Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
need advice with JB4

Hello everyone need some i'm about to order JB4 for my 09 335i xdrive and there are 3 options.

1. just the JB4

2. with bms usb cable

3. with bms usb cable and dual dci

http://www.burgertuning.com/jb4_pnp_...nce_tuner.html

i know what DCI does

not sure with the usb cable… what are the advantage of getting it?

any advice will be appreciated

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Illeagle Illeagle is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: e 90
USB cable lets you connect to computer for any updates and it also let's you log your runs. I have it in my car and I think it's a good idea to have it. My .02 cents
Dci is dual cone intake.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
USB cable lets you connect to computer for any updates and it also let's you log your runs. I have it in my car and I think it's a good idea to have it. My .02 cents
Dci is dual cone intake.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Oh ok can it be any regular usb cable? Do you have bms dci also? If you do, do u like it?



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2014, 09:26 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,716
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momukhamo View Post
Hello everyone need some i'm about to order JB4 for my 09 335i xdrive and there are 3 options.

1. just the JB4

2. with bms usb cable

3. with bms usb cable and dual dci

http://www.burgertuning.com/jb4_pnp_...nce_tuner.html

i know what DCI does

not sure with the usb cable…. what are the advantage of getting it?

any advice will be appreciated

thanks in advance

Door number two.


Deep six DCI - a useless appendage for JB4 only. But that cable's good come time to upgrade software or access chip capabilities w/laptop copilot.

Ummmm....HERE
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Door number two.


Deep six DCI - a useless appendage for JB4 only. But that cable's good come time to upgrade software or access chip capabilities w/laptop copilot.

Ummmm....HERE
cool cool thank you so much so i'll just get jb4 w/ usb cable….
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Illeagle Illeagle is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: e 90
I do have a dci. Other than the sound that u get around 2500-3500rpm I didn't feel any difference. There is a lot of debate about this as it does pull hot air in.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
I do have a dci. Other than the sound that u get around 2500-3500rpm I didn't feel any difference. There is a lot of debate about this as it does pull hot air in.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

sounds good.. hmm i'll get DCI next time when I'm ready for downpipes also.. i still have to get tires for my wheels lol thats why I'm trying not to spend a lot lol but when i found out about JB4 i can't ignore it hehe..

how's the JB4 anyways? u never had any issues?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Illeagle Illeagle is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: e 90
No issues so far.
15k miles/1 year. Best bang for money spent for any mod.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
No issues so far.
15k miles/1 year. Best bang for money spent for any mod.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Hehe nice thats what i thought when i found out about it hmm i just ordered it.

Thank you again


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 AM
ChrisAG ChrisAG is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 335i
How's the fuel mileage with that JB4
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAG View Post
How's the fuel mileage with that JB4
LOL more power less MPG
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2014, 12:05 PM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,402
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Yea more power out = more gas in
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,820
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Follow the instruction create logs, email the CSV file to Terry & he will help you tune your car, no charge. For anyone thinking about a JB4 its a must to get the cable. Free interface software updates, free firmware updates & most importantly the ability to create logs & see exactly what your engine is doing.



Graph derived from the CVS file by the JB4 interface software.
__________________
Kevin

2014 BMW 435M-Sport
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Follow the instruction create logs, email the CSV file to Terry & he will help you tune your car, no charge. For anyone thinking about a JB4 its a must to get the cable. Free interface software updates, free firmware updates & most importantly the ability to create logs & see exactly what your engine is doing.



Graph derived from the CVS file by the JB4 interface software.
oh ok thank you so much i ordered it already with the USB last saturday.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Ok so i finally got the JB4

is it really just plug & play? I watched the installation on youtube it seems easy but i dont think i want to mess with it just myself.

Do you have to program or update anything once its already plugged?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 PM
MasterYoda's Avatar
MasterYoda MasterYoda is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 338
Mein Auto: '11 E92 335is DCT ProTune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momukhamo View Post
Ok so i finally got the JB4

is it really just plug & play? I watched the installation on youtube it seems easy but i dont think i want to mess with it just myself.

