Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: nothing
e90, retrofits, options, etc?

so im strongly considering an e90, maybe a coupe, maybe a sedan, definitely a 330 or 328/325, some n52 engine derivative for good reliability...as well as a stick shift for good transmission reliability

however, there arent that many manual bmws around where i live, and im kind of looking for one with a decent array of options (idrive+sport suspension+sport seats+sport wheel+split fold rears), and finding that on a low mileage (under 80k) sample is a bit difficult

however, the e90 only got a heated steering wheel in 2009 after the LCI.....is it possible to retrofit a heated wheel from an 09 e90 onto, say, an 06?
i can easily source the parts from wrecked e90s, what i need is some instructions, or possibly the assurance that it has been done before successfully, and maybe a pictorial?

another thing, possibly not possible; retrofitting the sport seats into an e90 with the basic power seats?
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
before you go about retrofitting, spend some time on Cars.com

I was looking for a RWD 328i in the last few weeks.

The CT dealers either had none or 1 to choose from. After a cars.com search, I found 45 in a 250 mile radius. I bet if you are willing to spend a day traveling vs. a day retrofitting, you can find what you want or at least more of what you want.

I had never used cars.com before, but I like it now. If you are in a suburban/urban area there will be few manuals out there, but they can be found.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorgan456 View Post
before you go about retrofitting, spend some time on Cars.com

I was looking for a RWD 328i in the last few weeks.

The CT dealers either had none or 1 to choose from. After a cars.com search, I found 45 in a 250 mile radius. I bet if you are willing to spend a day traveling vs. a day retrofitting, you can find what you want or at least more of what you want.

I had never used cars.com before, but I like it now. If you are in a suburban/urban area there will be few manuals out there, but they can be found.
true, but that still doesn't account for retrofitting in stuff it never could have had in the first place, like the heated steering wheel
Old 01-26-2014, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93
retrofitting heated steering wheel in pre-LCI e90 is possible, parts from LCI are needed. You will have to replace coil spring, steering column lower cover, install the switch for heated steering wheel and wire it to power. there is no coding required. we did 3 retrofits like this in our garage, the only thing you will need is the wiring diagram which is self explanatory.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_andersson View Post
retrofitting heated steering wheel in pre-LCI e90 is possible, parts from LCI are needed. You will have to replace coil spring, steering column lower cover, install the switch for heated steering wheel and wire it to power. there is no coding required. we did 3 retrofits like this in our garage, the only thing you will need is the wiring diagram which is self explanatory.
excellent, so it doesn't require any special wire harnesses or special modules deep in the dash, its all contained in the wheel...and i suspect it just needs a 12v source somewhere
any suggestions on sources to tap into? im a little concerned about parasitic load, or small amounts of electrical noise in a BMW. german engineering = non robust code. things go funky it goes wacky
Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93
you can take power from its original location in JBBF under glove comp.
you need the wheel including its heating module inside but you must change coil spring as i said before in order to have connector inside the steering wheel for heater.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_andersson View Post
you can take power from its original location in JBBF under glove comp.
you need the wheel including its heating module inside but you must change coil spring as i said before in order to have connector inside the steering wheel for heater.
excellent, so its about as easy as i was hoping
that's a good thing, that means i dont have to look exclusively at the 2009+ e90s, since nothing else on the LCI interests me