Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-04-2014, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320D M Sport 2011
320D M Sport 2011 - Service Filter Query

Hi,
I booked my car into the local main dealer for an Oil Service. It has CBS servicing and I only noticed the Oil symbol was due.
It was the car's second service and therefore oil change.
Without knowing, they also 'serviced' the Fuel Filter, Intake Silencer and Microfilter which ended up costing me double the original quote.
Following this, I looked on the BMW website which advises the Fuel Filter and Intake Silencer Filters are due for replacement every third oil change.
Upon querying this, the service adviser said my model was due these filter changes every second oil change, not third. These are 'new rules' direct from BMW specifically for this model (although the BMW UK website still says 3rd oil change).
Please can anyone advise if this is fact or fiction?
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2014, 04:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
so is your car still under warranty? I thought all maintenance was free for 4 years 50K miles?

if its out of warranty, are they not suppose to tell you what they are going to do and you approve it before they do it?

if you have to pay for it I would think it would be your decision to do it or not
Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
so is your car still under warranty? I thought all maintenance was free for 4 years 50K miles?
OP is in the UK, free maintenance is a US/CA thing only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensheppard View Post
...It was the car's second service and therefore oil change. Without knowing, they also 'serviced' the Fuel Filter, Intake Silencer and Microfilter which ended up costing me double the original quote.
Following this, I looked on the BMW website which advises the Fuel Filter and Intake Silencer Filters are due for replacement every third oil change.
Upon querying this, the service adviser said my model was due these filter changes every second oil change, not third. These are 'new rules' direct from BMW specifically for this model (although the BMW UK website still says 3rd oil change).
Please can anyone advise if this is fact or fiction?
I think it's probably fact; they changed the interval on 335d in US/CA from three to two oil changes. The fuel filter change can be done DIY, but it's a hassle because there are a couple tricks to purge any air.

Don't ever let them change the Intake Silencer (engine air filter) and Microfilter (cabin filter) - they're dead easy to DIY. Tell the dealer that they should refund you the labor they charged you for them.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
The air silencer on the intake is a small cavity that sits off the intake boot from the air box to the throttle body.

This is a non-serviceable item....meaning there is nothing to service. There is no filter, no fluid, no anything to change or maintain....

There no reason to change it or replace it unless it is damaged or broken.

Damaging or breaking this part is 1 out of a million. Unless there is physically force to damage the air silencer, I don't see how it could have broken.

This part is also not removed to service the microfilter or do an oil change, fuel filter maybe. But I doubt it.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 02-04-2014 at 01:30 PM.