Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Civic
BMW M3 or M4?

Hey Guys.

I wanna know what are yours preferences on these 2 cars. Since I read that M3 is not in production anymore because is going to be replaced by the M4, I was Would you stay with the M3 or get the M4? I know that the M4 has 30 more HP than the M3 but the the M3 has a bigger engine and a better looking.

Opinions?
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
This is going to be a long thread...

I prefer the E9X M3 simply because I haven't driven the M4 and I prefer NA engines. I'm going to stay with big V8s and maybe even a V10 (viper)

Plus I think the M4 is ugly.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
This is going to be a long thread...

I prefer the E9X M3 simply because I haven't driven the M4 and I prefer NA engines. I'm going to stay with big V8s and maybe even a V10 (viper)

Plus I think the M4 is ugly.

I think the same thing also the M4 is ugly and doesn't have the angel eyes either. With the M3 you can do a lot of upgrades because it has a big engine.. Like these guys from GINTANI.

Last edited by blanco93; 01-31-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanco93 View Post
With the M3 you can do a lot of upgrades because it has a big engine.. Like these guys from GINTANI.
I'm not allowed to say what it would cost to build that due to an email agreement with them, but do you have any idea what that would cost lmao... 99% of m3 owners would not want to pay what that would cost.

I won't say till I drive the m4, but right now the e92 m3 is my favorite of all the bmw's and thats including this f10 m5.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
M3.
They shouldn't have change the Series name. M3 form day one was a coupe.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I'm not allowed to say what it would cost to build that due to an email agreement with them, but do you have any idea what that would cost lmao... 99% of m3 owners would not want to pay what that would cost.

I won't say till I drive the m4, but right now the e92 m3 is my favorite of all the bmw's and thats including this f10 m5.
The Gintani twin turbo kit is STUPID expensive and I would rather supercharge the S65 any day.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:52 PM

I'll take a supercharged S65 over the S55.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
OP, at this stage, it is difficult to compare the current E9x M3 vs. F80/82 M3/M4. That is until the test results from CAR, EVO, Car & Driver, etc are published and the dealers have them available for test drives. I love my coupe but also interested in the next generation. While I do prefer a NA engine, most manufacturers are adopting FI (thank you CAFE). If it provides a similar feeling and improvements are made throughout the vehicle I could be tempted to upgrade. Time will tell. I am also keeping my eye on the future M2. Though if rumors are true it will be a FI 4-cylinder.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
OP, at this stage, it is difficult to compare the current E9x M3 vs. F80/82 M3/M4. That is until the test results from CAR, EVO, Car & Driver, etc are published and the dealers have them available for test drives. I love my coupe but also interested in the next generation. While I do prefer a NA engine, most manufacturers are adopting FI (thank you CAFE). If it provides a similar feeling and improvements are made throughout the vehicle I could be tempted to upgrade. Time will tell. I am also keeping my eye on the future M2. Though if rumors are true it will be a FI 4-cylinder.

I agree with everything you stated except CAFE requirements being the single primary reason for moving away from the bespoke S65. There are plenty of other cars in BMWs lineup, to average out and meet these requirements. It is profit margins that are driving this as sharing common platforms reduces cost. I recall reading an Investor Relations presentation highlighting the fact that BMW has doubled their investment in the business, which has allowed them to grow profits in excess of 6 times. This isn't random, it's a combination of clever engineering, sharing common platforms and parts bins, and expanding their product offerings.

It's all good, I like getting a paycheck myself, just don't believe their CAFE excuses!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I would pay for a upgrade if I keep the car but If I don't why would I upgrade the car?. I think that a stage 3 from GINTANI would go up to $12k it's not a bad price if you want to make your M3 faster than any other car.

Last edited by blanco93; 01-31-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
The Gintani twin turbo kit is STUPID expensive and I would rather supercharge the S65 any day.

It might be STUPID expensive but is not worth it for you?

Last edited by blanco93; 01-31-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanco93 View Post
It might be STUPID expensive but is not worth it for you?
No, because I would rather have a supercharger. I've heard of the Gintani TT kit being 20K-25K.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Test driving for 30 minutes and reading about it is nothing like spending 1000 of miles behind it . Just saying better to buy and trade/sell then just read about it.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
No, because I would rather have a supercharger. I've heard of the Gintani TT kit being 20K-25K.

Lol for what your paying for ESS starts at those... Also they've built like one or two of those super kits so you're basically a guinea pig.

Yeah it's not worth an extra 100-170whp
Old 02-01-2014, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Pretty much this ^^^

It's kind of hard to compare marketing hype and fleeting car show pictures (M4) to day in, day out driving (M3).

I believe that BMW will make sure that the M4 will retain the "M" experience, to do anything else would be nuts. However, until such time as the current crop of E9x owners get a chance to drive an M4, it's too early for me to make an informed choice.

