Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Sedan
Smile 2007 335i need Headlight suggestions

Hey all.

I'm really new to the BMW scene as I just purchased this car used about a year ago.

It's been working pretty well other than an engine problem I had (promptly fixed)
But now one of my headlights broke, and I don't want to bring it to the dealer to replace..

Essentially I'm looking to just buy a new set of headlights, preferably the better looking LED or Xenons than what I have (mine are dim and yellowish light eugh) also mine right now have the ugly yellow reflectors on the housings which is why I'll probably just buy entire new head sets.

My question is: Do I need to know what configuration of headlight I currently have in order to find a proper replacement? I keep seeing all these terms thrown around about modding them to get them to fit right and I'm totally confused.. If so, how can I figure out what type of headlights my car currently has so that I can find compatible replacements??

And once I do that, can you guys suggest me some good headlights that look nice & sleek and won't break my wallet? (Looking to spend under $600 for the set. I see sets online for $300 but I've heard they're shoddy quality etc.)

I was looking at something from maybe Spyder Auto like this http://www.spyderauto.com/product.ph...w-H7-(Included)

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm also interested in replacing the taillights on my car as I find the old fashioned pre-lci tails extremely UGLY. I was recommended to buy these lights on another forum and think they look amazing, but does anyone have experience with this company or other thoughts? http://www.thespeedline.us/servlet/t...-Series/Detail_a_
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
HID source in a housing intended for halogen bulbs is absolutely wrong...the light is not properly controlled for cutoff to prevent blinding oncoming traffic, it is not a street legal combination. HID need a proper projection system (a lens), and a self-leveling system.
Don't bother with blue halogen bulbs...you will find tons of reports of poor visibility in rain/snow/fog.
Don't bother with higher wattage bulbs (I have only read that Osram 65W will work) as excess heat can melt/damage the headlight housing, and the wiring harness was not designed to pass the wattage demanded by 100W bulbs
And most 'brighter' 55W bulbs burn out fairly rapidly, compared to standard OEM halogens provided in the car from the factory. The biggest beef that folks have with Sylvania Superstar Ultras is short life.

Last edited by wilt; 01-28-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:15 PM

okay thanks for the info.

Can you recommend a replacement housing then? Like the entire headlight assembly (I want a plug and play fix for this)

I was looking at Umnitza's headlight kits like this http://www.umnitza.com/projector90-w...ir-p-1167.html

Total with bulbs included would be in the upper $500 range which isn't too bad

Anyone have experience with Umnitza or can recommend other brands?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
we have your replacement halogen bulbs which are H7 at 55Watts, its all error free

http://www.e92-lighting.com/mtec-bul...7-super-white/
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 PM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0pe View Post
okay thanks for the info.

Can you recommend a replacement housing then? Like the entire headlight assembly (I want a plug and play fix for this)

I was looking at Umnitza's headlight kits like this http://www.umnitza.com/projector90-w...ir-p-1167.html

Total with bulbs included would be in the upper $500 range which isn't too bad

Anyone have experience with Umnitza or can recommend other brands?
here's a recent one we did for a customer:
https://www.facebook.com/Umnitza/pos...?stream_ref=10
Old 01-31-2014, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Don't get spyder.

I would source a set of DEPO housings from eBay and have a local shop modify them for you....ie install full LED rings, clear lens mod, etc.

The DEPO projectors are not my favorite and aren't that great in quality but it is better than the oem halogen setup.

Anyway, the reason I suggest you get a set of housings and mod them locally is because opening the headlights is a tricky process and if you have issues, you can bring it back to the shop for repair. If you buy a pre-modified set online, you have to ship your headlights back to them for repair. That will extend down time...

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 01-31-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Don't get spyder.

I would source a set of DEPO housings from eBay and have a local shop modify them for you....ie install full LED rings, clear lens mod, etc.

The DEPO projectors are not my favorite and aren't that great in quality but it is better than the oem halogen setup.

Anyway, the reason I suggest you get a set of housings and mod them locally is because opening the headlights is a tricky process and if you have issues, you can bring it back to the shop for repair. If you buy a pre-modified set online, you have to ship your headlights back to them for repair. That will extend down time...

Yeah but I was hoping to buy a set that I wouldn't have to modify in any way.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Just buy a $12 bulb and there's no need to take it to the dealer. Once you have changed your own halogen bulb through that little door in the fender liner, you will have a priceless sense of accomplishment. It's tight!
I don't see what is so bad about the halogens. They were pretty normal in 2007. I would live with it and enjoy xenons in your next car.
I would check further on those taillights, I heard rumors that they didn't synch well with the computer and would cause error messages. I think only OEM, which are more like $500, are guaranteed to work.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Look up fishcake321 on eBay. They're around $400-500. Also search for blacklines for your rear tail lights... They'll look sportier but still not too aftermarket.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
You don't have to modify them. They are plug and play for the most part.

But if you want better led rings, they will need to be modified. Everyone that sells depos with full led rings, are modified.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
In any street legal conversion...
  1. Projector housings have self-levelling systems
  2. HID lamps go into projector housing (with self-leveling system)
  3. Ballasts (which convert 12v to 20000v) drive HID lamps

The price of the housing kits is for #1 only (if I correctly recall the description of the contents 'HID is extra'), you still need to also get #2 and #3 before you have a working system. Factor all that together before you sink your money...you don't want to get half way into the conversion to discover the need to still spend a lot more money.

Last edited by wilt; 02-01-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:40 AM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
Quote:
That's what we build.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by machtnichts View Post
I don't see what is so bad about the halogens. They were pretty normal in 2007.
Oh come on. MY 99 had xenons...this is just a case of BMW screwing people by making (an essential safety item IMO) an option.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
Oh come on. MY 99 had xenons...this is just a case of BMW screwing people by making (an essential safety item IMO) an option.
Hey, I was psyched when I upgraded my Miata to Halogens from sealed beams. Maybe I just haven't seen Paree yet when it comes to headlights.