Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: Anything
Longevity of a 328i Xdrive

I'm in the market for a newer car. Currently I have a 2012 Ford Edge with the Ecoboost engine. I'm having nothing but trouble with this SUV. I was thinking of purchasing a 2011 328i with the Xdrive and navigation package. Are there certain things I should be aware of with this car? Also would 150k-200k miles be realistic from this car? I have read that many simply fall apart after 120k miles. I find this hard to believe. I have read about the water pump issues, but I can't believe that affects every BMW out there. Any help would be appreciated as well as anything I might not have even thought of. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
A water pump is a water pump. It's no reason not to buy a car. Provided you're willing to do proper maintenance (MORE than is required for a US car) there is no German-made car of any brand that won't do 200K miles.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Hmm yes you can put 200k m. Easy if you take care of it and is also true about the water or fuel pump issues but not sure either if they have that issue in 2011to present

Just make sure the car you're buying still has the factory warranty

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-03-2014, 04:56 PM

What are the fuel pump issues? Also I'm looking at CPO only with the 100,000 mile maintenance. One dealer told me that it is also a 100k mile warranty. Not sure if he knew the difference. I do all the proper up keep with my cars as far as fluid changes and filter changes. What are additional items that need to be tended to on this model? My Edge needs to go because it has been in the shop 18 times for various reason and is 2 years old with 28,000 on it. They have had it for a week to replace all fuel lines, seat tracks on both front seats and to try and get the Nav working correctly. Two weeks ago the power steering pump was replaced as well as the interior lights. Some of these items are on their second replacement. I don't wanna know what this thing is going to do after the warranty is up and Ford is no real help. I know water pumps go as well as other items, but they shouldn't go until close to or over 100k miles IMO. I have read threads with them going at 60k miles and assume they are on the pricier side to replace.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock79 View Post
What are the fuel pump issues? Also I'm looking at CPO only with the 100,000 mile maintenance. One dealer told me that it is also a 100k mile warranty.
That is for the 335i, with the HPFP issues. The 328i is not affected.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Anything else?
Old 02-05-2014, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
328 should be solid. No issues with water pump or turbos (328 does not have turbos). With adequate maintenance you should not have a problem hitting 150K miles. You'll love the handling and steering that feels like an extension of your hands.

Good luck with the purchase. Hope to see you at a BMW CCA meet. I am in Central NJ.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:42 PM

Where is the BMW CCA meet at? I'm guessing Englishtown.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
You should be aware of the runflat tire issues.

Also google Mike Miller BMW for a old school maintenance schedule
and a big history on BMW strengths and weaknesses.
Whats wrong with the Ford?

Last edited by ctuna; 02-05-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Mike Miller needs to bring his "old school" maintenance schedule into the 21st century; technology has improved, there is a point where the extra maintenance does nothing but increase cost of ownership.

Also, what are the run flat tire issues?
Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
My Edge has been in the shop 18 times as of now. I have owned it for 23 months. There are to many different things wrong. It still in the shop right now and since last Thursday.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
Also, what are the run flat tire issues?
No issues at all if you replace them with "normal" (i.e. go-flat) performance tires. I wouldn't even wait for RFT's to wear out.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truvor View Post
No issues at all if you replace them with "normal" (i.e. go-flat) performance tires. I wouldn't even wait for RFT's to wear out.
I have 62,000 trouble free miles on my run flats and my car looks and runs like new. No issues.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I have 62,000 trouble free miles on my run flats and my car looks and runs like new. No issues.
You must be a VERY careful driver.....with all those potholes in NJ 62Kmi is unusual for any tires, leave alone run flats (if you really mean the same set)....

Regardless, I find RFTs to be unnecessarily stiff and heavy. The ride quality suffers without any added benefit. The risk of bending a rim is also much higher as many folks here have learned the hard way. The RFTs that came with my 3er are not that good on the snow and ice - the main reason I got them replaced within two weeks of purchasing the car. Plus they are expensive to replace compared to go-flat performance tires, which also have superior ride and handling characteristics. IMO, BMW uses run-flats primarily for cost-saving reasons - no spare tire, no tools....
Old 02-05-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I'm on the 3rd BMW with run flat tires and I haven't had any issues...so I gotta ask again, since you didn't really answer my question...what are the "run flat tire issues"?

Edit: Nvm, saw your answer above. Well, I have never bent a rim, and I don't expect all season tires to be good on snow and ice - that is why I have RFT winter tires. They're also not a cost-saving issue...you're overestimating how little that toolkit costs BMW. They are a safety issue...just read some of the posts on here about being rear-ended on the highway while changing a tire (recent one in the F30 forum).

