Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: Pontiac Trans Am
Exclamation 325i oil leak

Hello, all. First time here

I'm trying to fix an issue with the wife's car. It's a 2006 325i, and it's got a major oil leak that keeps causing the belt to slip off of the tensioner. The leak is coming from what I assume is the oil filter housing cap. I've attached a picture of not her actual car but one exactly the same to use as a diagram as i'm not entirely sure how to explain it but oil is coming out from where the metal meets the black cap part. I saw something on here about an oil filter housing gasket but i'm not entirely sure if thats the fix I need or if there's something else, most of the work I do is on American cars so this is all... 'foreign' to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oilfromhere.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	420655  
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
The thing you have circled is the oil filter cap. It screws into the metal oil filter housing. That oil filter housing is bolted to the cylinder head. There is a shaped rubber seal that is compressed between the cylinder head and the oil filter housing. You will find it described in these forums as the OFHG, Oil filter housing gasket or oil filter housing seal. Anyway, that is almost certainly what is leaking (especially if your car is more than 5 years old) and you need to replace it. Your belt is shot and one of these times when it comes off it will destroy your crankshaft seal and that is very big bucks. Fix it soon.

Last edited by jburke4689; 02-03-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
If you're saying that the oil is coming from the cap...have you tried tightening the cap?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Is it coming from the cap? Or the gasket between the engine and the oil filter housing?

If it's from the cap, did you just get an oil change?

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 PM

It's coming from the cap. It was leaking a lot before but was still negligibly manageable but then after getting an oil change it is much much worse. I havn't tried playing with the cap, my guestimation of it was that the cap was just that a cap for the area covering the oil filter and oil shouldnt be coming up to it in the first place if stuffs working right. I guess I need to take that cover off and see whats up. If it ends up being the oil filter housing gasket, is that something I can change with oil in the car or do I need to drain the oil out first?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemginner View Post
Hello, all. First time here

I'm trying to fix an issue with the wife's car. It's a 2006 325i, and it's got a major oil leak that keeps causing the belt to slip off of the tensioner. The leak is coming from what I assume is the oil filter housing cap. I've attached a picture of not her actual car but one exactly the same to use as a diagram as i'm not entirely sure how to explain it but oil is coming out from where the metal meets the black cap part. I saw something on here about an oil filter housing gasket but i'm not entirely sure if thats the fix I need or if there's something else, most of the work I do is on American cars so this is all... 'foreign' to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excellent resource available! [click here] for oil filter cap leak observations & fixes.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Excellent resource available! [click here] for oil filter cap leak observations & fixes.
Yeah, thats how I found this website. most of the things from googling it come up with responses about the gasket, which is why I inquired of people with the type of car. Oddly enough, you're exactly the reason I assume most people who drive these cars are douches. But hey, you told someone on the internet to google stuff. You, sir, get your cool points for the day
Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
purchase one of those strap wrenches, remove the oil filter cap, clean it up check the O ring seal and re-install, hopefully that will solve the problem

please dont read the other post, 100K miles help car falling apart because of oil leaks

you should be ok, cap or oil filter housing, easy fix

but like they said, replace your belt, if it breaks it will wrap around the Crank shaft and destroy the seal, chunks of the belt will get in the timing chain and vanos things and that will be big bucks to repair
Old 02-05-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemginner View Post
Yeah, thats how I found this website. most of the things from googling it come up with responses about the gasket, which is why I inquired of people with the type of car. Oddly enough, you're exactly the reason I assume most people who drive these cars are douches. But hey, you told someone on the internet to google stuff. You, sir, get your cool points for the day

But, Cupcake! Did you have a bad time trying to find an answer in those references?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
It's very easy to install the o ring incorrectly. This results in leakage at the cap.

It's not suppose to be flush with the top of the cap. It sits in a groove about 2-3mm down from the top lip

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 02-05-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
It's very easy to install the o ring incorrectly. This results in leakage at the cap.

It's not suppose to be flush with the top of the cap. It sits in a groove about 2-3mm down from the top lip

Too true....and, they flatten with time/vibration.

On the up side, easy fix....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 02-05-2014 at 10:00 PM.