Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 530i MSport
noisy DISA

I finally got around to doing the G.A.S. DISA upgrade. My mind was made up for me due to a new noise coming from the engine which seemed to be coming from the DISA. I used a poor man's stethoscope ( a long screwdriver) and the tapping appeared to be coming from the DISA.
After pulling it out, it checked out ok, no apparent wear. Did the upgrade anyway and while I was doing maintenance decided to change out the timing chain spring tensioner which has been on the to-do list as well. Mine was like most and the old spring was compressed compared to the new one.
So now the engine is purring quietley again

Thanks to G.A.S. and the diy on the timing chain from doru I think.

Cheers
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For others who read this, the link to GAS thread is here:
- How to repair your DISA valve using titanium & aluminium machined parts and eliminate the chance of engine pin ingestion (1)