Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Anyone with this problem?

I have a 2011 328i sedan with 62k miles that has been regularly serviced at the dealer. Until now I've only had a single problem with a wheel bearing that was fixed easily and no big deal. This morning on the way to work. When I tried to accelerate aggressively it had a jerky and hesitating feeling and then finally went ahead into gear. No engine lights, no noises. It felt like it was trying to shift but was hesitating. Or possibly inadequate fuel was getting to the motor. On the way home from work I re enacted this several times. If I accelerate smoothly it has no issues, cruises on the interstate and has no problems downshifting when slowing down. It only occurs when you aggressively accelerate. It even downshifts fine when climbing the hills to our house. It seemed to do it at low and high speeds. The car was cold both times I tested this. Has anyone else had similar issues? Or ideas what this is. I'm not sure whether we are looking at a fuel system problem or a transmission problem.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
This hasn't happened to me, but since you seem to be able to re-create it I suggest a test to see if it is fuel/load delivery or a slow shift. Get it going to the and before you accelerate aggressively put it in Sport mode (slide the shifter to the left from D) and down shift. That will hold the gear a bit longer plus it will eliminate the shift from the possibilities (assuming that you don't need to go from 6th to 4th). If the hesitation happens it probably is not a slow shift.

NOTE: While it is in S, you will be able to see what gear it is in (it will say M2 - M6 on the display), after manually downshifting, it will go down one. If when you hammer it, it drops again it obviously needed to shift again so you will need to re-test but start from a different speed. You really shouldn't have to be near redlining it to do this. Not sure how cold the engine is when you see this, but it really isn't good to hammer it until things warm up. cold=poor lubricity of fluids + wot = bad for the things that make it go.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
NOTE: While it is in S, you will be able to see what gear it is in (it will say M2 - M6 on the display), after manually downshifting, it will go down one. If when you hammer it, it drops again it obviously needed to shift again so you will need to re-test but start from a different speed. You really shouldn't have to be near redlining it to do this. Not sure how cold the engine is when you see this, but it really isn't good to hammer it until things warm up. cold=poor lubricity of fluids + wot = bad for the things that make it go.
Huh?! When the transmission is in sport mode, it displays 'DS', and shows M1, M2, etc. only if you have manually selected a gear!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilt View Post
Huh?! When the transmission is in sport mode, it displays 'DS', and shows M1, M2, etc. only if you have manually selected a gear!
Yep, I put them backwards, I should have said downshift and then it will tell you what gear you are in. However, for the test, it doesn't matter, the point is downshift manually to help diagnose the issue, and to look at what gear you are in to see if it downshifts again when you accelerate.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyc View Post
I have a 2011 328i sedan with 62k miles that has been regularly serviced at the dealer. Until now I've only had a single problem with a wheel bearing that was fixed easily and no big deal. This morning on the way to work. When I tried to accelerate aggressively it had a jerky and hesitating feeling and then finally went ahead into gear. No engine lights, no noises. It felt like it was trying to shift but was hesitating. Or possibly inadequate fuel was getting to the motor. On the way home from work I re enacted this several times. If I accelerate smoothly it has no issues, cruises on the interstate and has no problems downshifting when slowing down. It only occurs when you aggressively accelerate. It even downshifts fine when climbing the hills to our house. It seemed to do it at low and high speeds. The car was cold both times I tested this. Has anyone else had similar issues? Or ideas what this is. I'm not sure whether we are looking at a fuel system problem or a transmission problem.

No lights does not mean no codes....HERE