Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i Sedan
Rubber Trim/Gaskets Around Doors

What do you fellow BMW addicts recommend for the rubber (?) trim around the doors, which is exposed to the sun and weather? Is ArmorAll ok? I think the owner's manual says not to use anything with silicon in it. I have no idea what's in ArmorAll. Any other suggestions?
Ads by Google
Old 02-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
What do you fellow BMW addicts recommend for the rubber (?) trim around the doors, which is exposed to the sun and weather? Is ArmorAll ok? I think the owner's manual says not to use anything with silicon in it. I have no idea what's in ArmorAll. Any other suggestions?
Armor all is awful. Use gummi pfledge (pronounced goo-me flay-guh) it works wonders for rubber trim pieces.

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 02-03-2014, 08:14 PM

And where might I find gummi fledge? I've never seen it.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Quote:
Amazon has it!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 02-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
One gent I know who works on antique windshields uses Glycerin to re-invigorate the old rubber.

I don't know about the silicone issue - I usually spray my door seals with light silicone at least once a year. I do try not to get it all over the paint.

Armorall has a lot of silicone in it - as do many, many car products and paint treatments. Silicone must be removed from paint before any repair work is done or new paint does not adhere properly.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
One gent I know who works on antique windshields uses Glycerin to re-invigorate the old rubber.

I don't know about the silicone issue - I usually spray my door seals with light silicone at least once a year. I do try not to get it all over the paint.

Armorall has a lot of silicone in it - as do many, many car products and paint treatments. Silicone must be removed from paint before any repair work is done or new paint does not adhere properly.

Indeed - silicone oil is "cheater's wax" -- often used by honest, caring purveyors of Pre Owned Vehicles to make them look like new. Nope, don't last.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Never use armor all or anything silicone based on rubber. Clean them with 1Z deep cleaner and use Krytox or Gummi, for the outside trim, same but use B303 for UV protection.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
+1 on gummi pfledge

Don't use silicone. It will cause squeaks.

In general, you don't want to use a silicone spray any where in the car. It will make noise. It's better to use a white lithium grease or the like.

Even WD-40 is bad. It dries things out over time. Eventually, squeaks come back. If you want a lubricant to last, it's gotta be grease based, not oil.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
Only problem with using lube is that if you get it on seals anywhere near window glass, you'll have streaks up and down your windows every time you raise or lower them...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
OP, take a look at Nordic Kat's Convertible Top Sticky. Lots of excellent transferrable advice there, and much discussion of various products.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 AM

So, you can use B303 Aerospace Protectant on the exterior door trim/rubber? We used the stuff on our inflatable Zodiac, exposed 24/7, and it worked great. It is widely available in slightly different versions.

Based on the advice given here so far, I won't use ArmorAll. I wonder what they smear on the tire sidewalls at the local car wash to "dress" them?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
OP, take a look at Nordic Kat's Convertible Top Sticky. Lots of excellent transferrable advice there, and much discussion of various products.
Thanks.....just went there....what an excellent contribution. Now that I've seen the pictures, I have to say I'm glad I don't have a convertible! While they're beautiful, they look really complicated.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
So, you can use B303 Aerospace Protectant on the exterior door trim/rubber? We used the stuff on our inflatable Zodiac, exposed 24/7, and it worked great. It is widely available in slightly different versions.

Based on the advice given here so far, I won't use ArmorAll. I wonder what they smear on the tire sidewalls at the local car wash to "dress" them?
Crap most likely. It should be water-based, and most aren't. Adam's makes some nice tire dressing; but it's really important to clean the rubber so it's black again before.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:

I like 303 on my boat stuff plus its a sunscreen for the exposed rubber/plastic BMW trim / molding parts.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 02-04-2014, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:

I love 303 aerospace. It's a great rubber and vinyl UV protectant.

BUT, it squeaks! don't use it on door seals.

You're better off using baby powder over 303 aerospace on the seals.

Gummi pfledge or baby powder are the only 2 things I would use on the door seals.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
and the name Means "Rubber Care" In German

and get some dupont "Krytox" while you are at it,

that is great stuff on rubber

Read Kats Sticky on keeping your convertible top seals in shape at the very top of the threads, she shows both rubber care products in action
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post

Gosh-a-mighty, man....yer moniker's Hot Maroon!

Is it official?