Last edited by ptrcd003; 02-05-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
You must be a VERY careful driver.....with all those potholes in NJ 62Kmi is unusual for any tires, leave alone run flats (if you really mean the same set)
Wore the backs out at 50k and will be making an appointment to change the fronts (62k) in a couple of weeks. They have just over 1/8" left on them. Funny thing is I live in Jersey and work in Philadelphia and I have slammed many pot holes and never had a flat or bent my rims. I had one 4 wheel alignment at the 50k rear tyre replacement. All 4 tyres are wearing perfectly even and the car always tracks straight and zips around tight corners. I don't baby my car and drive over 20k a year, car will be 3 years old in March. My work commute is 36 miles one way with 30 being highway. I am probably the only poster child advocate for run flats!

I also want to add that this is my first BMW and the best car I ever bought after owning Japanese cars for for over 30 years. I am so glad I didn't listen to the don't buy a BMW they break down every day BS! I am going for the 200k challenge so we'll see!

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,

Last edited by 3284me; 02-06-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
What are the fuel pump issues? Also I'm looking at CPO only with the 100,000 mile maintenance. One dealer told me that it is also a 100k mile warranty. Not sure if he knew the difference. I do all the proper up keep with my cars as far as fluid changes and filter changes. What are additional items that need to be tended to on this model? My Edge needs to go because it has been in the shop 18 times for various reason and is 2 years old with 28,000 on it. They have had it for a week to replace all fuel lines, seat tracks on both front seats and to try and get the Nav working correctly. Two weeks ago the power steering pump was replaced as well as the interior lights. Some of these items are on their second replacement. I don't wanna know what this thing is going to do after the warranty is up and Ford is no real help. I know water pumps go as well as other items, but they shouldn't go until close to or over 100k miles IMO. I have read threads with them going at 60k miles and assume they are on the pricier side to replace.

No longer an issue - resolved years back.

If depending on a vendor to fix your BMW, you should save, baby, save! You're gonna need a nest egg....
Old 02-06-2014, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
I'm on the 3rd BMW with run flat tires and I haven't had any issues...so I gotta ask again, since you didn't really answer my question...what are the "run flat tire issues"?

Edit: Nvm, saw your answer above. Well, I have never bent a rim, and I don't expect all season tires to be good on snow and ice - that is why I have RFT winter tires. They're also not a cost-saving issue...you're overestimating how little that toolkit costs BMW. They are a safety issue...just read some of the posts on here about being rear-ended on the highway while changing a tire (recent one in the F30 forum).
Give it up, if you expect reason over ridicule on this topic.

I like my RFTs and both of our cars are on their second set. I do appreciate the safety aspect of the technology and the handling of the new Conti SSRs on me 3'er is simply great. In fact, if you didn't know otherwise, you'd swear these were go flats.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:

Cost!

Ride!

Availability!

I see your join date - likely you've a buckboard suspension for earlier gen, hard ridin' RFT's. You can fix that....and grossly improve handling; eliminate pothole explosions....
Old 02-06-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Cost!

Ride!

Availability!

I see your join date - likely you've a buckboard suspension for earlier gen, hard ridin' RFT's. You can fix that....and grossly improve handling; eliminate pothole explosions....
Running FSDs with Bridgestone RE960 tires.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
running fsds with bridgestone re960 tires.

Name:  Formal Smiley.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  4.1 KB
Old 02-06-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
1. With RFTs on, the car pulled steering wheel out of my hands more than once. No? Find a nice, deep rut left from countless trucks and try not to let the car settle in the bottom of it.

2. I absolutely cannot stand rattles in my car's interior. It sounded like a dump truck. Gone with regular tires.

3. (and this is The Biggest Issue) No spare tire. Granted, only a feeble-minded individual would conclude that you do not need spare tire if you have run-flats, but that's what feeble-minded individuals at BMW decided to do.

First 1,600 miles with original tires (Potenzas RFT) were absolutely fabulous. Tons of grip, very tight turn-in and NO negatives. But that was in Europe on proper roads that are also properly maintained. Then the car came back to U.S. - not a friendly environment for run-flat tires. Or for BMWs in general, for that matter. I only wish I threw them into the dumpster immediately instead of waiting for a year.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
Quote:
The location changes every month. Go to the BMW CCA NJ Chapter site to get the date/location. Last meeting was a couple of weeks ago at Morristown BMW. The perk to CCA Club members was that all parts were discounted 60% throughout the meeting.

Guido
Old 02-06-2014, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Grammarians would say you ain't kidding!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 PM

I'm not worried about the RFT's at all, I had them on my Vette and have experience with them. The tires are the least of my worries as that is a simple fix and something every vehicle needs at some point. Now the fact there in no spare or any tools is something that is more alarming. RFT's are not guaranteed to stay in one piece after being punctured and following the protocol.