Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 01-31-2014, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i6, E36 M3/4/5
Mjölnir's Build Thread

I recently purchased a 1998 M3 sedan, and will be documenting its transformation from a daily driver to an autox/HPDE tool in this thread.

The previous owner had kept up on maintenance, including recent replacement of brake pads and rotors all around, radiator, clutch, starter, and rear shocks. We were happy to find that it had rear shock mount reinforcements installed as well.

One of the first things we did with the car was remove the aftermarket alarm and stereo equipment. Here you can see the removal of the alarm unit.

While cleaning the car out, we discovered a bottle that once contained some "Obama OG" cannabis.

It appears to be misfiring based on smog results, which showed high levels of O2 and un-burned hydrocarbons.

Also according to the smog place I have a rare 2.8L M3

The valve cover gasket was leaking internally (into spark plug wells) so I'm thinking that that was the cause of poor smog results. The gasket and spark plugs have since been replaced. The valve train looks really clean especially considering the number of miles on the car (218,000.)

In addition to some basic maintenance, we also began removing unnecessary weight throughout the car, starting with the trunk carpet, sound deadening, amp, and speakers.

Then we moved on to the main cabin.

After some other minor maintenance items (trans and diff fluid, power steering cap seal, belts, etc.) and removing the hideous gray carpet, we started mocking up templates for aluminum floor pans and a dead pedal.

That covers most of the progress so far. I will try to update this thread regularly in the coming weeks when new projects are completed.

Click HERE or PM me for E36 M3 grey interior parts
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5 M/T
Sub'd. I can't wait to see it Keep us posted and keep the pics comin it's lookin good.

Last edited by vince504; 01-31-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:36 PM

Since the last post the sunroof has been removed, and we have started the process of making a carbon fiber delete panel for it.

Progress has also been made on the aluminum floor pans, and they will most likely be finished by next week. In the mean time we took the car to a local truck stop to have it weighed. As it sits right now with 1/4 tank of fuel, heavy electric seats, AC, and sound deadening tar still present, it weighed 2860 lbs.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5 M/T
Carbon fiber!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 PM

The floor panels are now completed.

We've also decided that we want to get proper racing seats soon so the stock black power seats are now for sale. More updates soon as we finish other projects.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:04 PM

Lots of progress has been made since the last update. The carbon fiber sunroof panel has been competed as well as the floor pans, door panels are done along with door handles, racing seats have been bought (and one mounting bracket made), charcoal canister removed, more sound deadening removed, and as of today, oil pan baffles made and brazed into the oil pan.

Last edited by Mjölnir; 03-15-2014 at 06:08 PM.