Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-sport
Now there is a CLA250 in my rear view mirror

The good:

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...#axzz2sKai2vVI

The bad:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/m...ba3_story.html

It's ugly how Warren Brown waited a week to really lay into BMW pricing.
'86 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 180k
'00 Lincoln LS
'00 328i 120k, Superstorm Sandied
'08 535xi
'13 335xi M-sport, 6 MT
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
LA Times article goes along with my thoughts. I'd rather have a simple car that drives well than any extras.

The Washington Post writer makes no sense. Part of his reasoning is safety... Maybe. He makes it seem that without lane departure warning and backup cameras a car is undriveable. How did he ever function before without them? He also admits that he doesn't see a difference between the anemic, limp drives of these economy midsize cars that are FWD, many with CVT, and some underpowered... And he would be willing to sacrifice these 'imperceptible' differences for more gadgets.

Sadly, the average consumer will agree with the WP article.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
The average consumer has no clue what driving feel is. To them, a Toyota Camry is a great driving/riding car.

So BMW (always?)has a difficult proposition. How do you sell a better engineered/handling vehicle at a price that other car companies load with tangible, visual options that the average consumer wants/expects?

To be honest, I really don't get how BMW has gotten this far selling something via feel. From a purely objective standpoint, I know and can see/tell that BMWs are short on all the luxury items that other makers have at the same or better price. Sure, I know I can tell the difference in handling when driving an Acura, or Audi, but I honestly think the average customer couldn't tell the difference. With a company's stated goal of "Making money", it's no wonder the current 3 series has been watered down as a "driver's car".

Sadly, with the new lineup I've seen, even BMW may lose me as a customer in the near future. My personal desires/needs are (I think?) simple. Manual Transmission, AWD (I live and drive in snow country), and either a small suv like body, or wagon. Can't get an X3 like that anymore. They've stopped selling the 328ixdrive wagon manual as well. Don't think I can even option a standard 328 xdrive with a manual at all these days.

About the only thing left on the market I would buy new today might be a MINI Countryman, and I suppose a Golf R?

Sure, part of it is blamed on government, but part of it is also blamed on the average joe. So long as BMW wants to generate more revenue/sales, they're going to have to cater to the average joe.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i Sedan
I think the emphasis on automatic transmissions probably relates in part to saving the planet stuff/emissions/economy. No, I don't subscribe to the global warming religion (but there I go again....don't want to hijack this thread as I know the topic has been beaten to death).

I personally really, really like the Steptronic setup, even the feel of the shift lever. I got rid of a Mercedes C350 to get my 328i. The MB had lane departure and a backup camera. They worked, but I NEVER relied on the lane departure indicators, alone, before changing lanes, or the backup camera either. I still remember how to turn my head either way, and always do. More than once, there's been someone maintaining station on me in the blind spot, something I never do to other drivers.

The Mercedes technology interface is inferior to BMW's iDrive, and the Mercedes dashboard is much more cluttered.

I will say the MB C250 has a pretty eager 4 cyl/transmission combination.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BWM 335i Coupe
Wow, that is a pretty biased article (one might even describe it as a bad article). It appears that the writer is only interested in features in a vehicle relating to price point. In regards to this, sure, Kia and Hyundai are now finally doing a good job with this. It doesn't take into consideration handling tests, horsepower, drive system, quality of leather, innovations, or other independent testing done that usually puts BMW in a class by itself. On paper the Genesis, the Cadenza, and even the Mercedes match up with BMW, but in practice, they continue to fall way short of the title of the ultimate driving machine. There is a reason that magazines like Car and Driver have had such praise for BMW.

And to be honest, a 2.0 liter CLA with front wheel drive and a friggin' backup camera at $36,000 is not better than a stock rear-wheel drive 328i.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan
Quite honestly, if you have to rely on the Lane Departure Warning for safety, you should not be driving at all. Period.

Mick
Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoo View Post
And to be honest, a 2.0 liter CLA with front wheel drive and a friggin' backup camera at $36,000 is not better than a stock rear-wheel drive 328i.
You and I might agree on this, but frankly, I don't really believe that average joe cares. Nor would they even know the difference between front or rear drive.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:57 AM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
To me, the point of the article is that the gap in pricing between say a Hyundai and a BMW is growing even more when you factor in features/options, including those that are safety related and available from all manufacturers (for the most part). One thing I didn't see, but I believe fits with this argument and is true is that the gap in performance/drive among them all is shrinking.

That is a pretty dangerous combination for any business.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
The ugly....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review
2008 E91 station wagon 21K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, Dunlop Winter Sports, Cocomats (back to the 1970s!)

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
This reporter looks like he always wanted a bmw, but has to settle with Kia or Hyundai..

Just thrown in the Merc to make his article look better to the average driver.

He got some points right though about pricing options.. and these must have caused him to miss the bimmer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using BimmerApp mobile app

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Old 02-05-2014, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328xi wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick the Quick View Post
Quite honestly, if you have to rely on the Lane Departure Warning for safety, you should not be driving at all. Period.

Mick
Couldn't agree more.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Not a "real" Merc.....Cheap plastics in a cheap looking cabin encased in a Moon Rover....Fact. Guess they want the Camry crowd now.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick the Quick View Post

Mick
Does the car park itself?? Ya see i'm a Numbskull consumer that doesn't know how to drive.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Ugly for MBzzzzzzzz
'86 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 180k
'00 Lincoln LS
'00 328i 120k, Superstorm Sandied
'08 535xi
'13 335xi M-sport, 6 MT