Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
coolant flush finally done

Yay.

I've become very proficient at jacking the front end up by the central lift point, getting the car up on stands, chocking the rears, removing the underbody shield, buttoning her all up again, and lowering it all back down. What's my secret you ask? It's really quite simple. Just be sure to keep forgetting things, whether they're items to reinstall, or clips to refasten, and you'll get plenty of practice! I did the entire lifting and unbuttoning three complete cycles in one session. I was having serious memory issues for about two days. I even forgot to bring a birthday gift to my good friend's party the next day.

The detailer in me would not let me start off without a bit of wiping down. I didn't go crazy and bust out rubber cleaners or anything like that. Oh, speaking of crud, you will almost certainly have dirt and other various items fall on your face and body as you remove the shield and/or other items.

Ah, she's finally coming out (the FMIC that is).

Here it is. Oh, I bought a large pair of 90 degree pliers to unfasten those quick release clips, as I saw a mechanic do on YouTube, however I should have chosen a smaller pair, and that's what I would recommend if you want to buy a pair. However, it was an unnecessary purchase, and in fact a skinny screwdriver might even be easier.

This trim piece that I'm touching here, it fell down as I removed the IC, and I had figured out that this is where it must go.

I can unscrew the plug even this far without any coolant coming out yet. I used a nickel to remove it, none of my screwdrivers could work here, and my chisel is too wide. The blue and green are separate pieces, and some people have broken the outer piece (and these pieces may be different with AT vs MT according to some people); it has been advised to secure the outer piece with a wrench or pliers, because it has tabs that can be easily broken, and you will then be making a trip to the parts department. I didn't need to secure mine, it wasn't budging.

This here is my third torque wrench purchase in recent years, and I got it for the very low range (drain plug torque spec is only 2.5 Nm or 22 in-lb), and I was happy that it was made in the USA. However, I don't have any 1/4" drive "Nickel Coin Bit" attachment that could possibly work. Grr. Anyone know what bit I should be looking for? Anyway, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to use my new toy.

So the draining... at first it was a very tiny stream (I purposefully did not open the expansion tank cap, even if that's what Bentley advises to do firstly), it then of course comes out with more gusto after the cap is off, and then it later starts coming out sort of haphazardly as you see in this pic. The drain took a while, longer than it would for oil I believe, even if it's a fraction of the volume.

So I put her all together, gently brought her back down. I'm cleaning up everywhere, while the electric bleed process is ongoing. And then I see this thing, which was obscured on my chair. It goes directly on the bottom of the IC (tip: the clips are pointed northwest when lookin up at them, they go in, they you turn them to go northeast, if I am not mistaken.) Sigh. It's probably not extremely important, or as bad as forgetting to put a wheel back on, or the engine back in, but I decided I had to get it back in. Rinse and repeat. Get the super heavy jack out again, fetch the stands, etc.

I decided to do back to back electric bleed sessions. After all, I'm a noob. I had made sure to top off the battery earlier in the week, and of course had the CTEK installed during the whole process. This is what the old fluid looked like in the first of three 1.8 quart juice bottles I used for disposal.

Off I go, and I hear this peculiar whooshing kind of noise. Weird. Is my system just getting used to it all, is there more bleeding of sorts going on or something (I was carrying a half gallon of RO water just in case). Then it hit me, I had got everything back in and installed, but I totally forgot to fasten the quick release clips to the ducts. Rinse and repeat. Get that monstrous jack, the stands, etc. Remove the 20 or so screws, etc. I expected them to only be apart a little bit after driving only a few miles total, but they were completely separated. I've had a lot going on, also completed two other first time DIYs on two other cars just this week, maybe it all caught up with me. Meh, I wasn't meticulous enough. Anyway, was I hearing my turbos? Were they overworking or something, because of lack of pressurized air? (I don't know how this stuff works.) Thanks.

The next day, I drive off, and what was it that I now forgot? I forgot that my CTEK was connected and off I went. I went only a hundred feet or so, and heard a peculiar slight rattle. I find that the hood is cracked open, and there was the quick release connects for the charger. But where did the CTEK go? I could not find it. It totally disappeared. I lifted the car a fourth time in 24 hours simply to take a visual, to make sure there it didn't find itself in some nook or cranny. Nowhere to be found. What the heck... And then later that evening is when I forgot to bring the gift... I am going to make sure that any charger is much more visible now upon approaching the car, and/or just leave the hood wide open. I'm thinking of upgrading from the 3300 to the 7002, not that I need to.

