Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 10-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 550ix, GL450, 991S, R8
Have you noticed the headrest position on many cars has been moved forward

Have you noticed the headrest position on many cars has been moved forward, kind of like ‘ / ’ where the upper part of the headrest is pushed forward and the lower part of the headrest is in a normal position … in some cars when I put my head back I feel like I am being forced into a slouching type of position … I am being a little extreme when I say this but I think it gets the point across.

I’ve noticed it in some of the following cars, the Mazda 6, New Honda Accord, Infiniti I30 & I35, the new Toyota Sienna, most Volvo‘s, Saab 9-3’s, Most Nissan’s & Infiniti’s with the active headrest, etc.

Some cars where you can still have a relaxing position are the ones that allow you to tilt the headrest like the BMW 3 series & most Audi’s.

Though even the new E60 5er has a different type of headrest where the top part of the headrest doesn’t tilt, but the lower portion of the headrest can move forward towards the driver.

I am sure they have done this for safety reasons but I find it to be uncomfortable …has anyone else noticed this ?

Unfortunately I think this trend is going to continue and like everything else in life, it is something I will have to learn to get used to.
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2004, 10:16 AM
2 pieces dry white toast

Send a message via ICQ to Elwood
Mein Auto: Mystic '04 330ci
Beats the american cars where you can tilt your head 45 deg back before you hit anything

- 2004 BMW 330Ci - Mystic Blue - Sports Pkg - Hole in Roof -
- Bum Warmers - M3 Wheel - ZHP Knob - Arai for the noggin -
- UUC Swaybarbarians - To tell me this is a repost, get in line -

Last edited by Elwood; 10-12-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:34 AM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood
Beats the amaerican cars where you can tilt your head 45 deg back before you hit anything
What's with the font guys?

I agree with Elwood, though. I want there to be a minimum amount of room between the back of my head and the start of my head restraint so my head gathers as little momentum as possible before hitting something to minimize the chances of whiplash. I also want the restraint to be sturdy but soft enough that the blow is cushioned as much as possible so that my head doesn't stop moving while my brains stay in motion and slam the inner backside of my skull giving me a closed head injury.

If I need to use a head "rest," I'll pull over and take a nap.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:09 AM
2 pieces dry white toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ·clyde·
What's with the font guys?
Font? What font?!

He did it! ---->AF

Old 10-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Here since day one

Quote:
Font? What font?!

He did it! ---->AF
it's true it was me I admit it ... I originally wrote the post on my Microsoft Word program then copied & pasted

I guess with so few replies it must be my lay head that needs to rest while I drive and I am one of the few that see it as a comfort issue
Old 10-12-2004, 11:25 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Most cars don't let you tilt it forward enough. Both my BMWs have no problem with this. If you're going to have it set all the way back, you might as well not run a headrest at all.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:42 AM
2 pieces dry white toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Most cars don't let you tilt it forward enough. Both my BMWs have no problem with this. If you're going to have it set all the way back, you might as well not run a headrest at all.
I remember reading in my Ins. Co's newsletter that for safety, the headrest should be roughly 1 to 1.5" from the back of your head while in a normal upright sitting position. It then went on to praise the makes/models that did this. My old Eclipse passed as I assume the BMW would

edit - I either need to learn to spell/type, or get a vB spellchecker :/

Old 10-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Here since day one

Quote:
edit - I either need to learn to spell/type, or get a vB spellchecker :/
I was going to tell you that also
Old 10-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Yeah-- its for saftey.. Volvo has had fixed headrests for years (as long as I can remeber-- they were doing it in the 80s), and some have found it uncomfortable-- (forcing your neck forward). WHen I tried out an e60, i felt like the headrest actually wasn't as close as i can get it on my e46. WHat did you think of the general seat comfort of the e60 btw? I know consumer reports and maybe one of the auto safety sites have basically dinged all other headrests designs for some time. Year after year, its only Volvo that gets good marks. I guess other manufacturers are following suit. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that its cheaper to build that way.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Here since day one

Rob, Did you realize the headrest came out from the bottom instead of the top on the E60 ? It was pretty comfortable

I found the seat to be very comfortable and also liked how idrive sits perfectly in place for your hand to hold it so it made it easy to use the functions.

It was easier to change the radio station with idrive because I didn't have to pick my hand up to reach foir the stereo.

As far as headrests on some cars like the Infiniti I30, it actually pokes you in the back of the head and is very uncomfortable. Others are tolerable but I still feel like I am sitting in a crouched position which I can't think is too good for your back.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-RX8
Rob, Did you realize the headrest came out from the bottom instead of the top on the E60 ? It was pretty comfortable

I found the seat to be very comfortable and also liked how idrive sits perfectly in place for your hand to hold it so it made it easy to use the functions.

It was easier to change the radio station with idrive because I didn't have to pick my hand up to reach foir the stereo.

As far as headrests on some cars like the Infiniti I30, it actually pokes you in the back of the head and is very uncomfortable. Others are tolerable but I still feel like I am sitting in a crouched position which I can't think is too good for your back.
NO i didn't realize that-- is it like that on all e60 seats or just "comfort" seats? I think i know what you mean-- its like the headrest on airbus I was on recently (you pull the bottom of the headrest and it "bends" up?). THe seats I sat on seemed too hard-- not like the e39 or e38 seats- more like an e46 seat.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Here since day one

The car I sat in had the regular 530i power seats ... it was pretty cool and the overall interior was comfortable.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:28 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-RX8

But this also means that the shifter is too far forward. At least that's how I felt when I drove a E60. But then again, the shifter in my E24 is too far forward, too.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
they're like that on my 2003 Ford Crown Vic company car so the american manufacturers are coming around

same for the Z4, but you can pull the headrest, flip it around 180 deg, and have it tilt rearward instead, I tyically did this when autocrossing because with the seat back adjusted properly the headrest would interfere with my helmet, though towards the end I just removed it entirely since removal was authorized in the OM (made it SCCA Solo2 legal to do so)

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present