Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: Truck
New member thinking about Z4 or 911S

I sold my Corvette and I already miss the fun and the horsepower. Thinking about what should be next. My short list is a Z4 35iS, 911S, and SLK 55 AMG. I had a BMW 40 years ago and enjoyed it until mechanical issues starting costing me big time. But this time I am going to lease so I am looking for a roadster that can do road trips, be fun to drive, and make me smile. The C7 Corvette does not do it for me unless maybe I wait for the Z06 version in a couple of years.
Any advice from any of you who have owned a couple of cars from my list?
In advance, thanks
Larry
Ads by Google
Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I sold my Corvette and I already miss the fun and the horsepower. Thinking about what should be next. My short list is a Z4 35iS, 911S, and SLK 55 AMG. I had a BMW 40 years ago and enjoyed it until mechanical issues starting costing me big time. But this time I am going to lease so I am looking for a roadster that can do road trips, be fun to drive, and make me smile. The C7 Corvette does not do it for me unless maybe I wait for the Z06 version in a couple of years.
Any advice from any of you who have owned a couple of cars from my list?
In advance, thanks
Larry
Drive the BMWZ4is and the 911S and you will answer your own question. I just went through this conundrum. I didn't get the 911S because I just couldn't justify the price difference for a weekend car, but I did get a 2013 Boxster S last Friday and, IMHO, the Boxster S makes the Z4 feel like a covered wagon. BTW, by old Z4 is for sale if you want it.

Last edited by LarkHouston; 01-29-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:01 AM

Thanks for the reponse; I probably do need to drive a Cayman S, not interested in a soft top. Most reports are that the CS has a firm ride, which means my wife won't like it for a 4 hour road trip. anything I get, other than a 911 S is going to seem underpowered compared with the Corvette I just sold.
Larry
Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 AM
MJK Z435IS

Mein Auto: 2011 Porsche 911-GTS
I own a 2011 911 GTS and a 2014 Z4-35IS and i can say that they are 2 different animals. But for open hard top driving the BMW is a rocket!! May not take corners too well, but in a straight line or making sharp passes on the highway its insane!! I'am 6.2 and didn't fit in the boxster,plus i hate canvas tops!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 AM

Hard to flesh out my real needs as this will be mostly a toy, but one I can go away for a weekend road trip and be comfortable. The amount of luggage my wife could stuff in the Corvette probably spoiled her. But I am ready to try a hardtop roadster, I think. If I lease it for 3 years, I only have to hate it for 3 years before I can change my mind. I do not like soft tops on the highway, in cold weather, or for security. Targa tops just never seem to get removed. On paper the Z4 is looking better and better. I do not have roads conducive to spirited sports car driving in Eastern NC.
Larry
Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Have you tried the current version of soft tops? Give it a whirl before you write them off. So much better now than they used to be. And when the weather is nice so fun to drop the top.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:56 AM

Thanks, but soft tops are not for me.
Larry
Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35i--2002 330ci
I'm not for sure but isn't the Z06 coming out in MY 2015. If your wife likes the space and you miss/want performance, well, that would be my suggestion.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 AM

Yes, GM has said that the new Z06 is due out for MY2016. You may well be correct that I would be happier in a Z06 than a Z4. But, I am not very pleased with the C7 edgy look, trying to emulate Italian supercars. The smart move may be to lease German for 3 years and see what has developed on the Corvette front. I am more curious what the C8 will look like so maybe 6 years with German will be even better.
I have asked a number of questions from my local BMW dealer with almost no answers. I also do not see a lot of activity on the Z4 portion of this forum. I am going to go drive the Porsche next month and ignore the price difference.
Larry
Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35i--2002 330ci
There is an article in the current Car and Driver about the new Z06, sounds like a beast. I guess any Dealership is only going to tell us what they want us to hear, from Kia to Ferrari they are all the same in that sense. And yes, the Z4 forum is not very active. Good luck in your search.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto:

I though think they don't quite compare, price or performance wise.

The 911 is a sports car and the Z4 is a roadster. I must admit, my dream car would be a Aston Vantage Roadster, but the 1/4 million price tag is out of range for me. But so it is the 911, which easily costs more than twice of a Z4.

Leo-RochesterMI
2010 30ixDrive Black/Black

Last edited by Leo-RochesterMI; 03-16-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 PM
BimmerVette

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4, 35i M Sport
BimmerVette

I've owned 2 Vette Coupes for the past 8 years. Got tired of taking the roof off and on when needed. Like others in this forum, I don't like soft tops so the Vette convertible wasn't an option. I loved the shear power and performance of the Vette but really couldn't use it's full driving experience in an urban city like Dallas. I just bought a Z4, 35i.
It's like apple and oranges in comparison. The Z4 is a Roadster, not a true sports car like a Vette or Porche. It's our "fun car" for just taking short trips and cruising around the suburbs. The Z4 has much better body integrity than the Vette, in my opinion. Too many creaks & rattles in both of my Vettes. I went bold with Valencia Orange with black/orange interior and special black wheels. Attention getter, for sure...
Old 03-16-2014, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto:

Please upload a picture of the new Z4, when you can, with a view of the wheels and the interior. I'm very curious to see the setup.
Thanks,

Leo-RochesterMI
2010 30ixDrive Black/Black

Last edited by Leo-RochesterMI; 03-16-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z435is & 2011 X3 35i
I test drove the 911 Cabriolet soft top. Love the status of the car, but did not like the 8 year old design. Compare a 2014 to a 2006 911s and there are very minor changes, and the interior is just as dated. Add the soft top (noisy and maintenance problem), and the fact that there are so many on the road that look exactly like each other (this is what happens when companies do not innovate) and the Porsche was boring. $140,000 for a design that has not changed in almost a decade - really? Others will say that it is a classic design... but to me, it was just the same old thing.

The Z4 brought a hard top convertible. I love the quiet ride when I am not in the mood for the sun or rain. I love the electronics, I love the modern features, I love the luxury of a wood and leather. I love that it is unique (almost rare). I have the the 35is, and it accelerates every bit as fast as a 911s in city and highway roads... maybe on a track the 911s will do slightly better ... but I drive on public roads, and the Porsche 911s = 35is in this environment, but the 35is does it in class and style.

I can go on and on, and you will see that I started this shopping research with an analytical mind, but after owning the z4 35is for a month, it has turned into a love affair. I am addicted to its strong, brut force acceleration that exceeds every posted speed limit, effortlessly. Handling is amazing. Don't be fooled by the Motor trend articles that state that handling is a problem... they tested this car on a track at 155 MPH. If I am doing 20 MPH over the speed limit, I can assure you that the car handles amazing... and its acceleration leaves every car in its wake. The 80 to 120 MPH accelaration on the highway blows away all of the Mustangs that challenge me, with ease.

In the end, you need to decide how to spend your money. I am lucky in that money was not a factor. I bought what I wanted, and the z4 was the convertible of of choice.