Anyway, this DIY had me intimidated for a little while, but it really was easier than it first appeared. The IC does come out quite easily. It was only a tiny bit messy, not much more than an oil change, and it's easier to clean up after. The MT version has a capacity of 2.17 gal, but my estimate was that I put in only about 1.8 gal total. Oh, I didn't disconnect the radiator hose, it sort of intimidated me. Maybe there is a lot more at that hose than I gave it credit for; it looks like I did roughly an 83% flush, but I'm not sure what is normal.

The next first time DIY on the radar for me is perhaps the clutch bleed. But that one still intimidates me. I'm not sure which technique to do, not that I've wrapped my head around any of them at all. It seems like it would be so extremely easy to introduce air. My indy has a higher charge in the case he had to deal with any air I introduced into it, as they have to use some back bleed procedure; I guess this has happened often enough that they actually have a specific fee dedicated for this. Anyone wanna hold my hand on this DIY?

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 01-25-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Has anyone ran their old coolant through a sieve to see if there was any debris in there?

Also are people reverse flushing using a hosepipe? I've not changed coolant in over twenty years but remember that really helping.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 01-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Great stuff. I haven't built up enough courage to do any of this on my own just yet. Both of our cars will have their fluids done in a month or 2. I'll learn what I can from my friend mechanic, at that time, and then consider messing around.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:05 PM
wooohooo

Yet another brainfart, I don't know why I was thinking that there was a "fraction of the volume" of an oil change... there was in fact more volume here than with my recent oil changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Has anyone ran their old coolant through a sieve to see if there was any debris in there?

Also are people reverse flushing using a hosepipe? I've not changed coolant in over twenty years but remember that really helping.
While I don't understand the reverse method, I would have tried the sieve for you if I hadn't already disposed of the coolant. That said, from what I could make it out, it looked very clean of debris. For instance, I didn't see any debris in the bottom of the catch pan after I finished pouring the fluid into the empty juice bottles. OTOH, perhaps there simply wasn't enough time for any debris to settle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Great stuff. I haven't built up enough courage to do any of this on my own just yet. Both of our cars will have their fluids done in a month or 2. I'll learn what I can from my friend mechanic, at that time, and then consider messing around.
Thanks. I will be very curious to know some of the various details you will pick up.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
FYI: the reason I asked about debris is that many people on various car forums say modern coolant is good for ten years from new.

Personally I am leaning towards changing at five years but am weighing that against the risk of not bleeding air out correctly and causing damage. It's the only DIY that I am on the fence over. On the MX-5 forums the wisdom is not to change coolant until ten years old, but they don't have the failing water pumps like our E9xs do.

The hosepipe method is to simply run water (from a hosepipe) through the system until the water is clear. We used to do this in reverse too. It was definitely needed in the 1980s.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 01-26-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post

Thanks. I will be very curious to know some of the various details you will pick up.
Will absolutely share everything I learn.
My friend: 18 years of automotive repairs experience, with focus on BMWs.
Me: a monkey with a wrench!

Should be good times

Stay tuned...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-27-2014, 08:15 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
FYI: the reason I asked about debris is that many people on various car forums say modern coolant is good for ten years from new.

Personally I am leaning towards changing at five years but am weighing that against the risk of not bleeding air out correctly and causing damage. It's the only DIY that I am on the fence over. On the MX-5 forums the wisdom is not to change coolant until ten years old, but they don't have the failing water pumps like our E9xs do.

The hosepipe method is to simply run water (from a hosepipe) through the system until the water is clear. We used to do this in reverse too. It was definitely needed in the 1980s.
Thanks. You don't trust the 12 minute automated bleed cycle which activates the pump? As I mentioned, I did it twice, back to back (Bentley says wait at least 3 minutes to do that, if in the instance you had found a leak, but I waited a bit longer than that.) To start the process, car on but ignition off (press start without clutch in, I think it was) interior climate temp is at max (I think it may have been 84F on both sides?), fan speed at minimum 1 bar (at this point I had a rather large yellow exclamation point light up on the dash, not boxed in or circled, just by itself), depress throttle for 10 seconds (I feel it took slightly less time than 10 secs but you get the point), and you'll hear the process start up, and it did take 12 minutes to complete for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Will absolutely share everything I learn.
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Yet another brainfart, I don't know why I was thinking that there was a "fraction of the volume" of an oil change... there was in fact more volume here than with my recent oil changes.
It's still a fraction. It's just one that looks something like 9/7.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
It's still a fraction. It's just one that looks something like 9/7.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i Pre-LCI
Man, I envy you DIY guys, I'd love to be able to work on my own car. But alas, I work the midnight shift and tend to my two boys before I crash for the rest of the day. The amount of money I could save! One day, one day.