Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Steve In Texas

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x35i
Cool Current Thoughts on Extended Warranties For X1

I'll be taking delivery of my new E84/N55 in about 6 weeks. As I plan to keep the car 5+ years and 100K+ miles and reading about repair costs on this site scares the s*** out of me, I plan to get an extended warranty. I never, ever get extended warranties, but I'm feeling like in this case it is worth it. So, if you have a few minutes, I'd like your opinions on:
  • do you think I'm on the right track regarding purchasing the warranty under these circumstances?
  • Any insight into determining the dealer cost of the warranty? I can find multiple sites that will show dealer invoice for the car and options, but none so far on the warranty
  • I'm struggling a bit with whether to buy it right away and finance the cost along with the car versus waiting until the standard warranty gets somewhat close to expiring and paying cash. Any suggestions or insight as to this question?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2014, 12:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
I'm not a big fan of extended warranty as the price is usually overkill.
Pay an extra $2500 for another 2 years.
I figure if I have something major go out of factory warranty, I'll likely break even.
I also tend to believe the "bathtub curve" for mechanical things.
It will either break early in its life, or near the end of its life.

Haven't said that, if you want peace of mind, and can afford the extra cost, its probably worth it.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: X1
I think dealers make a ton of cash off it or they wouldn't be trying to sell it so hard. If you get it I would at least pay cash for it. It is bad enough to pay 4 years in advance for your warranty it is even worse to pay interest for 4 years before you can use it.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:42 PM
STEVIL Empire

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i
Since I have Geico Car Insurance, I take advantage of their Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) which extends the original warrantee to 7 years/100K miles with a $250 deductible per issue. I haven't kept a BMW longer than 6 years and have never used it on a BMW, but I did use it on my 2002 Jetta and glad I had it.

If you get an extended warrantee, just make sure the insuring company will be there to support you when you have the need to use it. The nightmares that I've heard from others that have been left holding the bag when they needed it, were not pleasant.

2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14
Old 02-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Steve In Texas

There's a thought. Thanks, Steve. I'll look into that. I do already have Geico as my insurer, so that may be a good way to go.

Thanks to the rest of you, also, for your thoughts. I'm convinced at this point I'll not buy the extended warranty when I take delivery of the car. If I get it, I'll likely wait until just before the factory warranty expires if I've had reliability concerns along the way. With my commute, extending the warranty is a matter of doubling the alloted mileage rather than increasing the term by 2 years, so it does represent a greater value for me than it might for others.

Last edited by Moe 92; 02-21-2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-21-2014, 01:19 PM
STEVIL Empire

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe 92 View Post
There's a thought. Thanks, Steve. I'll look into that. I do already have Geico as my insurer, so that may be a good way to go.

Thanks to the rest of you, also, for your thoughts. I'm convinced at this point I'll not buy the extended warranty when I take delivery of the car. If I get it, I'll likely wait until just before the factory warranty expires if I've had reliability concerns along the way.
If you decide to go the Geico route, there is a limited time that you have to elect the MBI covereage from when the car is new. Double check with them if you're interested. BTW, the first year cost with Geico is like $30 and $72/year after that. So, if you keep the car at least 5 years, it will cost $318 for the coverage and if you have at least one claim ($250 deductible), it would have cost $568 which is way less than it costs to have anything repaired on a BMW!

2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14
Old 02-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Steve In Texas

Great info. Thanks again, Steve.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe 92 View Post

Thanks to the rest of you, also, for your thoughts. I'm convinced at this point I'll not buy the extended warranty when I take delivery of the car. If I get it, I'll likely wait until just before the factory warranty expires if I've had reliability concerns along the way. With my commute, extending the warranty is a matter of doubling the alloted mileage rather than increasing the term by 2 years, so it does represent a greater value for me than it might for others.
I generally never take extended warranties/maintenance/extra coverage options. What they try to sell on the spot is very inflated (I might be mistaken but I think for instance for the extended maint. the price was higher than bmw msrp!). The profit margin must be huge on some of those because on the tire/wheel they took 20% off without me saying anything.

I had my e46 for 13 years, and it seems to me the most expensive repairs I had to do would be considered wear and tear items or maintenance items and not covered by most warranties but I can't be sure.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Since I have Geico Car Insurance, I take advantage of their Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) which extends the original warrantee to 7 years/100K miles with a $250 deductible per issue. I haven't kept a BMW longer than 6 years and have never used it on a BMW, but I did use it on my 2002 Jetta and glad I had it.

If you get an extended warrantee, just make sure the insuring company will be there to support you when you have the need to use it. The nightmares that I've heard from others that have been left holding the bag when they needed it, were not pleasant.
+1

This is what I did as well. BMW warranties are too expensive and have different levels. BMW CPO warranty is basically just powertrain.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx