Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5 3.0i
Exclamation Engine problems after plugs & coil change.

First time poster. I own a 2006 BMW X5 3.0i M54 with 135k mi.

Car was running great when I installed new NGK plugs and Bosch coils. Now I have a random issue described as follows:
- Always cranks fine; cold or hot.
- Usually within 5 minutes under normal driving conditions, the rough running episode hits (seems to happen during deceleration.) I know that the skipping is caused by a misfire which leads to the fuel being shut off to a cylinder.
- Recycles after switching off the ignition for 30 sec. but CEL is on with following codes:

Misfire #6 & #4
Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

I can clear the codes and after the engine is switched off for a while, the engine always runs fine...until about that 5 min. mark, usually during deceleration. Again, car was running great with no issues before I installed new plugs and coils. I have switched plugs and coils around, put the old coils back in, etc. to no change.

Verified that #6 plug is firing at start up (check)
No engine rattle so I do not suspect the DISA.
The issue seems to act like a vacuum leak. Maybe I pressed on a weak vacuum hose while changing the plugs?

Any hints based on your experience?
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Dunno. Are you certain the ground lead/strap to the rear bank of cyls was reconnected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto:
Did you find a solution ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5 3.0i
Solution

Pulled the new spark plugs & new coils that had recently been installed and discovered debris under one of the electrodes. The trash was not covering the entire electrode so my guess is that was causing the plug to severely under perform, resulting in throwing a P0430 code.

Cleaned all plugs, applied di-electric grease inside the coil boots, installed and now purrs like a kitten. No codes for a week now.

Runs the way I was hoping after replacing the plugs and coils on a 135,000 mile X5.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
thx for the the update I`m doing my plugs this summer and going to put dielctric grease on them.my engine purrs right now just going to do preventive maintenance ,since it has 200000km on it the plugs are do
Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5 3.0i
My '03 3.0i also has about 134k on it, and when I changed the plugs to new NGK's over the weekend, it appeared to me that they were the original plugs. Since that change I have a much smoother idle and a feeling of more power. Wishing I had done this earlier!

Type FA53, Engine M54B30

2014 F26 28i
DOB 4/14/2014
Glacier Silver Metallic, Oyster Nevada leather
Engine N20
Old 02-12-2014, 03:58 PM

mine runs smooth and the power seems awsome but I can only compare it to my 2008 g6 with 4 cyl in it.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Hello all, I have a gorgeous 04 x5. About a month Ago I started experiencing a misfire. Only does it after about 15 mins of driving. I notice it drives better on the hwy then through traffic. I've changed the vacuum boot, which was cracked. I've replaced the spark plugs and all coils. Still does the same exact thing. I'm going to check the ccv valve next. Beyond that I can only think to take it into the dealer... Unless someone has a suggestion. It runs and idles beautifully at start up. It takes approx 15 mins to start slipping. And if you accelerate it gets worse.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 PM

did you pull the plugs and check them for oil?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:16 PM

Sunday when I change the plugs I saw some oil on the thread but not on any of the points... I replaced all plugs and this morning I replaced all coils.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 PM

you might have a bad valve cover gasket if you see oil on the threads .
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 PM

ru getting any codes
Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 PM

No codes what so ever.. On the dash, I haven't taken it in for a diagnostic test yet.. No check engine light either.. Just a horrible skip and the longer you drive it the worse it skips

Old 05-29-2014, 09:50 PM

what engine you have?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:16 AM

3.0 v6

Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 AM

the 6 cyl only come inline so you have a 3.0i . so have you ever changed the valve cover gasket?
Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 AM
We want the Lion!

Your problem is likely not ignition related (coils, plugs, etc). In my experience with the M54 engine, misfires *always* throw a code for the specific cylinder/bank.

That leaves either air or fuel delivery. If you have inspected the upper and lower intake boots and the elbow to the ICV (idle control valve) and there are no cracks/leaks anywhere, I would suspect either your MAF or your DISA. Both are known to cause running problems without throwing any codes. The very first thing I would suggest is to check your air filter and clean the MAF (using MAF cleaner ONLY).

If the engine runs well at low throttle conditions (idle, highway cruising) but bogs under WOT/high throttle angle conditions, I would suspect your DISA is inoperable. It takes about 5 minutes anda Torx T40 bit to remove and inspect it; there's a press fit pin holding the flap in the frame; many times this is loose; DO NOT let this fall out.

Could also be fuel related, although fuel delivery issues almost always throw codes as well. A severely leaking valve cover gasket could cause the plug/coil connection to foul if enough oil leaked into the plug cavity, but that would show up under all running conditions, not just under acceleration; it would also throw a misfire code for the specific cylinder(s).

How many miles on your X5?

Quote:
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 AM

161,000, I took that DISA off, the spring is tight, plenty of tension. I didn't clean it though. I had that boot replaced. What I'm ashamed to say is I haven't replaced that air filter..
I'll get some cleaner and a new filter. I also read to check the CCV by taking the oil cap off and listening for a honking noise. I'll try that tonight. Thx for all the great tips guys.. What about a clogged catalytic converter? I asked my boy and he said that never goes on that truck..

Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 AM
We want the Lion!

The DISA is spring loaded, but you'll also want to check the vacuum diaphragm to ensure it's still able to overcome the spring tension. Have a look at the GAS (German Auto Solutions) website for how to test the diaphragm.

Cats don't normally clog, unless your pre-cat O2 sensors are bad. These always throw a code and will illumintate the CEL. The O2 sensors are suggested maintenance items at about 100k. I have 130k on mine but my scan tool says they're at 99.8% efficiency, so I'll leave them alone for a while. I have a new pair on the bench, just been too lazy to install them. The post cat pair of O2 sensors never die.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-02-2014, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by vittyf View Post
Hello all, I have a gorgeous 04 x5. About a month Ago I started experiencing a misfire. Only does it after about 15 mins of driving. I notice it drives better on the hwy then through traffic. I've changed the vacuum boot, which was cracked. I've replaced the spark plugs and all coils. Still does the same exact thing. I'm going to check the ccv valve next. Beyond that I can only think to take it into the dealer... Unless someone has a suggestion. It runs and idles beautifully at start up. It takes approx 15 mins to start slipping. And if you accelerate it gets worse.

Do you have a SES light on when it begins to run rough? Sounds like you have a imperceptible misfire, but the DME can detect the misfire and after counting the number of misfires, it does a fuel cutoff to prevent the catalytic converter from being ruin from gasoline entering the converter. Restarting the engine just reset the misfire count back to 0 and the DME will start the count again. until it shut down the fuel again. With the fuel completely shut down to that cylinder, that cylinder is basically dead.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:05 AM

No lights check engine lights, no codes, maybe I'm not driving long enough.. It takes about 20 minutes to get to work and it starts acting up at about 15 minutes but very mildly and the longer I drive the worse it gets...