Last edited by MMME30W; 02-01-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:44 AM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
I believe that BMW will make sure that the M4 will retain the "M" experience, to do anything else would be nuts.
They're going to outfit the new M with a bespoke, high-revving, normally aspirated engine? Will that be in ADDITION to the turbo 6?

That's always been the biggest difference. Handling kit and some rims? Lots of folks do that to the non-M BMWs. Doesn't make them an M even if they OUT handle an M. Quite rare to drop an S65 into a 328 though ...

I fear the new M3/M4 is a 335iSS more than the evolution of the E9x M3.

Sadly. I was looking forward to another Euro Delivery M trip ....
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
I agree with everything you stated except CAFE requirements being the single primary reason for moving away from the bespoke S65. There are plenty of other cars in BMWs lineup, to average out and meet these requirements. It is profit margins that are driving this as sharing common platforms reduces cost. I recall reading an Investor Relations presentation highlighting the fact that BMW has doubled their investment in the business, which has allowed them to grow profits in excess of 6 times. This isn't random, it's a combination of clever engineering, sharing common platforms and parts bins, and expanding their product offerings.

It's all good, I like getting a paycheck myself, just don't believe their CAFE excuses!
I never stated that it was the single reason, rather it is a significant factor. The new M3/M4 will be (roughly) 50% unique as compared to the standard 3/4 series. This is down vs. the current which is (roughly) 80%. Therefore I agree with your statement, the result will be better net profits for BMW. As a enthusiast, I would rather have something special and unique. I feel it is there in my M3. Will the next generation have the same appeal, who knows but I am keeping an open mind. Time will tell.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Lol for what your paying for ESS starts at those... Also they've built like one or two of those super kits so you're basically a guinea pig.

Yeah it's not worth an extra 100-170whp
VF doesn't go over 13K. I'm pretty sure ESS doesn't cost 20-25K either.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
They're going to outfit the new M with a bespoke, high-revving, normally aspirated engine? Will that be in ADDITION to the turbo 6?

That's always been the biggest difference. Handling kit and some rims? Lots of folks do that to the non-M BMWs. Doesn't make them an M even if they OUT handle an M. Quite rare to drop an S65 into a 328 though ...

I fear the new M3/M4 is a 335iSS more than the evolution of the E9x M3.

Sadly. I was looking forward to another Euro Delivery M trip ....
+All the Internet points I can give

Old 02-01-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Rumors only until Gintani releases the product. To be honest, it is difficult to use the power found in a stock M3. Not sure how a TT S65 would translate to real world use (aside from 1 mile races on a runway). I would also think handling would be compromised due to the added torque. Go x-pipe and stage II tune which would retain the characteristic of the M3.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Rumors only until Gintani releases the product. To be honest, it is difficult to use the power found in a stock M3. Not sure how a TT S65 would translate to real world use (aside from 1 mile races on a runway). I would also think handling would be compromised due to the added torque. Go x-pipe and stage II tune which would retain the characteristic of the M3.
Matt Farrah spent seat time in two different 700hp/500tq M3s and said that they handled the power magnificently because the chassis was so damn good. One of them was widebody track car with WIDE tires (which would be needed on a street car too) and the other was a "sleeper", a stock looking 700hp E92 M3. That review, however, was stupid because the tires on the car were too worn to give a proper review.

Either way, I think bigger wheels and better brakes would be enough for the M3 to handle the VF620 kit.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
VF doesn't go over 13K. I'm pretty sure ESS doesn't cost 20-25K either.

Yeah thats what I meant to say lol.

Quote:
Matt Farrah spent seat time in two different 700hp/500tq M3s and said that they handled the power magnificently because the chassis was so damn good.
I believe that.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 AM

I will test drive the new coupe, sedan and the current E92 before deciding which one to get. I like the current V8 and thanks to Captainaudio, I was lucky enough to sit in one for few hot laps at LRP. I can safely tell you all that it's more car than we'll ever be able to handle. I like naturally aspirated engines so getting me into the new twin turbo will be near damn impossible, especially given the ugly front end. If I'll buy/lease an M, I deserve to get a test drive in all 3 but pretty sure I'll settle into a V8 beast.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
I will test drive the new coupe, sedan and the current E92 before deciding which one to get. I like the current V8 and thanks to Captainaudio, I was lucky enough to sit in one for few hot laps at LRP. I can safely tell you all that it's more car than we'll ever be able to handle. I like naturally aspirated engines so getting me into the new twin turbo will be near damn impossible, especially given the ugly front end. If I'll buy/lease an M, I deserve to get a test drive in all 3 but pretty sure I'll settle into a V8 beast.

It'll be easier on your wallet too.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
It'll be easier on your wallet too.

I should have pre-faced everything else with this statement!
While buying "new" is great, the initial depreciation is staggering. The wife's on board so hopefully when the time comes I'll find a nice CPO or take over an existing lease with favorable terms.