Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
Recall Now Showing on BMWUSA

I just went to BMWUSA.com and OWNERS Tab and then RECALLS, if you put in the last seven digits of your VIN number, you may have an update on the vacuum pump recall.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
Thanks! Just did that and confirmed I need to bring my X1 in (though my brakes seem fine). I received the initial letter back in early December, but it said I'd get another letter when the service centers were able to start taking appointments. Never did get such a second letter...
Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Just got my "official" notice. Visit set up for the 19th.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
Thanks!
Dear God, protect my ride."
Old 02-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
I typed in the data for my 2014 s-drive X1 and got a "no recall" response. The car was ordered in March, picked up in April and I thought that was during the period of recall for brake problems. Oh well, I am OK with that.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 xdrive 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteatwo View Post
I typed in the data for my 2014 s-drive X1 and got a "no recall" response. The car was ordered in March, picked up in April and I thought that was during the period of recall for brake problems. Oh well, I am OK with that.
Same for me, but with an X-drive. Exact order sequence. Sent a message to BMW from MY BMW site and they said there were no open recalls on my VIN. I was very surprised given the apparent size of this recall. Hope it's true.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 s28i & '12 X3 35i
Mine isn't yet showing its subject to recall even though it was built during the target period. My SA told me not all N20s manufactured during that time require repair. The SIB seems to confirm that.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V454-2186.pdf
Old 02-09-2014, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
So where would those "B Pillar Codes" be? I know the B Pillar is the pillar between the front and rear door.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
checked my VIN and I'm part of the recall. My dealer has the parts and I'm scheduled (Feb 20th) for the repair. I'll report back how it goes.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
My car goes in Wednesday (finally!). I've had three, possibly four incidents when I lost power assist. I still can't believe BMW wouldn't even look at my car until the recall was officially opened. Most repairs will take just a couple hours, but I'm told it will take days if the camshaft needs to be replaced.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 PM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1
My car goes in Thursday for recall fix. No issues driving or brakes but good to get fixed.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-13-2014, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
My car goes in Wednesday (finally!). I've had three, possibly four incidents when I lost power assist. I still can't believe BMW wouldn't even look at my car until the recall was officially opened. Most repairs will take just a couple hours, but I'm told it will take days if the camshaft needs to be replaced.

How did it go? Simple fix?
Old 02-13-2014, 12:54 PM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1
the repair was postponed due to the latest storm of the century in NJ.
It was so bad that a snowplow got stuck on my street. Seriously
Old 02-13-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickkassem View Post
How did it go? Simple fix?
Yep, it was the simple fix. The SA seemed surprised since I've actually experienced the loss of brake assist on several occasions. He said they've only had to replace one camshaft thus far. That owner was not having any problems.

Frustratingly, my car was just 300 miles from its next required oil change, and they wouldn't do it early. I even asked nicely knowing I had a road trip to make and would hit that mark in just a day or two. I got a firm "no, we can't". I accumulated nearly 300 miles today alone, so I expect the light to come on tomorrow. I'm sorry, but that's just idiotic. Another trip to the service dept, another loaner, more wasted time. Complete nonsense.

On a side note, I got a brand new base xDrive loaner, and finally got a chance to compare it to my M Sport. (I've never driven one of the other lines.) As expected, the ride was noticeably more compliant over our pocked Michigan roads. The servo steering wasn't as bad as I expected, although the car seemed to want to wander on the highway. I did not care for the standard leatherette seats. Oddly, the brakes had better initial bite than my car's. Throttle lag was virtually non-existent, but then I didn't experience the throttle lag in my car until it several thousand miles on it.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
[QUOTE=HotRodW;8144438]Yep, it was the simple fix. The SA seemed surprised since I've actually experienced the loss of brake assist on several occasions. He said they've only had to replace one camshaft thus far. That owner was not having any problems.

Frustratingly, my car was just 300 miles from its next required oil change, and they wouldn't do it early. I even asked nicely knowing I had a road trip to make and would hit that mark in just a day or two. I got a firm "no, we can't". I accumulated nearly 300 miles today alone, so I expect the light to come on tomorrow. I'm sorry, but that's just idiotic. Another trip to the service dept, another loaner, more wasted time. Complete nonsense.

I know this is a little off topic but has it been confirmed whether the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or is it still at the original 15,000 miles, or does it depend on the dealer.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:21 PM

[QUOTE=Forteatwo;8146511]
Quote:
I know this is a little off topic but has it been confirmed whether the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or is it still at the original 15,000 miles, or does it depend on the dealer.
I'm guessing it depends at least somewhat on your driving habits. I received my first oil change service notice somewhere around 14,000 miles. I'm now just over 26,000 and the dealer said it was due to chime at any time.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 02-15-2014, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
[QUOTE=Forteatwo;8146511]
Quote:
Yep, it was the simple fix. The SA seemed surprised since I've actually experienced the loss of brake assist on several occasions. He said they've only had to replace one camshaft thus far. That owner was not having any problems.

In Canada it's every 20000 kms and they don't like when I try to do it early.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Dear God, protect my ride."
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Getting my X1 back from the dealer tomorrow. Been there all week, they told me on the phone tonight that they replaced the camshaft, vacuum pump and re-programed the car. I had not experienced any braking issues but their mechanic said he took measurements and could tell it was out of spec. He said they replaced the vacuum pump as well in case there was any damage to the original due to the camshaft issue.