Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 320i estate
Hello and a stereo head unit replacement question

Hi All

My first post on this forum, I hope someone can assist. I recently had the standard head unit on my 2009 320i tourer replaced with a Panasonic unit by a professional ICE installer, with the necessary adaptors for steering wheel controls etc. The reason being I wanted a DAB radio and Ipod connectivity and I thought that a replacement unit would be a better solution than a DAB-FM transmitter. The stereo works fine, but if left for more than a few minutes, loses all it's settings and goes back to demo mode. My installer put in a live feed from the fusebox instead of from the ignition, no change. He now thinks that he may have to put a live feed direct from the battery, I am not convinced and think the stereo may be faulty. Anyone experienced anything similar?
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
You could have a weak battery .

You could have a weak battery .
If you do when you start the car it will drop below the minimum
voltage required for the radio memory setting to be maintained.
The voltage line used to maintain the memory must go to a constant
source also . And there are many sources that seem to be alive but go to
sleep after a certain number of minutes.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=head+unit

Last edited by ctuna; 02-04-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
The HU should always be connected to a constant 12v.

The ignition needs to be connected to the HU so it knows when to turn on and when to shut off.

You can use the cigg lighter as a trigger for ignition since it is switched with ignition.

Most of the circuits on the fuse panel are shut off after the car enters sleep mode.

You need a constant 12v from the battery. One option the installer can do is run a cable from the positive jump terminal under the hood and route it into the ECU box. The ECU box has an opening through the firewall into the cabin and he can fish the cable through there to bring it to the radio. Make sure he fuses it properly.

Refer to JB4 USB cable install guide if you need more reference for the ECU box routing.

There is a cover over the positive jump terminal, if you look below the red cap, there is a black cover. Remove the 10mm? bolt and you have access to a another nut so you can attach a ring terminal from the cable to the HU.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 02-05-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 AM

Thanks

Many thanks guys, the installer is coming over tomorrow, so we'll see how he gets on. A weak battery may be the cause, since the auto stop/start is not working and I have been told that could be also due to a weak battery. I did have the battery on charge for about 10 hours a couple of weeks ago though and that has not made any difference.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM

If the time and date in the car is not resetting, I doubt this is a battery issue.

I'm pretty sure your "constant" 12v from the fuse panel is shutting off after the car enters sleep mode. There's only 1 or 2 circuits that stay on permanently on the fuse panel. You'll spend hours trying to find that fuse location so I would just do what I said above.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 AM

Sorted!

My installer fitted a power lead from the battery (he thought it would be no more hassle and neater than going from the front +ve terminal). I now have a stereo that remembers it's settings and I'm a happy chap. Many thanks for the sage advice.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
If the time and date in the car is not resetting, I doubt this is a battery issue.

I'm pretty sure your "constant" 12v from the fuse panel is shutting off after the car enters sleep mode. There's only 1 or 2 circuits that stay on permanently on the fuse panel. You'll spend hours trying to find that fuse location so I would just do what I said above.
Just wanted to comment that, in my opinion, fdriller9's responses are consistently among the most helpful posts on this forum.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
Just wanted to comment that, in my opinion, fdriller9's responses are consistently among the most helpful posts on this forum.
Thanks! I try to help where I can