Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:39 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
shopping for X5 V8

Hi X5 forum!!
I'm shopping for a V8 X5 in my price range. Although I'm not big into automatic transmissions nor SUVs, my new job will require me to get to the hospital in ALL weathers incld. crazy Chicago snowy winters starting July and since I am a BMW enthusiast, I would like an X5 (instead of getting a 550i M sport) mostly for the ground clearance and it's X drive.

The X5s I'm looking at that fall within my price range as someone who's lower-middle class borderline poor (lol) have higher mileages at around 70-80k miles. I'd like to hold onto the car for long term rather than drive for 3 years and then dump it (although that can be an option once my training is over). My E46 lasted me over 150k miles (I forgot exactly how much) before the engine was worn out due to burning excessive oil and a coolant leak that no one was able to fix, and a leaking windshield washer fluid tank.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from all the X5 owners who have owned their cars for over 50k miles and your experiences. How reliable is the V8 in this car, and the auto trans? Any problems or major maintenance issues with the engine, transmission, and the X drive system? Anything I should look out for?

Looking forward to your replies
Old 02-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
instead of asking for people to relply to your request (and reading the 5 or 6 biased posts of those that reply) you will be better served by researching the hundreds of posts that will more fully answer the question... I mean it is simply impossible to make a decision based on this thread.

Like asking about "whats the best course of drug therapy" omn a forum, instead of reading up on the clincial trial results

These cars are minimally maintained (becuase BMW likes to not be at a competitive disadvantage so all mfgs really skimp on maintnance) Even cars with "full dealer records" arent special. BMW doesnt do a tranny fluid service until 100k for example.

Buying at 80k and holding to 200k is going to be a massive crapshoot. IMO

Some will be OK. but some will be money pits. Are you sure you can afford a big V8 outside of warranty?

FInally there are AWD cars without bloated and wasteful V8s that arent SUVs. An X5 with snow tires and a 5 series Xdrive with snows are the same in terms of getting to the hospital. The same. Buy the car that best fits ALL your needs.

IMO
Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 4.8i
Borderline poor...
..shops for high mileage V8 x5 ...lol wut
Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
The N62 V8 has two very weak points that are crazy expensive to fix. Coolant pipe o ring and valve stem seals. Search here but also E65 forum to understand how that motor can send you from borderline poor to poor. Other than that that, it's standard used BMW buyer beware stuff it seems. Going from an E46 to E70 is going to be a shock. The E70 will feel seriously big and top heavy and no matter what BMW did to fight physics, it's not as nimble handling as a 3 or 5 series.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:24 AM
tappa tappa toit

Thanks guys. I've driven other BMWs after my E46, and I had borrowed my cousin's X5 many times. It felt very solid. I've also read about the coolant and the valve stem issue, but how common are these problems? And has BMWNA stepped up to offer some sort of extended coverage for it?

Also, how is the reliability of the X5 30i?

Last edited by mujjuman; 02-05-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
instead of asking for people to relply to your request (and reading the 5 or 6 biased posts of those that reply) you will be better served by researching the hundreds of posts that will more fully answer the question... I mean it is simply impossible to make a decision based on this thread.

Like asking about "whats the best course of drug therapy" omn a forum, instead of reading up on the clincial trial results

These cars are minimally maintained (becuase BMW likes to not be at a competitive disadvantage so all mfgs really skimp on maintnance) Even cars with "full dealer records" arent special. BMW doesnt do a tranny fluid service until 100k for example.

Buying at 80k and holding to 200k is going to be a massive crapshoot. IMO

Some will be OK. but some will be money pits. Are you sure you can afford a big V8 outside of warranty?

FInally there are AWD cars without bloated and wasteful V8s that arent SUVs. An X5 with snow tires and a 5 series Xdrive with snows are the same in terms of getting to the hospital. The same. Buy the car that best fits ALL your needs.

IMO
The extra ground clearance that the X5 has may help in certain circumstances. Problem with the 5 series is the E60 is ugly and has the old iDrive and the F10 looks great and has a decent iDrive. Unfortunately it also drives like a boat. May as well buy the X5.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-05-2014, 05:13 PM
tappa tappa toit

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
The extra ground clearance that the X5 has may help in certain circumstances. Problem with the 5 series is the E60 is ugly and has the old iDrive and the F10 looks great and has a decent iDrive. Unfortunately it also drives like a boat. May as well buy the X5.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
That's exactly my concern... ground clearance. I've driven my dad's SUV when I needed to before snow was plowed and it's a beast.
I can afford a lower mileage X3, but I dont want an X3 lol. I like the E60's looks though, with the MTech.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
Thanks guys. I've driven other BMWs after my E46, and I had borrowed my cousin's X5 many times. It felt very solid. I've also read about the coolant and the valve stem issue, but how common are these problems? And has BMWNA stepped up to offer some sort of extended coverage for it?

Also, how is the reliability of the X5 30i?

More than common, endemic. t's not if but when.
If BMW is doing anything, it certainly is not getting reported here.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
Hi X5 forum!!
I'm shopping for a V8 X5 in my price range. Although I'm not big into automatic transmissions nor SUVs, my new job will require me to get to the hospital in ALL weathers incld. crazy Chicago snowy winters starting July and since I am a BMW enthusiast, I would like an X5 (instead of getting a 550i M sport) mostly for the ground clearance and it's X drive.

The X5s I'm looking at that fall within my price range as someone who's lower-middle class borderline poor (lol) have higher mileages at around 70-80k miles. I'd like to hold onto the car for long term rather than drive for 3 years and then dump it (although that can be an option once my training is over). My E46 lasted me over 150k miles (I forgot exactly how much) before the engine was worn out due to burning excessive oil and a coolant leak that no one was able to fix, and a leaking windshield washer fluid tank.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from all the X5 owners who have owned their cars for over 50k miles and your experiences. How reliable is the V8 in this car, and the auto trans? Any problems or major maintenance issues with the engine, transmission, and the X drive system? Anything I should look out for?

Looking forward to your replies
If you're talking about the N62 V8, I would not call that engine reliable in terms of seals. Some common issues include leaking valve cover gaskets, timing cover gaskets, alternator bracket gasket, valve stem seals, and the infamous coolant pipe issue. Other than that, the internal parts are durable.

As for the ZF 6HP26 transmission, the Mechatronics sealing sleeve will eventually leak fluid and the plastic transmission oil pan is prone to warping, which may crack and leak fluid.

If I were you, I'd steer clear of the N62 equipped X5 unless you either have a good aftermarket warranty or the funds to afford the repairs and maintenance.

Last edited by 07 E63650i; 02-05-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Rolling Coal in the SAV

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D, '07 550i
Your best bet is finding an E70 with the 3.0 Inline 6. That engine is probably the most reliable engine BMW has ever built. The V8s can be tricky and as a poster above stated, a crapshoot.

If you want a cheap AWD SUV to drive that won't cost a fortune to maintain, get a Lexus RX330. Yea it will be boring, but it will be better for someone on a budget.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM
tappa tappa toit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeX5 View Post
Your best bet is finding an E70 with the 3.0 Inline 6. That engine is probably the most reliable engine BMW has ever built. The V8s can be tricky and as a poster above stated, a crapshoot.

If you want a cheap AWD SUV to drive that won't cost a fortune to maintain, get a Lexus RX330. Yea it will be boring, but it will be better for someone on a budget.
Makes sense. Thank you all for your wonderful advice.
I will look at the 6cyl X5s and also will look into the E9x X drives with 6spd. I found a few within my price range with low miles. The V8s can wait until after my training when I'll be able to get one brand new