Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 4.4 Sport
Question Reading the warning messages on the cluster LCD

Its been a while since Ive been on here , I apologize but I forgot all the terminology ,hopefully I'll be able to explain :

My 05 X5 4.4 doesnt have the onboard computer. The LCD screen on the cluster would only show the following :

Range
Average fuel consumption ( L / 100km )
Average Speed ( km / h )

and if I press the button again it would turn off the display completely.

If I run out of Washer Fluid or If there is a light bulb failure , It would pop up the message on the same screen saying " Washer Fluid Low " or " Check Brake Lights " for a bit with a beeping sound and then the message will disappear but you could tell there is a warning by the 2 red arrows pointing inwards on each end of the LCD display.

Here is my question:

When that message pops up and goes away , when im only able to see the red arrows on the sides , how do I get back to that message and see what it is ?

I couldnt figure it out , I am only able to see it again when I turn the car off. It would show the message again before everything shuts off. There is gotta be a way to be able to get back to the message again but Im not sure how.

When I keep pressing the button that cycles through the display , it would cycle the range,speed and consumption and go blank and it would cycle the same again , wouldnt get to the warning messages.

Keep in mind , my MID doesnt have a on board computer button if that makes any difference.
Ads by Google
Old 02-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
The OBC and the Check Control messages are 2 different things. If you have the low OBC (only displays 3 or 4 things)...that has no affect on the Check Control System which has many more Priority 1 & 2 warnings.

When you have "status arrows" on each side of the display...it indicates that you do have Prioirty warnings. To pull them up...you press the right button on the cluster. If you have an owners manual...turn to the section titled Check Control...it should give you an updated list from what's listed in my 97 e38's list below (the systems work the same, but the X5 has a few more Priority 2 warnings):

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 02-04-2014, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 4.4 Sport
Ah ! I never thought of pressing that button that is on the right.. I knew I was missing something.
Thank you so much with the detailed answers as usual Q !!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw x5
Hi there new to this site , love it lots of information however yesterday after filling up my tank ten minutes into driving my service engine soon light came on I Check The Gas Cap It felt a little loose but it clicked . Had it scanned and this code came up p0440code . Please help , should I have the code cleared? P's it's a 2002 bmw x5 4.4i thanks
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: E53 N62; E90 N52
Q - quick question.... How do you get the rear windshield fluid the fire... I can get the front, and the headlight to go... But never the back...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleel View Post
...after filling up my tank ten minutes into driving my service engine soon light came on I Check The Gas Cap It felt a little loose but it clicked . Had it scanned and this code came up p0440code . Please help , should I have the code cleared? P's it's a 2002 bmw x5 4.4i thanks
Since the CEL/SES illuminated soon after refueling...I would presume that the light was a direct result of the gas cap. I'll also assume that you looked up what the code means...if not, remember that you can always just google "BMW OBD II xxxxx" (where x= DTC code)...and you should get 100s of hits with info. Click the link below for an example:
http://engine-codes.com/p0440_bmw.html
If you have an OBD II scanner/reader that can reset the light...then go ahead. Or you can wait for the system to shut the light off...which it will do if the culprit was actually the gas cap...and it's no securely screwed on.

BTW, hopefully you didn't refuel while the engine was running...this too will cause the CEL/SES light to illuminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk View Post
Q - quick question.... How do you get the rear windshield fluid the fire... I can get the front, and the headlight to go... But never the back...
If the rear washer pump is working properly (should be able to hear it)...you activate it by pressing the washer stalk toward the dash (past the 1st position that activates the rear wiper) and holding it until the amount of washer fluid you desire has sprayed on the rear window. You can repeat this procedure if needed.

I don't have an image of the e53's instructions from the owners manual...but I do have one from my 99 540iT...which also had a rear wiper/washer system...and works the same way as the e53's rear wiper/washer system:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 02-07-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:59 AM

Cool, thanks! I'll try it out, hopefully I wasn't pushing it down or something... I remember that it seemed to lightly flow like a small stream, is that what happens or does it spray out? Maybe it was going bad and I didn't know... Replacement pumps are cheap

Old 02-09-2014, 03:35 PM

So I changed out the pump... Still a no go... I think I hear it running but nothing in the back! I used my air compressor and tried both side, no change. Front windshield and front headlights work like a charm... I even took off the rear nozzle... I got nothing... The nozzle was clear... When I plugged in the pump cleaner ran threw so I know the filters is not Blocked. Double checked it too... Who has a super thin boroscope I can borrow!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:36 PM

Switched pumps too... So it's not electrical... Front always works... I think I got a blockage or a disconnected pipe somewhere