Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645 Coupe
Sensors. Switches & CPU

How expensive are these parts & labor to fix or replace sensors, switches & CPU. If I get an extended warranty those things will not be covered. I only qualify for the gold policy with AutoPom. Is it worth it?

Maybellineo
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci convertible 2004
who told you that was all the parts that you needed did you get it checked somewhere??/
Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentrex View Post
who told you that was all the parts that you needed did you get it checked somewhere??/
No one told me that that's all the parts I needed. These parts & labor are excluded from an extended warranty with AutoPom. It is the gold policy. I can PM you the actual policy that names what is covered. I wanted to know if the sensors tend to be expensive because if I bought this policy, I would be responsible for the parts & labor to repair.

Maybellineo
Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci convertible 2004
if you don't need them don't make yourself sick thinking about it only a service center could give you prices and labour to replace them,are you still thinking of selling your car??
Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentrex View Post
if you don't need them don't make yourself sick thinking about it only a service center could give you prices and labour to replace them,are you still thinking of selling your car??

I don't know what I am going to do. I did order the parts online for $35.00 to fix my vacuum leak. The Indy doesn't mind if you bring the parts & his shop will fix it. Once that is fixed, I am all clear. I got the quote for the extended warranty & will try & decide soon what I am going to do. That's why I wondered if sensors & switches & CPU's are not covered if this warranty is worth it. Also I was told that a coolant pipe failure is a really expensive fix. Up to 5K, that is if you bring it to an Indy. I can tell you right now my husband won't pay that kind of money if that should happen. I have such terrible luck tomorrow my coolant pipe will go!

I may run a ad on Craig's list & see what kind of response I get. I called an European Car Dealer & asked me what they would give me & they said 15K. No way would I take that little money.

Maybellineo

Last edited by maybellineo; 01-25-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: '05 645i convert
I wouldn't stress too much about the coolant pipe. First, if it happens, it can be taken care of for less. I've heard more like 2K with the pipe kit. Second, every car can have expensive hits. Think of that hit vs the amount of money you put to get a new or newer car, and it rarely is a problem... even if a lot of money.

Sit back, and enjoy the drive.

Its unlikely you will enjoy driving as much in anything else that you paid 15 or even 20 K for... and that is what you are paying for your six by not selling it.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarv View Post
I wouldn't stress too much about the coolant pipe. First, if it happens, it can be taken care of for less. I've heard more like 2K with the pipe kit. Second, every car can have expensive hits. Think of that hit vs the amount of money you put to get a new or newer car, and it rarely is a problem... even if a lot of money.

Sit back, and enjoy the drive.

Its unlikely you will enjoy driving as much in anything else that you paid 15 or even 20 K for... and that is what you are paying for your six by not selling it.

I know I am a worry wart. If I were working, I would feel less stressed about it. My husband is footing the bills. He paid a ton of money last year on my daughter's 330i she inherited from me. Her transmission went out to the tune of 8K. That's why I think I will get the warranty. I just fear them not paying off. My car only qualifies for the Gold Policy with Autopom. Quite a few on here & said they were a reputable company that pays their claims.
Plus the warranty doesn't pay off until 30 days or 1000 miles. I would have to take a road trip to get that many miles in a month. Once a month I go over 50 miles over the Causeway Bridge, the longest bridge in the world, to see my sister. But that's just once a month. I have had this car for 4 years & it is only about the last year that I have had these problems.

Does everyone think that it is the v8 that causes most of the problems? And why does everything need a sensor? Back in the day everyone drove their cars, did maintenance oil, new tires. etc. If the car broke, they knew it was broken & brought it in for repairs. Now the sensors that tell us that something doesn't work break too. So we have double the trouble. Yikes!

Maybellineo

Last edited by maybellineo; 01-25-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: '05 645i convert
The following thread happened a year or so ago when discussing CPO repair policies. Its worth a read. Post #21 summarizes my thinking on the matter.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=669452

As for the husband paying the bills... All dollars are green. If he spends too many bills on the policy or the repairs... this is bad for both of you!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarv View Post
The following thread happened a year or so ago when discussing CPO repair policies. Its worth a read. Post #21 summarizes my thinking on the matter.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=669452

As for the husband paying the bills... All dollars are green. If he spends too many bills on the policy or the repairs... this is bad for both of you!
The only problem is that she will not qualify for BMW CPO. But it is a good discussion about coverage in general!

All the aftermarket policies you can pick from have their exclusions so it can be hard to decipher which to go with. I have heard good things about the Platinum but don't know much about that Gold policy. All I know is that it can be frustrating to pay $2500 to $4000 for a warranty and then have them not pay because it falls into the exclusion list.

It is hard to have the answers for you, there are people who have bought warranty packages and never used them and others who it has saved.

Last edited by tampamark; 01-26-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
You need to find someone in your area, that is a member here on the forum. If they have the correct software, they can help keep your repairs to a minimum. As stated above, the coolant pipe can be replaced for less than 2k. Your next big ticket item would be when the valve seals go? This would probably be a 3 to 5k repair. I thought that there was a company that would cover the electronics out there somewhere? If you were to present all your repair bills to the warranty company, you might get a better price! It boils down to, do you pay Peter or Paul?

The coolant pipe & valve seals will fail, but the time frame is different on each engine. No one knows how well the car was taken car of, when the original owner had it. 15k oil changes are killing these engines!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Perhaps your best course of action at this point is to trade it in on a lower status car. You probably have enough value in that car that you could pick up a more common, newer ride with a factory warranty and eliminate your stress.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
You need to find someone in your area, that is a member here on the forum. If they have the correct software, they can help keep your repairs to a minimum. As stated above, the coolant pipe can be replaced for less than 2k. Your next big ticket item would be when the valve seals go? This would probably be a 3 to 5k repair. I thought that there was a company that would cover the electronics out there somewhere? If you were to present all your repair bills to the warranty company, you might get a better price! It boils down to, do you pay Peter or Paul?

The coolant pipe & valve seals will fail, but the time frame is different on each engine. No one knows how well the car was taken car of, when the original owner had it. 15k oil changes are killing these engines!
Herb:

Do you mean that people are waiting till 15k miles to change their oil. I haven't been doing that.

Maybellineo
Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Perhaps your best course of action at this point is to trade it in on a lower status car. You probably have enough value in that car that you could pick up a more common, newer ride with a factory warranty and eliminate your stress.
I did consider that. I called a used European Motor dealer & they said they would give me 15k. Strictly wholesale. Still owe $9k on the car. I hate to lose money that way. But I may have no choice. The warranty on Autopom cost $3300 for 48K or 4 years. No coverage for CPU or sensors or switches. They cover most electric except for DVD, navigation, & tv which I don't have in the car anyway. An extra $200 cost for that. Just spent & will spend about $300 more on oil leak. I am really stressed out. I will be driving a used Hugo before this is all said & done.

Maybellineo
Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post

Last week I had the valve cover gasket, spark plug seals & valve cover replaced. That cost $1600. I still have the vacuum pump & oil pressure switch to repair next week. I bought my own parts for $35.00. I am waiting on them to come in to fix that. That will only be about $250.00. I am not worried about that.

So if I show the warranty company that I have paid a lot of these repairs, they may give me a better rate, or maybe I could try & get platinum coverage that will cover the sensors & computer related parts.

Last edited by maybellineo; 01-26-2014 at 09:23 AM.