retrofit says you have to attach an E90 CIC control faceplate to the new NBT head unit. How do you go about doing this? Is it simply plugging it in or is it more complicated than that?

Lastly, are there region variances in the NBT units designed for Europe versus US/North America? Cheaper NBT head units are available from Europe but reading of earlier CCC retrofits using Euro-spec units in the US being disastrous, I don't want to end up with unusable head unit.

Last edited by Augster; 03-30-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: E92 328xi
Will this work with a CCC or do I have to upgrade to CIC first?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 PM

From what I gathered, you don't need any of the CIC components per se. You should upgrade to at least the CIC controller (although the CCC controller can still work with a CIC head unit, I'm not sure if will work with the NBT head unit; or at least you will not be able to perform certain functions). You may need to use CIC specific connectors, such as for the CIC controller.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E90
Hi

I am very very very interested in the upgrade. I was about to start preparing the CCC to CIC upgrade but frankly speaking, as my E90 is MY2008 pre-LCI and CIC will never be fully OEM in my car, and also CIC is obsolete because of NBT, I wonder if I can upgrade directly from OEM CCC to NBT. I see it's posible but I cannot figure out how at this moment. So please could you answer these questions?

- Which monitor is it needed?. Specific for NBT or can a CIC monitor be used?
- Which head unit is it needed?. Specific for NBT or just a CIC head unit with NBT software upgrade?.
- If it is a specific NBT headunit, which model?. E90 was never offered with NBT, only F30 on forward. So then, I guess that no NBT for E90 hardware exists. How to adapt NBT head unit to E90 navi front plate?. And which front plate, a CIC one with 8 buttons, power button, DVD tray and eject button?.
- I have seen some emulators for Exx series from a Canadian company. Are those the only ones that exist at this moment?.
- Regarding bluetooth and iPod control functions, which compatibility does NBT head unit have with Combox, MULF 2 HIGH, iPod module, etc??. What is needed in order to have bluetooth connectivity in NBT for phone hands free set and integrated iPod control and music art covers in display as it is with CIC + Combox media?
- If NBT hardware for this retrofit in E90 must be somehow tailored for mechanical compatibility for our old cars, who and how can do it?

Thank you.

By the way, I am new in the fórum but regiestered and well known in order BMW forums. I just registed here in order to participate in this thread and find out how to get this done.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:21 PM

Yes, the emulator is available.

To install NBT in any E Series you need the following parts:
- NBT-HU from F30;
- NBT CID from F30 or F25;
- Touch Controller;
- Touch ECU;
- NBT Video Cable;
- USB/Aux Port for armrest;
- USB cable
- Faceplate for CIC according to your vehicle (frontpanel buttons); (if car has CIC the actual one can be reused)
- Monitor trim according to your vehicle; (if car has professional navigation CIC or CCC the actual one can be reused)

If car has CCC the following parts are also required:
- Dash trim for CIC headunit according to your vehicle;
- Console trim for CIC controller according to your vehicle;

Combox is not required anymore in NBT setup as NBT has built-in combox. NBT has 2 USB ports which will allow usb/ipod playback including VIDEO from USB, has built-in bluetooth for phone and music streaming. If car has bluetooth of any kinf (TCU/MULF/Combox) this must be removed. Microphone and BT aerial must be connected directly to NBT head-unit.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
If car has bluetooth of any kinf (TCU/MULF/Combox) this must be removed. Microphone and BT aerial must be connected directly to NBT head-unit.
So if I already have functioning Bluetooth and USB via TCU/MULF, then I have to remove those and manually run extension wires to the NBT head unit?

On a CIC system, there are two USB inputs: one in the glove box for map updates and is connected directly to the back of the head unit, and one in the armrest for everything media related and is connected through what I guess is the MOST bus to the MULF which is what the armrest USB port is directly connected to.

By removing the TCU/MULF, what is the wiring schematic to get the mic (which is wired directly to the TCU) and USB to work with the NBT head unit?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM

NBT has 2 USB ports in the back. One is for the USB in armrest and the second is for baseplate of the mobile phone prep but it can be used as a normal USB port. With NBT usb port in glovebox was discontinued. USB in the armrest is used for music import, music playback (with cover art), video playback (avi/divx/mp4), map update, internal Combox software update.
The easiest way is to install new wires for microphone and BT aerial from NBT's 40 pin quadlock connector and leave the old wires which goes to the trunk unused.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 316d
Hello

I have a question too.

Is the Hardware emulator necessary to get the Rear View Camera to work?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Yes. You need something to emulate trsvc can frames. Without them nbt will not activate camera macro.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 316d
Do you have OEM Camera or is this aftermarket?

I retrofitted NBT in my BMW F30 with OEM camera and I dont get camera to work..