Do you have to program or update anything once its already plugged?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Go here

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/

Everything you need regarding the JB4 is on this site

After you install it, use the USB and your laptop to fine tune some of the settings


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

'11 E92 335is DCT ProTuned by PTF Black Sapphire Metallic (Mine)
'14 F30 335xDrive Mineral Grey (Wifey)
'11 E92 335xDrive Space Grey (Retired)
'08 E90 328xi Alpine White (Retired)
'04 E46 325xi Silver Grey (Retired)
'03 E46 330xi Titanium Silver (Retired)
'98 Audi A4 2.8 Black (Retired)
'89 Saab 900 Turbo Grey (Retired) 350,000 miles

ED - Aug/Sept 2013 - '14 F30 335xDrive w/DHP Mineral Grey
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Illeagle Illeagle is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: e 90
I don't think so if you ordered it directly from burger motor sports. I ran the USB to glove box for easy access.
Installation is easier than it looks on YouTube. I would try DIY just in the future you can take it out by urself. Normally in la Indy shops charge around 60$ for installing.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
I don't think so if you ordered it directly from burger motor sports. I ran the USB to glove box for easy access.
Installation is easier than it looks on YouTube. I would try DIY just in the future you can take it out by urself. Normally in la Indy shops charge around 60$ for installing.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yeah i ordered it from burger motorsports i'll see if i can find someone to help me or walk me through it so in the future i can do it myself

It says you dont feel it right away you gota give it some time after u install it?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-30-2014, 06:11 PM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYoda View Post
Go here

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/

Everything you need regarding the JB4 is on this site

After you install it, use the USB and your laptop to fine tune some of the settings


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Oh ok thanks


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 PM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,820
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momukhamo View Post
Yeah i ordered it from burger motorsports i'll see if i can find someone to help me or walk me through it so in the future i can do it myself

It says you dont feel it right away you gota give it some time after u install it?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
If you use Map 5 that's true. Its a learning Map that updates itself with all the conditions of the car including fuel. The other maps are all fixed & are good to go from the get go.

Map 5 is generally recommended for new people with basically unmodified cars since it will develop optimal settings on its own for the car.

The learning process can be accelerated, pun intended, by making three or four WOT runs in 3rd gear from 2500 RPM & shifting into 4th at 6200rpm give or take a few hundred RPM.

It should be noted that if you leave map 5 for another map you must redo the learning process if you go back to map 5
__________________
Kevin

2014 BMW 435M-Sport
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 01-30-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 AM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
If you use Map 5 that's true. Its a learning Map that updates itself with all the conditions of the car including fuel. The other maps are all fixed & are good to go from the get go.

Map 5 is generally recommended for new people with basically unmodified cars since it will develop optimal settings on its own for the car.

The learning process can be accelerated, pun intended, by making three or four WOT runs in 3rd gear from 2500 RPM & shifting into 4th at 6200rpm give or take a few hundred RPM.

It should be noted that if you leave map 5 for another map you must redo the learning process if you go back to map 5
oh ok thank you for the tip.. if you didnt tell me this i thought it was map 1 for stock or beginner..

thanks for the heads up!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-31-2014, 06:07 AM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,820
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Map 1 will work OK but based on the condition of you car & fuel available Map 5 can give you more performance than Map 1 without having to fiddle with any settings. For guys with the IS version Map 1 will not do very much because the factory software is almost there on its own. Map 2 with 93 octane would be the base map for them. With 91 octane you would want to take logs & compare results. In any event Map 5 can also be used on the IS.

Most guys running an e85 mix will use Map 5.

BTW the PDF file is the best guide for an install, the vids leave stuff out. Remember if you have to use force its the wrong plug or you have the plug backwards. Finally if you have very little experience with cars get help & if its a pro be sure he will let you watch & explain what he is doing. After the first time its about a 1/2 hour hood open to hood closed.
__________________
Kevin

2014 BMW 435M-Sport
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 01-31-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:58 AM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Map 1 will work OK but based on the condition of you car & fuel available Map 5 can give you more performance than Map 1 without having to fiddle with any settings. For guys with the IS version Map 1 will not do very much because the factory software is almost there on its own. Map 2 with 93 octane would be the base map for them. With 91 octane you would want to take logs & compare results. In any event Map 5 can also be used on the IS.

Most guys running an e85 mix will use Map 5.

BTW the PDF file is the best guide for an install, the vids leave stuff out. Remember if you have to use force its the wrong plug or you have the plug backwards. Finally if you have very little experience with cars get help & if its a pro be sure he will let you watch & explain what he is doing. After the first time its about a 1/2 hour hood open to hood closed.
got it thanks now i understand it a little hehe i really appreciate it man. i know i can just go to that link and learn more about it but i made it easier for me to understand hehe..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Just installed it with a help of my friend hmm how can i run the usb cable inside the car?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1391272562.531566.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	420182


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Miller335 Miller335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 222
Mein Auto: 2007 E92
Google "jb4 usb cable install".

It has all the info you need.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
jb4


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms