Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CI
For x1 owners without on screen display....

So I have just learnt we need at least technology package to get on screen display and the idrive. For those who have decided to not get the technology package and hence without the on screen display, any regret?

For me, I think the biggest issue i see for myself without one is browsing my play list on my usb drive. What are other downsides of not having one?

I dont mind paying for it, but I really dont need the stock GPS and hate to pay 2k just to have the on screen display.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Are you leasing or buying?
Long term ownership?
I would highly consider the tech package and idrive if you are planning to
be a long time owner, only because it will re-sale a little better if you ever do decide
to sell it, and it brings a little nicer elegance to the cabin.
I may only use the Nav half a dozen times a year, but its still great for all the Bluetooth, music, and onboard functions the computer has.

If you don't own a smart phone, or like to sometimes track your car. You probably don't need it!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmee View Post

I dont mind paying for it, but I really dont need the stock GPS and hate to pay 2k just to have the on screen display.

Thanks for any feedback.
You aren't just paying for the nav system with this. As you have identified, there are a ton of other things that the system allows for, including your music/usb scenario. Additionally, you get a hard drive built into the car that you can actually load your music to, so you wont have to worry about tethering to a usb drive.

All other on board computer, TPMS, service interval, weather, google apps, connected drive, etc etc. I wouldn't look at it as a 2k expense for a nav that you dont need. Its a 2k expense for a bunch of functionality.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:55 PM

Thanks guys, I see your point, and i do agree it is a good feature to have for resale.

It's just that on screen display comes standard for x3, and nav on x3 is also 2k, just make me feel like if i get an x3, i wouldnt need to spend that 2k extra, and of course the problem is, i like the x1 better....

I am planning to buy. But i am starting to consider leasing since i am not sure if i will be able to get the exact car i want
Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmee View Post

It's just that on screen display comes standard for x3, and nav on x3 is also 2k, just make me feel like if i get an x3, i wouldnt need to spend that 2k extra, and of course the problem is, i like the x1 better....

I am planning to buy. But i am starting to consider leasing since i am not sure if i will be able to get the exact car i want
The flaw in your thinking is the X3 is 9k more than the X1....if you like the X1 better, buy it, spend the 2k (or whatever it is), and be happy. Sounds like you would still be 7k less than if you went the X3 route (particularly since you don't like it as much). I recognize I am simplifying this and there may be other options that come as standard on the X3 that aren't standard on the X1....
Old 01-30-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy7fx View Post
I recognize I am simplifying this and there may be other options that come as standard on the X3 that aren't standard on the X1....
Actually i am considering both x3 and x1, x1 because i like the crossover style, x3 because of features that are not available on the x1. In order to get the features i want on an x1, it adds up to just about the same price as the x3, still without some of the standard features of x3. And that's when the practical side of me start asking questions.... and hence this post.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Get after market for about $1000
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2001.5 VW Passat
Anyone have experience w the aftermarket screens?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-01-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
Get after market for about $1000
To the OP...this could be an option if you are buying the car, but would likely cost you more than adding the 2k option if you leased...
Old 02-01-2014, 12:59 AM

Dont you have to worry about warranty when it comes to after market? I waited until warranty expired for my 02 before installing my after market stereo system.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
My base X1 doesn't have the screen or iDrive and can't say I miss them. You can browse the tracks on the USB drive on the radio display, but you are limited to two lines. The rare times I need GPS, my old TomTom works just fine.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
My base X1 doesn't have the screen or iDrive and can't say I miss them. You can browse the tracks on the USB drive on the radio display, but you are limited to two lines. The rare times I need GPS, my old TomTom works just fine.
Did you have iDrive in a previous BMW? A similar screen/function in a previous vehicle?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy7fx View Post
Did you have iDrive in a previous BMW? A similar screen/function in a previous vehicle?
No to both. But I hate having to scroll through menus to do something that just requires the push of button. Very distracting when driving.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
=========

Agree, overly complex to use as it is...the screen has notoriously been reveiwed as too complex. Only downfall without technology package cannot get rear view camera. My thought all SUV's esp. a BMW SUV should come with a rear view camera standard.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imua1 View Post
=========

Agree, overly complex to use as it is...the screen has notoriously been reveiwed as too complex. Only downfall without technology package cannot get rear view camera. My thought all SUV's esp. a BMW SUV should come with a rear view camera standard.
Basic functionality of idrive is very easy to use. If you want media (connected USB) press media button. You want nav, press nav button. You want phone, press phone button. There are other things to do with it, but 90% of the time I press one of the three buttons. Nothing complex about that.

Last edited by randy7fx; 02-08-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: iPhone autocorrect
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: X1 M Sport
Outdated quickly

I didn't get the Nav because it is way overpriced. But, the key for me is these systems become out of date so quickly. I actually think the interior will look better without Nav in 3 years when iDrive looks like an antique piece of junk in 2017. Use the saved money to get a data package on a cell phone. In three years, the phone technology will put all these systems on the shelf and they basically will be set up to work of the phone anyhow.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: Mazda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasstate View Post
I didn't get the Nav because it is way overpriced. But, the key for me is these systems become out of date so quickly. I actually think the interior will look better without Nav in 3 years when iDrive looks like an antique piece of junk in 2017. Use the saved money to get a data package on a cell phone. In three years, the phone technology will put all these systems on the shelf and they basically will be set up to work of the phone anyhow.
Besides the above, refusing the tech package and nav gives you two more storage locations. You'll get a fairly large opening in the top of the dash where the screen would be. It even has a small light in it when you open it at night. You'll also get a small "change tray" near the arm rest where the iDrive wheel and buttons would be.
Space and cubby holes are at a premium in the X1. These extra storage locations are quite handy.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealousofmywife View Post
Besides the above, refusing the tech package and nav gives you two more storage locations. You'll get a fairly large opening in the top of the dash where the screen would be. It even has a small light in it when you open it at night. You'll also get a small "change tray" near the arm rest where the iDrive wheel and buttons would be.
Space and cubby holes are at a premium in the X1. These extra storage locations are quite handy.

I can see extra storage is a plus of not getting the tech package. But for me it is important to easily see my usb contents and having two lines at a time i can see myself going crazy